The concern with Quinn

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Interior pressure would still be poor.
There’s resources invested there. Need time for Hill and Gallimore to develop. We don’t know how they’ll be next year. Can’t fix everything in one offseason. Space eating DT is far more important to me right now than Interior Pass rush. There’s only 1 Aaron Donald in the world.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
There’s resources invested there. Need time for Hill and Gallimore to develop. We don’t know how they’ll be next year. Can’t fix everything in one offseason. Space eating DT is far more important to me right now than Interior Pass rush. There’s only 1 Aaron Donald in the world.
I edited my original post since I missed the fact you had Tomlinson in your hypothetical scenario. I'm a pretty big fan of his as a NT that can also affect the passer.

HungryLion

Reaction score
It’s a fair concern to have about Quinn.

I don’t think it means it won’t work.

it’s just a difference of philosophy. Keep things a bit more simple, let the players, play with instinct and speed. Play smart, fundamentally sound football.

They are going to need to improve the talent for it to work.

I think even with a more complex scheme. They would still need to improve talent to make it work.

We have the Jones boys though. So they’ll acquire the talent. No problem.

plymkr

Reaction score
I’m sure all that was covered during the sleepover at Jerry’s.
C'mon man, now thanks to you I got an image in my head of Quinn and Jerry having a pillow fight on the bed while McCarthy plays on myspace.com.

Thanks, I'll be calling my therapist in the morning

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Isn’t Quinn from the kiffin marinelli tree?
such a disappointing hire

dwmyers

Reaction score
My two cents. I live in the Atlanta area and almost no one who watched him would hire him as a DC.
That said, he replaced Mike Nolan before and probably understands how to fix a Mike Nolan defense.
His peak Falcons defense was 2018, when his pet draftees Deion Jones (MLB) and Keanu Neal (the Cam Chancellor replacement) netted 250+ tackles.
Next year, he loses both to injury and his defense is awful. To defend himself against Arthur Blank, he fires the DC and becomes his own DC (and HC) a decision no fan in ATL agreed with.
2019 the defense is a massive bust till Raheem Morris is brought in to be DC and fixes the issues. DQ was accused of overcomplicating the scheme to the point players could not understand it.
Raheem simplified and suddenly the team played better. That bought DQ a year Falcons fans thought he did not deserve.
2020 he was awful and was fired.

PLUSSES: Well spoken. You will love him in interviews. His ability to speak extemporaneously probably got him this hire.
THINGS HE COULD NOT FIX: But for one year, he never had the DEs he should have. Tom DImitroff could not draft DEs.
MINUSES: He seems to need that stud strong safety or his defenses fall apart. Keanu Neal was the guy in ATL.
Don't let him take on too much responsibility. That causes a regression in his performance.

Cumart21

Reaction score
All we can do is give the guy a chance and hope he's good. What's more important is that they get some physical, talented players on the defense.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Came across this take from the media.

-

Do Cowboys have personnel to run Quinn's defense?

Ted Nguyen, NFL film analyst: The Cowboys defenders reportedly complained that Nolan's defense was too complicated, but it feels like the pendulum swung too far in the other direction with the Quinn hire. He runs the old Seattle Cover-3 scheme. Simple, but you have to have blue chip players at every level to make it work. Quinn hasn't coordinated a good defense since the Legion of Boom.

Yah... have these same concerns. It’s like there are only two options on D with our personnel:

1. Confusion, chaos, players not knowing their assignments, and poor execution of the scheme

Or

2. Simple, predictable, vanilla, “bend but don’t break”, style of D that simply doesn’t make game-changing plays

At this point, Quinn is inheriting a defensive roster in transition on top of it already being talent poor and coming off an awful year. Even if we add some quality players through the draft and FA— it will take time to gel and develop.

Just don’t see a quick fix at this point.

J-man

Reaction score
I'm not sold on the hire, his team seem to quit on him this year. That concerns me. It maybe different as the DC vs HC but I just don;'t know if he'll be respected very well, at least until he proves himself.
I also disagree with the thought that he needs to be the guy hand selecting his players in this draft. I don't think he, like most coaches, can judge talent that way. Let him give a list of traits his needs at various positions and let the scouts and Will McClay do their jobs.
I don't think they can get all they need from this draft even if they made all defensive picks. I really think JJ will have to make some moves to get a couple of above average defenders in FA this season, if they can find the $ to do so.

Qcard

Reaction score

-

Ted Nguyen, NFL film analyst: The Cowboys defenders reportedly complained that Nolan's defense was too complicated, but it feels like the pendulum swung too far in the other direction with the Quinn hire. He runs the old Seattle Cover-3 scheme. Simple, but you have to have blue chip players at every level to make it work. Quinn hasn't coordinated a good defense since the Legion of Boom.

Come and deposit your likes!

JBS

Reaction score

-

What can Quinn do w a blue chip player at every position? Thats the real question