The coaches aren't to blame

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
The play calling is a direct result of bad QB play. With how bad Cassel played they were lucky to be in the game late. Actually not lucky, just good coaching.

As typical with Garrett, he doesn't understand moderation.

If he passes too much one game...he'll run the ball way too much the next game. And vice versa. And that's how Murray got 436 carries last season.

Yeah, your QB is no good, but you don't stand a chance if you NEVER threaten deep and always run on first down. But, if you tell Garrett that...you'll end up always throwing deep and always throwing on first down. It's ridiculous.

YR

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Bull****.Garrett lost us this game.We had momentum early and we could have scored a TD if we have gone for it,why are we playing so conservative when we lost 4 in a row? are we going to lose another game ? how is it different now?

There's a time to take chances in a close game, but when your team drives the ball down the field on first possession, down 3-0, scrapping for every yard, it can be a huge setback and demoralizing if you don't come away with points.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
The Cowboys lost this game for one reason and one reason only. Ineffective QB play. Not coaching, not lack of a RB, not defense and not special teams. Cassel just isn't getting it done and Weeden before him.

Ineffective qb play, ineffective plays for the qb to run designed by the coaches, coaches not being aggressive to go for the td instead of settling for fg's. Yup, all the qb's fault.

popp1234

Reaction score
The Cowboys lost this game for one reason and one reason only. Ineffective QB play. Not coaching, not lack of a RB, not defense and not special teams. Cassel just isn't getting it done and Weeden before him.

So, if you were a coach of a team and someone asked you who was ultimately responsible for your team's losses, what would you say?

dupree89

Reaction score
I dont really blame Garrett. We get about what I would expect from a young, barely average head coach. He isn't good enough to out-coach many of the nfl head coaches. You have to hope a guy like Garrett doesnt lose you games and that you have enough players to overcome middle of the pack coaching.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
After a five-game losing streak, the onus most definitely falls on the coaches. The last two coaches in Dallas to lose five straight were promptly fired.

The coaches either need to put their players in a better position to succeed or recognize the talent they have is insufficient.

Accountability starts at the top. And seen in a broader context, this season is consistent with previous ones during Garretts tenure, last year being the lone exception.

plymkr

Reaction score
Nope. I can appreciate the situation. When things are going the way they are you need to pull out all the stops.

I agree, you could argue our season was on the line. I'd rather go down swinging than do the walk of shame. 3 runs with running formations is unacceptable. No play action, no roll outs, no slants. run, run, run, FG.

That's coaching and that's a loss, and if I'm reading the schedule right that is the 5th loss in a row.

Wayne02

Reaction score
The play calling is a joke. How is it that every team we face, they're able to get their play makers open with pick plays and we're not, nor do we know how to defend them? That's a coaching issue.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
I agree, you could argue our season was on the line. I'd rather go down swinging than do the walk of shame. 3 runs with running formations is unacceptable. No play action, no roll outs, no slants. run, run, run, FG.

That's coaching and that's a loss, and if I'm reading the schedule right that is the 5th loss in a row.

And Cassel was our second best RB. Give him plays with the option to run himself if need be.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Im optimistic every week and even on Sunday when we are going into a game. I cant remember ONE time in the past 40 years where I wasnt optimistic and confident we would win any game we played. Every season I think a Super Bowl win is a real possibility. In spite of my optimistic fandom, I cant for the life of me understand how the Red Kool Aid drunks are so hell bent on exonerating him for EVERYTHING and consider him blameless in every aspect related to the team and wins and losses.

Its amazing really. It truly is. Its like they're under some spell.

If Red were, I mean would have been coaching any one of the other 31 teams in the league he would have been collecting his unemployment checks for several years now.

The Dark Bishop

Reaction score
Eh, there's plenty of blame to extend some to the coaches to. Can't play scared and expect to win.

Awesome reply. There is plenty of blame to throw around but coaches need to take their medicine too. It is one thing to be wrong on one QB. While we were limited in choices at the time, there was also the past 2 drafts and you have to wonder if the trade of a future draft pick was the right choice.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
As typical with Garrett, he doesn't understand moderation.

If he passes too much one game...he'll run the ball way too much the next game. And vice versa. And that's how Murray got 436 carries last season.

Yeah, your QB is no good, but you don't stand a chance if you NEVER threaten deep and always run on first down. But, if you tell Garrett that...you'll end up always throwing deep and always throwing on first down. It's ridiculous.

YR

He did threaten deep. Maybe you missed that. Good coaching gave us a chance in this game. Bad QB'ing lost it.

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
I want my backup QB to be an All Pro, but playing for a minimum salary. Then I want him throwing deep, until he throws 3 INTs and then I want the team running the ball. Unless they lose, then I want them throwing deep. I also want to play all 16 games at home.

Seriously, this was ugly but any team in the NFL will be average or worse with their backup in the game. At least in this game Dez was on the field, the OL was playing fairly well and DMC was gaining yards. You can at least see the light at the end of the tunnel. We were playing for the wildcard the minute Romo went down, this game is just a continuation of that.

We gained a total of 220 yards, our starting RB averaged 3.2 yrds/carry, and our QB averaged 3.9 yards per pass. I'm not sure what light you're seeing.

popp1234

Reaction score
I dont really blame Garrett. We get about what I would expect from a young, barely average head coach. He isn't good enough to out-coach many of the nfl head coaches. You have to hope a guy like Garrett doesnt lose you games and that you have enough players to overcome middle of the pack coaching.

Haha..sounds like you are blaming Garrett.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
The powers that be certainly deserve their share of the blame. If we were 3-2 during this stretch, there would be praise heaped upon coaches and executives, and justifiably so.

2-3, I'd be dancing in the street.

A five-game losing streak represents organizational incompetence. Dave Campo never lost five games in a row.