The coaches aren't to blame

Discussion in 'Overtime Zone' started by Rockport, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

59,042 Messages
    60,525 Likes Received
    You are really stretching it if you think for a second that Garrett was not complicit in who the backup QBs have been. He loved Brad Johnson, he wanted Cassel when he was in Miami.

Amy50632 and links18 like this.
  2. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

10,798 Messages
    7,978 Likes Received
    My $0.02 is here on CZ JG is given all the credit when personnel decisions work out and when things don't work out personnel wise JG has nothing to with it --- it's all the front-office...

3. Rockport

Rockport AmberBeer Zone Supporter

15,409 Messages
    13,136 Likes Received
    Then why weren't you whining last year?

4. PAINFROMUKRAINE

PAINFROMUKRAINE Well-Known Member

349 Messages
    315 Likes Received
    I am not stretching it. I just want to start thinking like JG supporters think. I think JG is Princeton Smart and Football Stupid. I just want to push all the blame on the players and Jerry. The Coaching and the Scheme are never Accountable for any loses/issues. If JG's name was Wade, he would have been run out of town 3 years ago. Being a "Trainee" while making millions of dollars buys you time, respect, and No Accountability.

Amy50632 and khiladi like this.
  5. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

25,185 Messages
    17,215 Likes Received
    Because Romo wasn't injured and Jerry said before the season that Romo would be given more power and that power was revoked from Jason in regards to play-calling and he would have his red-headed genius walking around the defense .

Pretty much any success this team has had was when Garrett was removed from the equation.

Now with Romo gone, it's apparent the guy hasn't brought anything...

bkeavs and Amy50632 like this.
  6. CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninHouston CowboysFaninDC

10,259 Messages
    4,221 Likes Received
    in a 10-9 game...when your offense is struggling...you play conservative...you don't want to turn the ball over, on such a day....

7. Rockport

15,409 Messages
    13,136 Likes Received
    So Garrett had nothing to do with last year?

8. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

25,185 Messages
    17,215 Likes Received
    To quote Jerry, prior to the beginning of last season:

dreghorn2 and Amy50632 like this.
  9. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Regular Joe....

50,092 Messages
    17,725 Likes Received
    Let me start off by saying that I like your post. I don't agree with it, in so far as, you can't win with that style of play any longer but I do appreciate the thought you put into your post. The problem with this post is that I don't think you can make this case with the injury situation being what it is. Garrett and this coaching staff are very limited in what they can actually do IMO. It's easy to forget that Cassel has really only been in this offense for less then 6 weeks. I'm willing to bet that there is a lot of the playbook that we can't run. I'm not saying that there are not some things this staff couldn't be doing better. Up till yesterday, our special teams were horrific. I do think that Garrett needs to take a few more chances (when the opportunity favors it) in order to try and get TDs as opposed to FGs. I do not, nor have I really ever, been a big fan of Linehan. I understand that Picks are now an accepted method of cheating in the NFL but even so, we play them horribly. We should really be able to play them a little better then we do.

All of these things and probably a few more, are faults of our Coaching Staff IMO. However, I think they have been saddled with a seriously bad situation and the product we are seeing out on the field is not, IMO, all on them. They are doing the best they can with what they have but the problem is that their best, even though I know that they have a seriously crappy hand, is just not good enough. At the end of the day, you have to find a way to win some games until Tony gets back. They aren't getting it done to this point and that's a problem.

plymkr likes this.
  10. Rockport

15,409 Messages
    13,136 Likes Received
    ?

11. plymkr

plymkr Well-Known Member

2,737 Messages
    3,472 Likes Received
    Thanks, that was probably the most respectful, thought provoking disagreement of as post I have ever received. I actually appreciate your respect and response. That's cool reading a disagreement post without any name calling.

12. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Regular Joe....

50,092 Messages
    17,725 Likes Received
    It's NP. I am actually better now. Yesterday, I would not have been able to post anything close to this. I was too busy being pissed off at all things alive. LOL........

13. Romo_To_Dez

Romo_To_Dez Well-Known Member

10,280 Messages
    8,034 Likes Received
    Sometimes in a football game risky and gutsy plays need to be called for a chance to win. A coaching staff can't always play it too safe to the point that they can't get any TD's. Not a lot of games are going to be won in the NFL if the Offense can't score TD's, unless the team gets lucky enough to have the defense score a TD.

Amy50632 likes this.
  14. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

30,047 Messages
    78,816 Likes Received
    And he won a lot of games !!

Trouty, chris1995 and Amy50632 like this.
  15. CliffClaven19

CliffClaven19 New Member

10 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I think QB play is the issue. How is it Cassel can't throw to a receiver down field? Do we really believe they are covered every pass play or is it he just doesn't know the offense well enough? If we know Cassel n Weeden are going to loose the game why not try Moore, all he could do is get game experience and possible win, right? If he sucks it up then no need to keep him on the PS. You can send one of the other two losers down there.

16. Idgit

Idgit Riding the Red Rocket Staff Member

57,090 Messages
    57,310 Likes Received
    This thread is getting longer, not necessarily better.

There is plenty to be critical about re: the staff and the organization the last several years under Garrett. From my observation, no matter what's criticized, if it stops short of blaming the play calling or calling for a regime change completely, it just gets ignored and the people attempt to paint these posters as hopeless homers. i know I'ver personally criticized heavily everything from the defensive coaching staff mistakes to personnel shortcomings to the scheme to the game day play calling, and I'm still constantly having to dispute the impression that I won't be critical of Garrett. Mostly because I try to make a distinction between a play that doesn't work and a bad play call. Which seems crazy to me, because those two things are pretty obviously not at all the same things.

Regardless, this team has gotten better and deeper under Garrett and the organization has returned to being a lot more stable and just generally top-notch in a way it hasn't been since before the Parcels years. For such a tough job in such a tough market with such a challenging owner, he's done a great job. And people who are blaming the coaching staff right now for most of what's going on on game days just aren't looking at the problem deeply or carefully enough.

Rockport likes this.
  17. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

76,733 Messages
    45,269 Likes Received
    Not running for any kind of office are you? Talk like that won't win you any friends.

Idgit likes this.
  18. Idgit

Idgit Riding the Red Rocket Staff Member

57,090 Messages
    57,310 Likes Received
    I've got my friends. And then I've got my CZ friends. I mean, detractors. Secretly, we both know they love me, though.

It's not my fault if they're a bunch of bandwagon-hopping reactionaries. But they wear hats with stars on them, so they're like my little misguided brethren, flocking from one criticism to the next until Romo comes back and we start winning consistently. With Weeden gone, it's Garrett's turn this week. Next week? Jerry. Then maybe we'll get to Matt Cassel, but only if there's time.

19. Rockport

15,409 Messages
    13,136 Likes Received
    People either forgot or didn't watch the game. Especially that last series when we had a minute left and only needed a field goal to win. Everyone has been saying Garrett was playing not to lose. Well on that series that obviously wasn't the case and Cassel looked his worst. I just wish people would understand the game more before coming here and making themselves look stupid.

Idgit likes this.
  20. CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninHouston CowboysFaninDC

10,259 Messages
    4,221 Likes Received
    well, think about it. up that point. the defense played a very good game. they had only given up 230 yards of offense. it was going to be a close game. given the offense had struggled, you take the points. that would give us the lead. so you get the lead and TRUST that your defense will hold them again. that's putting it on the line, but putting it on defense.

Amy50632 likes this.