The climate with Jerry is too toxic for success

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Is "toxic" the right word though? My all accounts, Jerry's a decent guy who treats people with respect. His problems seem to be mismanagement of the team, not being toxic toward people. I could be wrong, of course, because I'm not there, but that was the impression I got.
That’s exactly what I’m referring to. The team. Cowboys Football. Why would we care about anything else .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
there's absolutely some validity to what you are saying but the fact is, it's been done before.

Jimmy proved it. IT just takes a guy who is more strong willed, more hard headed, more stubborn and insistent and focused than anyone we've had since Jimmy (Parcells included)

it literally takes someone like Jimmy who was willing to basically get in Jerry's face and tell him to shut the blank up when needed
I think Parcells to some extent was that guy but I also think at that point in his career, Bill P was tired and didn't want to fight. I think if we had Parcells from 20 years earlier for example (during his prime with the Giants) then he could have made it work here also.

So, the next question is--is that guy out there? Who is that guy who is not only a top coach, but also has the stones to tell Jerry to go pound sand and cut checks?

if that guy is out there, that guy can win here. For my money, the only guy that comes close is Urban Meyer.
I honestly don't see another option out there that gives us any real chance of being a contender in the near future.

You are correct, the chain of command here makes it more difficult to win than anywhere else in the league with the possible exception of Detroit or Washington.
I’ve seen no evidence in last couple decades Jerry is prepared to let go.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He made that comment about hiring a GM when Booger was under fire quite a ways back and that was before he got a taste of Paris and the farm might not look so inviting.

Some people seek that spotlight while others choose to avoid it. Hard to say about him. Booger got his taste for it when he watched Jimmy Johnson approach legend status after he had to fire the previous legend.

I do believe we are in for a much longer haul with Booger calling the shots. There's a reason he sought out Crazy Al as his mentor. When the rumor began to float that he was taking a step back and his son taking one forward, because he had his own radio bit that was required of the affiliate, he reacted with roaring back as up front, or more so, than he'd ever been before. There is no question about who runs the franchise and nothing happens without his approval.

He will not go quietly into that night and while he's about his family, to the detriment of the team and the fans, it's all about "this is mine and they work for me". He's a 77 year old guy that feels his relevance and self-importance is necessary for continued happiness. He's fooled himself into thinking people at laughing with him instead of at him.

Can you imagine the chuckles his fellow owners had when he called his own coaching out after that game? They all know they need to keep him as the chief Cowboys guy and they have little to be concerned about in the trophy case.
Preach it Coach.

And people wonder why I’m a hopeless fan.

Creeper

Reaction score
its not a toy, he is a business man and built the most expensive NFL team and one of the top franchises in the world....Jerry is a marketing man. he is a business man. given he is the president and GM, his business side will always take over his GM side. he undermines his coaches, by convoluting the lines of command in the coaching ranks and with the players....he intervenes with the coaches, muddying the waters, and he is great at selling "hope" to the fans.

Just for the record, I didn't mean to say the Cowboys are a toy. I was making an analogy. I could have said its like an expensive sports car that Jerry wants to drive himself rather than hire a chauffeur. The fact that Jerry is a businessman has nothing to do with making himself the GM. Almost all of the NFL owners are businessmen but only Jerry is the owner and GM. I think Jerry is actually a good owner. He is clearly willing to make an investment in his team but he is playing with house money. As long as the Cowboys remain popular in the country and draw top ratings on TV, his investments will pay off. If he keeps promising everything and delivering nothing, in time the Cowboys will lose their popularity and the investment will not be so lucrative for the Jones family.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Oh, of course Jerry is to blame for hiring and retaining him this long. No doubt about that.

I'm talking about the Diehardblues point of view that no coach can possibly win here because Jerry interferes day-to-day, prevents the coach from doing his job, etc.
I want to be proven wrong. But up to this point the evidence is overwhelming leaving me hopeless.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, do I wish the Jones boys would shut up like Kraft? Sure I do.

But I also say we don't know the extent to which Jerry holds people back. For one thing, more and more owners want to be involved. That doesn't mean they make calls, but they want to sit in on meetings, too. It's not just Jerry doing this anymore.

For another, with the explosion in assistant coaching salaries, it doesn't happen that often that coaches get to hire everyone they want. This isn't the 80s or 90s where the head coach was in charge of everything. That only happens in rare cases like a Belichick or Gruden who have skins on the wall.

