CFZ The Cowboys and Complimentary Football

MyFairLady

Reaction score
It is tough when your players literally do not want to even be there. Our guys were done before the game started and we are gonna run it back with the same clowns.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Apparently there are multiple definitions of the term “complimentary football”. For purposes of this discussion, I’m going to define CF as the ability of the three phases of the team - offense, defense and STs - to help each other to do whatever it takes to win football games.

Here are some examples of what I mean:
  • If your offense is stalled early in the game and cannot move the ball, the defense must step up their game to keep the the opposing offense from scoring, getting a turnover or at least holding them to FGs.
  • If the defense is playing well early, it should inspire the other two phases to play well.
  • If the offense takes the opening kickoff and scores a TD, the defense can compliment that by forcing a punt from the opponent.
  • If the offense is struggling, STs can step up and make plays on punt coverage, cause a TO or even make a long FG to give the team momentum when most needed.
A great example of complimentary football was provided in last year’s SB:
  • The chiefs 5 possessions in the first half were - punt, punt, punt, fumble then a FG at end of the half.
  • The chiefs defense stepped up. Despite getting gashed early by the niners offense, the chiefs D kept them in the game by forcing an early fumble and holding the niners to only 10 points, giving Mahomes and the chiefs offense time to get it together.
  • In the second half the chiefs offense outscored the niners 22-12.
  • Without that defensive performance, the chiefs don’t win the SB.
The Cowboys had 6 losses last season including the playoff embarrassment to the pack, and in 4 of those losses, the games got out of hand early because none of the three phases could help the other to get out of their funk. In the packer game, GB took the opening KO and drove 75 yards in 12 plays. The Cowboys offense responded with a three and out. Then after forcing a packers punt, Dak threw a pick, and it’s 14-0. The offense HAD to respond. They punted.

In the second half, the Cowboys first possession resulted in a FG making it 27-10. The pack then went 75 yards in 5 plays to make it 34-10. That was a classic case of all phases of a team failing. Dak was awful. The defense was awful. STs did nothing special. No complimentary football.

The screams for a new HC, a new QB, upgrades at certain other positions won’t matter if this team cannot get better at complimentary football.
Yea but the thing is a new or better HC, QB and upgrade at positions of weakness will help the team get better at CF. It’s all intertwined .

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chiefs have the best QB in the game w/ no close 2nd. And they are now showing everyone unequivocally that D wins championships.

Did anyone even notice that Mahomes only put up 17 vs the Ravens? That loses most games.
How did mahommes perform in that game?

RonWashington

Reaction score
When your offense is sputtering out first half against GB it was imperative to get stops on the defensive side . Never happened.

shabazz

Reaction score
Apparently there are multiple definitions of the term “complimentary football”. For purposes of this discussion, I’m going to define CF as the ability of the three phases of the team - offense, defense and STs - to help each other to do whatever it takes to win football games.

• If your offense is stalled early in the game and cannot move the ball, the defense must step up their game to keep the the opposing offense from scoring, getting a turnover or at least holding them to FGs.
  • If the defense is playing well early, it should inspire the other two phases to play well.
  • If the offense takes the opening kickoff and scores a TD, the defense can compliment that by forcing a punt from the opponent.
  • If the offense is struggling, STs can step up and make plays on punt coverage, cause a TO or even make a long FG to give the team momentum when most needed.
  • The chiefs 5 possessions in the first half were - punt, punt, punt, fumble then a FG at end of the half.
  • The chiefs defense stepped up. Despite getting gashed early by the niners offense, the chiefs D kept them in the game by forcing an early fumble and holding the niners to only 10 points, giving Mahomes and the chiefs offense time to get it together.
The Cowboys had 6 losses last season including the playoff embarrassment to the pack, and in 4 of those losses, the games got out of hand early because none of the three phases could help the other to get out of their funk. In the packer game, GB took the opening KO and drove 75 yards in 12 plays. The Cowboys offense responded with a three and out. Then after forcing a packers punt, Dak threw a pick, and it’s 14-0. The offense HAD to respond. They punted.

In the second half, the Cowboys first possession resulted in a FG making it 27-10. The pack then went 75 yards in 5 plays to make it 34-10. That was a classic case of all phases of a team failing. Dak was awful. The defense was awful. STs did nothing special. No complimentary football.

The screams for a new HC, a new QB, upgrades at certain other positions won’t matter if this team cannot get better at complimentary football.
The title is an oxymoron.....but one thing that seems to have plagued us , even back to the Romo days, has been the inability to have our offense and defense on the same page when the games count most.

I truly don't know why

shabazz

Reaction score
What’s worse was how GB just physically destroyed the Cowboys defense. It was demoralizing.
And this is EXACTLY why I point to the opponents level of strength when we point to these useless stats.

Last season our defense allowed only 13 points in 3 games.....but it was against Patriots, Jets and Giants.

Our offense put up the same type of gaudy stats against those same 3 scrappy teams.

The Green Bay game was a total team loss and the 3 "best" players that now want to set the market went AWOL

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He threw for 241 yards but their offense only gained 319. The ravens had 3 turnovers but also only had 336 yards. Great defense shows up even on the road.
There's no doubt of that!

I was asking because I couldn't remember, but I was looking to see if hommes made any critical mistakes. If he'd had a couple ints for points...then he gets HEAT! Same as I give Dak. Hommes did not...and thus helped with the win despite the low stats.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

and it goes both ways. there are times that the defense is not playing well, thus offense has to be able to keep up with scoring. a great example last year was the Seattle game, when the defense was abused and the offense was able to keep up.

you need both. its not all on one side or the other. but if one side does, the other side has to do their part and unfrotunately that hasn't happened for us, specially in the playoffs

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He’s also on numerous occasions put all the blame on the QB.
No, KSK has always maintained our weaknesses on defense were our greater concerns.

I’d challenge anyone to provide “ numerous occasions” him placing blame on the QB.

My recollection is in the Packers playoff loss he said it was a total team collapse on both sides of the ball.