The concern with Quinn

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Not true. He was HC and DC in 2019 and awful at it. Raheem Morris saved his bacon, DCwise, middle of the season.
This. There is some weird notion that he was practically sitting in the owners suite and his only job was clock management and challenges.

It was his defense that was bad for 4 years in Atl. He didn’t call plus the whole time but he did part of the time. He needs all pros to make his defense work and we have one which is about 4 or 5 shy of what he had in Seattle

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Having a Blue chip player at every level is the foundation of any great defense. Even good coaches won't succeed without talent.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
GM was Thomas Dimitroff. They were worried Dallas would draft him and so traded above Dallas to get him.

Takk is a story in itself. The talent is there, but his best pass rush move, because of a lack of technique, leads him to injure himself. ex DTs for Atlanta would remark on that.
Takk was on his way to a repeat of Chaz Green vs Steele this year before he got injured. He tore Steele apart

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I disagree with the premise and I am fine with the hire. There is almost no scenario in which this defense can possible get to top 10-15 next season. The players aren't special enough to perfectly execute a simple scheme like Quinn's, but they aren't smart enough to handle a complex defense like Nolan's. The only asset they DO have is athleticism - this is a pretty athletic defense. So better to keep it simple and allow them to know their job and execute, even if that means vanilla and sometimes you'll give up points - at least you won't bleed on mistakes.

Draft and acquire well for the next two seasons and maybe we can have a good defense - but next year we just need to stop the bleeding. It's still an offensive minded team.

ESisback

Reaction score
Came across this take from the media.

-

Do Cowboys have personnel to run Quinn's defense?

Ted Nguyen, NFL film analyst: The Cowboys defenders reportedly complained that Nolan's defense was too complicated, but it feels like the pendulum swung too far in the other direction with the Quinn hire. He runs the old Seattle Cover-3 scheme. Simple, but you have to have blue chip players at every level to make it work. Quinn hasn't coordinated a good defense since the Legion of Boom.
Some say yes, some no. Dramatizing the division garners click$. THAT’S the bottom line!

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
I disagree with the premise and I am fine with the hire. There is almost no scenario in which this defense can possible get to top 10-15 next season. The players aren't special enough to perfectly execute a simple scheme like Quinn's, but they aren't smart enough to handle a complex defense like Nolan's. The only asset they DO have is athleticism - this is a pretty athletic defense. So better to keep it simple and allow them to know their job and execute, even if that means vanilla and sometimes you'll give up points - at least you won't bleed on mistakes.

Draft and acquire well for the next two seasons and maybe we can have a good defense - but next year we just need to stop the bleeding. It's still an offensive minded team.
What concerns me is when you have an offensive team you want to maximize number of possessions.

Either by creating negative plays or forcing turnovers on defense. This defense is going to make for a lot of long methodical drives by the other team and hoping you hold inside the 20 which this team hasn’t been great at. We’ve seen this story before. Nolan’s theory of attacking and being multiple was a great complement to the offense but he couldn’t teach run defense which bled the clock and gashed big holes.

I would have preferred to just find a better teacher for Nolan’s scheme.

ESisback

Reaction score

I agree. A healthy OL, Dak and Jarwin back, and the offense is more potent. Have a good offeseason acquiring defensive talent, and we COULD go from 31 to somewhere between say, 27 and 17. Combine that with the “more potent” offensive, and IMHO, we win 3-5 more games in 2021. Honestly, I don’t think that’s COMPLETE fantasy.

Majic

Reaction score
What concerns me is when you have an offensive team you want to maximize number of possessions.

Either by creating negative plays or forcing turnovers on defense. This defense is going to make for a lot of long methodical drives by the other team and hoping you hold inside the 20 which this team hasn’t been great at. We’ve seen this story before. Nolan’s theory of attacking and being multiple was a great complement to the offense but he couldn’t teach run defense which bled the clock and gashed big holes.

And what worries me is that you will now see significant investment in Quinn's Scheme when we should be investing in the best players available who can play either the 4-3 or 3-4. Else what have we learnt?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score

I don't agree with you, but respect that it's a well thought out opinion and that I may be wrong. Just a different POV.

I feel like a lot of our last few weeks, turnovers were luck driven rather than scheme driven. I don't give a ton of credit to scheme for fumbles or tipped passes. The running defense is player driven more than scheme driven. WE couldn't stop the run well last year or the year before, either. It's a long term problem that can only be solved with acquisition. What KILLED the team (other than the run defense) was broken coverages and poor keys. Maybe it would be better if we found a better teacher, but it's not a risk I'd be willing to take a second year in a row. Simple gap schemes and keys are critical for this secondary and LB core to play as fast as possible. I do not want them thinking - I just don't think they have the football savvy for that.

I agree with you on the methodical drives piece - that will absolutely be a problem next year. But I don't see anything from this team that leads me to believe it would be better with a multiple front.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I agree. A healthy OL, Dak and Jarwin back, and the offense is more potent. Have a good offeseason acquiring defensive talent, and we COULD go from 31 to somewhere between say, 27 and 17. Combine that with the “more potent” offensive, and IMHO, we win 3-5 more games in 2021. Honestly, I don’t think that’s COMPLETE fantasy.
The rest of the NFCE's strength is in defense. The Cowboy's strength is in offense.

If the cowboys can improve just a bit with a healthy offense, we can pick up 2-3 games in the east alone. That leaves a need to get 2-3 games outside the division, which is doable with some health and at least moderate defensive improvement.

IF the talent falls our way in free agency and the draft, maybe it could be better, but can't count on it.

kumizi

Reaction score
Quinn better be making the first 4 picks in this year's draft.

Let him pick his guys and one splash free agency signing.
I dont get this mindset. Same thing when apparently MM signed two defensive tackles and Ha Ha last offseason. Let the guys paid to evaluate talent make the picks.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It wasn't just the Legion of Boom, they built a great front 7 and the LoB topped it off.

That was my concern with any hire. Can't say it's a coaching problem until they solve the talent problem.

Mannix

Reaction score
-----We also have a poop chip defender in Jaylon Smith

Family site mister!