The Cost of Meaningless Close Wins

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry admin..I can't edit my post. It just infuriates me when someone talks about throwing games. I'd remove the f if I could. :oops:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sometimes when you win, you really lose and sometimes when you lose, you really win.
Long term vision
Most of the time when you lose you lose.

Because draft picks mean super bowls...I suppose? Gee we've done SO WELL in that regard. Good call. :confused:

foofighters

Reaction score
The Cowboys should have lost their games against Atlanta (week 2), the Giants (week 5), and the Vikings (week 11). The Cowboys could of had the 3rd overall pick. They could have received the same haul the Dolphins did for the 3rd pick. In this scenario Surtain or Horn would likely be available at 12. Plus they would have 2 extra 1st round picks + an extra 3rd round pick in the future. They could have also selected a QB at 3 and trade Dak. A ridiculous botched onside kick + signing Andy Dalton cost this franchise for years to come.
What happens when you draft a great player and place him into a crappy system that's not changing anytime soon?

Verdict

Reaction score
That's why you start benching guys and giving players who aren't good opportunities.

Maybe get a little more aggressive with some of your defensive schemes and see if you give up a extra big play or 2.
There was no excuse not to play Anae and Robinson to see what they had in those players. We could have also given our 3rd string RB to see how he stacked up against NFL competition.

Verdict

Reaction score
The Cowboys should have lost their games against Atlanta (week 2), the Giants (week 5), and the Vikings (week 11). The Cowboys could of had the 3rd overall pick. They could have received the same haul the Dolphins did for the 3rd pick. In this scenario Surtain or Horn would likely be available at 12. Plus they would have 2 extra 1st round picks + an extra 3rd round pick in the future. They could have also selected a QB at 3 and trade Dak. A ridiculous botched onside kick + signing Andy Dalton cost this franchise for years to come.

Some here will pretend that the “momentum” from winning a couple of games last year will help us win more games this year than we would have if we had the extra first round picks and additional options on draft day. Those people are wrong. Lol.

fivetwos

Reaction score
No. Straight up random. Or like the way the NBA did it before the changes. I'd rather just do it random. Then work backwards for the playoff teams. But they'll never do that.
I dont think they need to mess with the rules because it isn't a league problem.

Only one team remotely attempted it and it blew up in their faces.

You're probably just sick of hearing the topic around here lol. That's what the age of fantasy has produced.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You can not tell players to lose. You can cut underperforming players and vets who's contracts are ending and can save you a little cap. Should have cut crawford and lee. Should have traded smith, maybe gallup if he isn't being resigned.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
It's going all out to win with 3rd stringers and practice squad players.

tenor.gif

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
You should never sign a good veteran backup quarterback unless you are ready for a Super Bowl run.

And how do you know if you're ready for a SB run? Did the Giants in 2011 think so? Couldn't even win the division, but won the SB.

The Cowboys signed Dalton before the season started, pretty sure Dallas thought they at least had a chance to win it all. Even if it was a 5% chance,

You're using classic 20-20 hindsight...

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some here will pretend that the “momentum” from winning a couple of games last year will help us win more games this year than we would have if we had the extra first round picks and additional options on draft day. Those people are wrong. Lol.
Some people think draft picks mean a super bowl. They are OBVIOUSLY wrong.

We've had pretty decent positioning in drafts....for 25 YEARS. Where has it gotten us? Don't worry...I'll wait.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can not tell players to lose. You can cut underperforming players and vets who's contracts are ending and can save you a little cap. Should have cut crawford and lee. Should have traded smith, maybe gallup if he isn't being resigned.

Yes...there are MANY ways to build resources beside LOSING on purpose. You showed ways to free up resources for future consideration.

People have spent YEARS here beeching and moaning how inherently dysfunctional this team is....and think adding intentional losing should somehow help?

The very people that want a higher draft pick complain about our high draft picks....easy example is Zeke.

It is truly insane.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good thing the Patriots tanked for Brady many years ago. That high draft pick really made there team.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
You are 100% correct. We had NO chance of making any noise making the playoffs because our division is terrible.

These fans that want to go 6-10 instead of 3-13 are a problem.

These are probably the same fans that love Romo for going 8-8 every year and keeping us drafting somewhere in the 20s when a couple of years drafting in the 10s might've gotten their hero a ring or at least some real playoff runs.