The case for taking Ezekiel Elliot at # 4

jday

Reaction score
Yeah, don't care. You make whatever claims about your credentials that you'd like. No different from anyone else. You'll puff your chest out when you get one right and have to be called on one the ones you got wrong.

I'm not trying to suggest I've never been wrong. You on the other hand can't get past the difference between fact and opinion. So, by comparison, I'd rather be wrong than be semantically challenged.

Wow! That backtracking happened even sooner than I expected! :omg:

Oh so you just like the sound of your keyboard and the safety behind your monitor.

smh. Not backtracking at all. As I said before if either Goff or Ramsey slides and/or the Cowboys are able to trade back and get more value out of their 4th overall pick, I could see them leaning that way. However, if the aforementioned are off the board and they get stuck, at that point I believe the BPA on their board would be Zeke. As for the #22, that just sounds exactly like something Jerry would do.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nope, it really doesn't. Because players "prove" themselves in contract years all of the time, onlly to disappoint the very next season.

Whereas rookies bust and never show that they can play in the league. But you'll try to ignore that. And Lamar Miller has steadily improved during his career, the furthest thing from a contract year guy. But nice try.

You said capable back's are there for the taking every year and that's just not true...at least, not on Zeke's level, who can do everything well...maybe not great, but well enough to be great behind the Cowboys line.

We watched the same guy walk away two years Angie and weren't willing to pay him less money with no draft pick needed. And the. #2 leading rusher was available this year. Strike two.

Nope...not a fact. Your opinion. There were times where the line made the running back shine...but even those offensive line will admit there were times where the running back made them look good. It's a symbiotic relationship...and sure Morris and Dmac will have opportunities behind that line, but they will never be able to carry the team like Murray did in 2014.

Talk about opinion! But yeah, you try to knock this line and two thousand yard running backs along the way. And make yourself look foolish in the process.

Never said there weren't other running backs...I simply am asserting that there aren't other running backs of Zeke's quality.

Nothing different than was said about Trent Richardson either.

Mine have just as much substances as your opinions that you like to call "facts." lol

Yeah, that "no other running backs of Zeke's quality" sure rings of opinion versus fact...

There is truth to that only because of the horrendous division the Cowboys are in...but beyond the playoffs...not a chance...in my opinion.[/quote]

At least you qualified it with "in your opinion".

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not trying to suggest I've never been wrong. You on the other hand can't get past the difference between fact and opinion. So, by comparison, I'd rather be wrong than be semantically challenged.

smh. Not backtracking at all. As I said before if either Goff or Ramsey slides and/or the Cowboys are able to trade back and get more value out of their 4th overall pick, I could see them leaning that way. However, if the aforementioned are off the board and they get stuck, at that point I believe the BPA on their board would be Zeke. As for the #22, that just sounds exactly like something Jerry would do.

Again, zero chance of it, zero consequences for being wrong. Zero validity or weight to any claims.

Sydla

Reaction score
And now for my last argument on this topic: Don't listen to anything Jerry says and take it as the gospel. He contradicts himself constantly.

Except it wasn't just talk from Jerry. Their actions also indicated they don't believe in investing money in the TB position. They shied away from signing Murray above the $12MM in guaranteed money. They bowed out of the Miller race when it was known he would get more in guaranteed money than they wanted to spend. They even inquired about trading for Murray from the Eagles but when they realized that even in restructuring Murray it would be above what they wanted to pay, they ended that dream.

So it's not just what Jones says. It's what they've actually then done as well.

jday

Reaction score
Whereas rookies bust and never show that they can play in the league. But you'll try to ignore that. And Lamar Miller has steadily improved during his career, the furthest thing from a contract year guy. But nice try.

We watched the same guy walk away two years Angie and weren't willing to pay him less money with no draft pick needed. And the. #2 leading rusher was available this year. Strike two.

Talk about opinion! But yeah, you try to knock this line and two thousand yard running backs along the way. And make yourself look foolish in the process.

