The Cost of Meaningless Close Wins

Flamma

Reaction score
Lottery, like the NBA?

No. Straight up random. Or like the way the NBA did it before the changes. I'd rather just do it random. Then work backwards for the playoff teams. But they'll never do that.

Thrill99

Reaction score
so they should have known the should have lost in week 3 or. 4 or 5.
:facepalm:

Why be a fan of all you want to do is lose at that point. Give us a freaking break.
I never said that. And I don't expect players to tank. The ultimate goal is winning the Super Bowl. At some point the decision makers should have known that wasn't an option any longer. As others have said, that is when you put the other players in and evaluate.
Really, it is more about what I want as a fan, and as someone looking at the big picture - winning a Super Bowl. I know when they don't have a chance in a certain year. That is why I have no problem with them losing to get a high draft pick, especially with the success we have had with Will McClay running the draft process. It's more about me and what I want. Does that make sense?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
No. Straight up random. Or like the way the NBA did it before the changes. I'd rather just do it random. Then work backwards for the playoff teams. But they'll never do that.
Interesting.
I get it, but you're right.
Never happen.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
We say this every year. But you can also say this with any record. For example, we're likely to have a chance at a blue chip player at 10. If we were picking 12-13, we probably wouldn't have that chance. But now at 10, we're saying we could've had a better chance at someone like Pitts or Sewell if we were picking 7-8. And if we were picking then, we'd say we would've had a chance at Trevor Lawrence if we were picking 1st.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
The Cowboys should have lost their games against Atlanta (week 2), the Giants (week 5), and the Vikings (week 11). The Cowboys could of had the 3rd overall pick. They could have received the same haul the Dolphins did for the 3rd pick. In this scenario Surtain or Horn would likely be available at 12. Plus they would have 2 extra 1st round picks + an extra 3rd round pick in the future. They could have also selected a QB at 3 and trade Dak. A ridiculous botched onside kick + signing Andy Dalton cost this franchise for years to come.

How were the Giants and Falcons games meaningless? At the time it was early in the season and still had healthy pieces to potentially put it together. You usually don't mail those games in early in the season. If the Cowboys were far out of the division race at some point I can understand your logic. You can criticize a lot of things over the years, but wouldn't question the effort to win those 2 games.

lk8701

Reaction score
You should never sign a good veteran backup quarterback unless you are ready for a Super Bowl run.

This is the main point of thread. If you're not a real contender and your QB goes down... tank!

lk8701

Reaction score
so they should have known the should have lost in week 3 or. 4 or 5.
:facepalm:

Why be a fan of all you want to do is lose at that point. Give us a freaking break.

I shouldn't have mentioned week 2. I wanted to tank right after Dak got injured. That was the time to do it.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
Team still losing? Worst D in history? People talk about building a championship team through the draft. But somehow find draft position unimportant. The funny thing is those same people are probably willing to trade up while burning multiple picks in the process. Team just stays stuck in neutral and can't put a finger on the problem.

It's not about the 2020 season, it's a systematic issue. People think this is about going out and purposely whiffing on tackles etc. LOL But really it's about getting the younger guys involved. Guys who will likely have a larger role the following season. Yet it's this same stupidazz argument every year. If you're out of the playoffs.. the team needs to be doing everything they can to get back there. That is the business they're in. Race for the trophy is a year round endeavor and this team can't get their hands on it. And not taking draft position seriously is certainly a big reason for that.
It's been explained many times. They don't get it.

waving monkey

Reaction score
The Cowboys should have lost their games against Atlanta (week 2), the Giants (week 5), and the Vikings (week 11). The Cowboys could of had the 3rd overall pick. They could have received the same haul the Dolphins did for the 3rd pick. In this scenario Surtain or Horn would likely be available at 12. Plus they would have 2 extra 1st round picks + an extra 3rd round pick in the future. They could have also selected a QB at 3 and trade Dak. A ridiculous botched onside kick + signing Andy Dalton cost this franchise for years to come.
we are not in a rebuild mode. the atlanta onside kick what do you want the players do in the 2nd game of the season? nobody knows the cruel fate to come they want to win.
Yes Im talking out of bothsides of my mouth there is no blame. Im not against the rebuild concept but we preformed about as poorly as we could but won six games.

RoyalCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would not want some of you guys as my leadership on a sports team with that tanking mentality. ***** that dude...you play to win the game. I would lose all respect for you if you told me some non-sense like that. And that itself will start a domino effect.

kskboys

Reaction score
I would not want some of you guys as my leadership on a sports team with that tanking mentality. ***** that dude...you play to win the game. I would lose all respect for you if you told me some non-sense like that. And that itself will start a domino effect.
Sure didn't domino after Jimmy Johnson tanked. Not happening to MIA either. Where did you see this domino phenomenon?

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Terrible thread and thought process. Some agree with your logic and I can't help but question whether they've been on a winning team with a winning mentality. Look....you don't intentionally lose games unless you want to poison your locker room and turn them against the coaches. There's no ifs, ands, or buts. There is no justification for it.

Draft picks are nice but there are already good young players on the team that need to learn how to fight, compete, and win at this level. Are you willing to stunt their progress for a couple of draft picks that may or may not hit? I'm not. Sorry, but losing is contagious, losing on purpose is unacceptable at all levels of competitive sports. Take your draft picks. I want fighters, scrappers on this team.

Fmart322

Reaction score
So unless we're a playoff caliber team we should lose all games to get draft picks?
Doesn't sound like fun.