The concern with Quinn

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Well McClay should be familiar with the traits and system needs since he's been doing it for Maranelli for some time now. I just hope DC dosent spend a birthday with a prospect and come back to say how mature the prospect is then quit on him before the prospects first training camp.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have no issue with Quinn, he has the skins on the wall with 2 SB appearances in Seattle including a win. His time in Alt as HC was not great but he did get his team to the Super Bowl, I don't recall too many other coaches who were able to get the falcons to the show.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Came across this take from the media.

-

Do Cowboys have personnel to run Quinn's defense?

Ted Nguyen, NFL film analyst: The Cowboys defenders reportedly complained that Nolan's defense was too complicated, but it feels like the pendulum swung too far in the other direction with the Quinn hire. He runs the old Seattle Cover-3 scheme. Simple, but you have to have blue chip players at every level to make it work. Quinn hasn't coordinated a good defense since the Legion of Boom.

Quinn hasn't coordinated any defense since the legion of boom, so a little misleading...

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Quinn better be making the first 4 picks in this year's draft.

Let him pick his guys and one splash free agency signing.

Please don't do that. His defensive drafts in Atlanta were terrible. While those surely weren't all his input, I'd be surprised if he didn't have huge sway.

Sydla

Reaction score

-

Ted Nguyen, NFL film analyst: The Cowboys defenders reportedly complained that Nolan's defense was too complicated, but it feels like the pendulum swung too far in the other direction with the Quinn hire. He runs the old Seattle Cover-3 scheme. Simple, but you have to have blue chip players at every level to make it work. Quinn hasn't coordinated a good defense since the Legion of Boom.

Wonderful.

Jerry recognized his name and heard Legion of Boom and had to have him. Why would we think Jerry would get it right this time? Since Jimmy, it's literally been a wasteland of head and assistant coaches hired by Jerry. People have mistakenly blamed the last 20+ years on personnel issues with Jerry but frankly, it's not been the player personnel side that has hurt this team............ it's been the fact that Jerry the GM is a TERRIBLE judge of coaches. It's almost mind numbing how bad at this he is.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Every defense is going to need impact players to perform well--no scheme is going to cover for a bunch of jags.

However, it think it's a little much to say you need one at every position.

In Quinn's scheme I'm worried about the Interior DL (1T & 3T) the most. We also need a good FS. I like Wilson at SS, but Woods is not it at FS.

He's going to play a lot of zone, so CBs that can exel there are a need as well.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Every defense is going to need impact players to perform well--no scheme is going to cover for a bunch of jags.

However, it think it's a little much to say you need one at every position.

In Quinn's scheme I'm worried about the Interior DL (1T & 3T) the most. We also need a good FS. I like Wilson at SS, but Woods is not it at FS.

He's going to play a lot of zone, so CBs that can exel there are a need as well.

I'm concerned with the DT no matter what scheme we run. Had Dallas hired someone else I would still say they need IDL help and FS help. The hiring of Quinn does not change that a bit

jblaze2004

Reaction score
I will say. I am not warm and fuzzy about this hire. Almost seem like Mike Nolan Part2.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Wonderful.

Jerry recognized his name and heard Legion of Boom and had to have him. Why would we think Jerry would get it right this time? Since Jimmy, it's literally been a wasteland of head and assistant coaches hired by Jerry. People have mistakenly blamed the last 20+ years on personnel issues with Jerry but frankly, it's not been the player personnel side that has hurt this team............ it's been the fact that Jerry the GM is a TERRIBLE judge of coaches. It's almost mind numbing how bad at this he is.

And he's made some of those choices that you say "okay, I'm good with that coach", like Chan Gailey, then for really no good reason he fired Gailey, who had made the playoffs both years he was the coach. Gailey was 10-6 and 8-8, but fired anyway. Garrett goes 8-8 three years running and was kept for several more years.

Just more evidence that Jerry hasn't a clue as to how to run an NFL franchise, as far as winning goes, though he thinks he has...

dwmyers

Reaction score
Please don't do that. His defensive drafts in Atlanta were terrible. While those surely weren't all his input, I'd be surprised if he didn't have huge sway.
DQ was not the draft guru in Atlanta. GM Thomas Dimitroff was. But he could never draft a successful DE. Vic Beasley was the best he could do.

quickccc

Reaction score
Yah... have these same concerns. It’s like there are only two options on D with our personnel:

1. Confusion, chaos, players not knowing their assignments, and poor execution of the scheme

Or

2. Simple, predictable, vanilla, “bend but don’t break”, style of D that simply doesn’t make game-changing plays

At this point, Quinn is inheriting a defensive roster in transition on top of it already being talent poor and coming off an awful year. Even if we add some quality players through the draft and FA— it will take time to gel and develop.

Just don’t see a quick fix at this point.

I think you're exacerbating your statement here, ..that same bend but don't break scheme has proven to show up big plays and turnovers in Tampa Bay, Chicago and Seattle.
Those teams in a simple vanilla defense had big playmakers that we have been struggling to get for ages.

I would prefer a DC and defense to have a middle ground between complex vs simple.
But choosing between A and B .. For my liking and from what ive seen what complex does to a defense.

- i'd take simple route to have players understand what they are supposed to do ...where they are supposed to be..thus they can play faster -without hesitation and confusion.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

-

Yup they had all pro players all over that defense. soon as all those guys left that defense sucked

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's difficult to say what might come of Quinn's hiring in the long haul but I can vouch for the fact that he'll get the players on his side in a hurry. That's been his strength, wherever and everywhere he has gone. I feel quite confident that his initial results will be satisfactory for that precise reason. What he does a few years down the road will be the thing that should prove even more interesting. Here's hoping Quinn's ability to adjust to his players and their individual talents will have a lasting and very positive effect. You can believe it's a virtual lock that he'll win them over quickly, though. :)

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
- My concern with Quinn is how he presents his defense to opponents on an every week basis.

- I want to see what his position coaches end up being as that's gonna play a big part in defensive effort
have to have quality asst. coaches Already nervous to hear Joe Whitt Jr. who Quinn had in ATL may be a part of his crew.
(and ATL pass defense was hideous)

- And what is his philosophy when it comes to size in the interior and run gap responsibility ?
- How is Quinn as a in-game adjuster ? can he make half-time adjustments ?
- Can he inspire, rally and motivate his players ? will his players compete and play hard for him down to the wire ?
His asst. apparently were not able to do that in ATL

He'll be closer and more direct to his defensive players vs what he was able to do as a HC.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Quinn better be making the first 4 picks in this year's draft.

Let him pick his guys and one splash free agency signing.

Better pick all defense the entire draft!!!

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
If Quinn can emphasize turnovers that’s good for me. If we can be a middle of the road type defense but be top 10 in turnovers this can be a 10+ win team. It’s about giving our offense extra possessions a game. That would be huge.

I think we have the pass rush to run the cover 3. We also got a guy in Diggs that’s a ballhawk. I like Wilson at one safety.

we need to really piece together the rest of the defense. Especially in the middle.

Verdict

Reaction score
He was a top CB in 2019. He was just injured this year. Could come in cheap and help younger guys with the new system.
Why do some of you think a player can come in and teach a system? Shouldn’t the coach be able to teach it? If they can’t teach it, why have said coach? If a player can’t learn a system why have said player on your team?