Nothing different than was said about Trent Richardson either.

Yeah, that "no other running backs of Zeke's quality" sure rings of opinion versus fact...

There is truth to that only because of the horrendous division the Cowboys are in...but beyond the playoffs...not a chance...in my opinion.

At least you qualified it with "in your opinion".[/quote]

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit, eh? Cool. But since you breezed past it in your rush to respond, everything I have asserted is simply my opinion...well, except for your misuse of the word "facts." The only fact that has occurred in the course of this conversation is that you don't know what a fact is.

jday

Reaction score
Except it wasn't just talk from Jerry. Their actions also indicated they don't believe in investing money in the TB position. They shied away from signing Murray above the $12MM in guaranteed money. They bowed out of the Miller race when it was known he would get more in guaranteed money than they wanted to spend. They even inquired about trading for Murray from the Eagles but when they realized that even in restructuring Murray it would be above what they wanted to pay, they ended that dream.

So it's not just what Jones says. It's what they've actually then done as well.

The thing is, you keep pointing to what has happened thus far as though two Thursday's from now is an exact replica of what has happened in the past. Neither in Free Agency nor in the draft have the Cowboys had an opportunity to snag a guy like Elliott. Again, I think they will certainly field offers to trade down, considering there's a good chance they can still get him provided they don't trade down past the Eagles or Giants, but ultimately I think he ranks high on the Cowboys board. Are they completely married to the guy as their targeted player? Not necessarily. I'm sure there will be discussions had in the war room for and against the acquisition, but I think Jerry will ultimately opt for the win now option, which no one in the room can ignore the potential of with a complete back such as Zeke combined with Romo, Dez and company. Just my two sense though...

Sydla

Reaction score
The thing is, you keep pointing to what has happened thus far as though two Thursday's from now is an exact replica of what has happened in the past. Neither in Free Agency nor in the draft have the Cowboys had an opportunity to snag a guy like Elliott. Again, I think they will certainly field offers to trade down, considering there's a good chance they can still get him provided they don't trade down past the Eagles or Giants, but ultimately I think he ranks high on the Cowboys board. Are they completely married to the guy as their targeted player? Not necessarily. I'm sure there will be discussions had in the war room for and against the acquisition, but I think Jerry will ultimately opt for the win now option, which no one in the room can ignore the potential of with a complete back such as Zeke combined with Romo, Dez and company. Just my two sense though...

Jerry won't likely have final say. If he did we'd have taken Manziel two years ago. I think in the end Stephen has final say as his father seems to defer to him more now.

I don't know what to tell you. If they take Elliott it is a clear deviation from a very clear policy they've publicly stated and then also carried out in building this roster.

Thomas82

Reaction score
I disagree with Emmitt. We need an every down RB to replace Demarco Murray and keep Romo upright.

We have already seen that RBBC does not work very well in the Cowboys offensive scheme and leaves Romo vulnerable to injury.

IMO only. That is all.

Cosign!!

jday

Reaction score
You should! Congratulations on getting the guy you wanted. Are they giving him #22?

He said he wants 21...and I would be fine being wrong there. But I also think it would have been presumptuous for him to ask for 22. If he gets offered 22 I'm pretty sure he would take it. Stay tuned.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
He said he wants 21...and I would be fine being wrong there. But I also think it would have been presumptuous for him to ask for 22. If he gets offered 22 I'm pretty sure he would take it. Stay tuned.

I wish they would let him wear No. 15. But that's probably for Dak Prescott when we draft him - hopefully not before our fourth-round compensatory pick. :)

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I wish they would let him wear No. 15. But that's probably for Dak Prescott when we draft him - hopefully not before our fourth-round compensatory pick. :)

I *think* I can resist throwing my remote at my TV if we at least wait till our 4th rounder to take him. We take him at #67 and I'll have to watch Game of Thrones on HBO go on Monday...