Bottom line, I don't buy the thinking that poor Jason would be a great coach except for Jerry handcuffing him. Jerry isn't ideal, to be sure. But I also don't buy that he's to blame for bad coaching. At the very least, it's not Jerry's fault that the HC can't manage a clock, can't communicate with his special teams during a game, and can't make the right call on when to go for it on 4th down.

Maybe Jason isn't a good coach and it's just that simple.
He’s probably not a great coach but he’s been the best Puppet we’ve had. This is the best culture, most talent and fairly consistent winning atmosphere since the SB era.

But when you don’t control the coaching staff, personnel decisions and discipline along with the distractions and meddling from ownership it creates a toxic atmosphere that no one wants to be a part of.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry is a huge problem no doubt. But he has as a GM given Garrett some amazing talent to put on the field. It's Garrett's job to get the most out of this team and he hasn't. JJ has done his job as far as I'm concerned.
Then IMO you’re attitude is part of the problem giving Jerry a pass for his meddling and distractions .

No other HC in the league has to operate in this type of environment.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Then IMO you’re attitude is part of the problem giving Jerry a pass for his meddling and distractions .

LOL...……….no one is giving Jerry a pass. You have to be the most mentally challenged poster on here.

EVERYONE thinks Jerry sucks and everyone blasts him for hiring and not firing Garrett.

Yet you continue to argue with imaginary people saying imaginary things.

Garrett sucks...……….Just admit that your hero sucks and move on.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He’s probably not a great coach but he’s been the best Puppet we’ve had. This is the best culture, most talent and fairly consistent winning atmosphere since the SB era.

But when you don’t control the coaching staff, personnel decisions and discipline along with the distractions and meddling from ownership it creates a toxic atmosphere that no one wants to be a part of.
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

"He's probably not a great coach...……………..BUT"

That's where you stop. Anything else sounds desperate and pathetic.

CB61

Reaction score
Watching the firestorm with Jerry moment after moment day after day with him responding to questions and the continuing pressure punctuates where our core issue still resides.

The culture and climate is still too toxic for anyone to have success and or any control in Cowboys Football.

The conflict of interest with Jerry wearing both hats of owner and GM continues to be our greatest obstacle with him promoting his product on one hand and football decisions on the other. It’s a disaster.

It’s time for Garrett to walk after this season even if we were to win out which I wouldn’t bet the farm on. It’s likely to get worse. It’s just not a healthy climate in Frisco. I’d get the hell out of dodge ASAP. Good luck to the next puppet in this media circus climate with the biggest Bozo in the NFL.
Thank God someone else has said this I said it's a whole culture thing I've been saying that for the last 10 years you just extended that out quite a bit thank you

Asklesko

Reaction score
Jerry loves more than anything to be at the center of the maelstrom.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Watching the firestorm with Jerry moment after moment day after day with him responding to questions and the continuing pressure punctuates where our core issue still resides.

The culture and climate is still too toxic for anyone to have success and or any control in Cowboys Football.

The conflict of interest with Jerry wearing both hats of owner and GM continues to be our greatest obstacle with him promoting his product on one hand and football decisions on the other. It’s a disaster.

It’s time for Garrett to walk after this season even if we were to win out which I wouldn’t bet the farm on. It’s likely to get worse. It’s just not a healthy climate in Frisco. I’d get the hell out of dodge ASAP. Good luck to the next puppet in this media circus climate with the biggest Bozo in the NFL.
Are you suggesting climate change?

ondaedg

Reaction score

Let's be real for a moment - my attitude will have zero effect on Jerry's behavior. I can't stand him to be honest. But it's his team and he isn't going to change anytime in the near future. Jerry has been ridiculed in the press for years but he could care less.

As far as his job as GM goes, Garrett has enough talent to have been considered super bowl contenders at the start of the season. If you think it's Jerry's fault that Garrett doesn't have this team prepared and is outcoached on a weekly basis well then I have no idea how to address that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Let's be real for a moment - my attitude will have zero effect on Jerry's behavior. I can't stand him to be honest. But it's his team and he isn't going to change anytime in the near future. Jerry has been ridiculed in the press for years but he could care less.

As far as his job as GM goes, Garrett has enough talent to have been considered super bowl contenders at the start of the season. If you think it's Jerry's fault that Garrett doesn't have this team prepared and is outcoached on a weekly basis well then I have no idea how to address that.
This team has been over hyped by Jerry and anyone who has followed his rhetoric.

I’m not disputing Garretts flaws but the culture Jerry instills is toxic and not conducive for success along with the public criticism. No other team in the NFL has this type of dysfunction.