CFZ The Cowboys and Complimentary Football

kskboys

Reaction score
It’s only trending that way lately because of all the folks with a lot more knowledge than most here start coming out and saying what I, and several others, have been saying for a long time now.
Nope. Most fans agree it was both, you must be listening to the Dakspatters, those who just go on and on and on complaining and whining about what others think.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I would also add that there’s a complimentary football component within the 3 phases.

On offense, if you can’t pass, it’s harder to run because the defense can stack the box. If you can’t run, it’s harder to pass because the defense anticipates and loads up on the pass.

On defense, what good is a stout run defense if you can’t cover (Eagles last year)? What good is an excellent secondary and pass rush, if you can’t stop the run (Dallas last year)?

On special teams, how much does a great punter who flips the field help you if your kicker can’t make field goals.

Drilling down, what good is an elite QB if your receivers stink or your OL can’t protect? What good is having an elite RB if the OL can’t open holes or an elite receiver if the OL can’t provide time or the QB can’t deliver the ball?

You are 100% correct on CF, and it relates to every facet and even every play the coordinator calls on offense or defense.
Football is the ultimate team sport. You cannot defeat the best teams, especially in the playoffs, when your offense and defense are one dimensional because a one dimensional defense will not hold up when you need them, and a one dimensional offense will not deliver consistently vs good teams. Last year we had no run game or run defense. That put a ton of pressure on both the offense and defense vs top, more balanced teams.

I think we finally took steps in the draft to fix this with multiple OL picks and defensive selections targeting the run defense, but we are likely still a year away from real complementary football.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
And now we have the back we didn’t even want and lost our starting C and LT. I just don’t see it improving much this year.
It will be very bad this season, and I suspect Jerry will make a panic trade of high picks for a mid level back because of it.

As it stands right now teams should just take away the passing game and dare the Cowboys to beat them with the run.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would also add that there’s a complimentary football component within the 3 phases.

On offense, if you can’t pass, it’s harder to run because the defense can stack the box. If you can’t run, it’s harder to pass because the defense anticipates and loads up on the pass.

On defense, what good is a stout run defense if you can’t cover (Eagles last year)? What good is an excellent secondary and pass rush, if you can’t stop the run (Dallas last year)?

On special teams, how much does a great punter who flips the field help you if your kicker can’t make field goals.

Drilling down, what good is an elite QB if your receivers stink or your OL can’t protect? What good is having an elite RB if the OL can’t open holes or an elite receiver if the OL can’t provide time or the QB can’t deliver the ball?

You are 100% correct on CF, and it relates to every facet and even every play the coordinator calls on offense or defense.
Football is the ultimate team sport. You cannot defeat the best teams, especially in the playoffs, when your offense and defense are one dimensional because a one dimensional defense will not hold up when you need them, and a one dimensional offense will not deliver consistently vs good teams. Last year we had no run game or run defense. That put a ton of pressure on both the offense and defense vs top, more balanced teams.

I think we finally took steps in the draft to fix this with multiple OL picks and defensive selections targeting the run defense, but we are likely still a year away from real complementary football.
Chuck your statement is SO TRUE:, “You cannot defeat the best teams, especially in the playoffs, when your offense and defense are one dimensional because a one dimensional defense will not hold up when you need them, and a one dimensional offense will not deliver consistently vs good teams.“

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s only trending that way lately because of all the folks with a lot more knowledge than most here start coming out and saying what I, and several others, have been saying for a long time now.
I think it’s always been there . At least for most fans I’m close to or follow. I stay away from most of the noise which often dominates the airwaves which usually represents a vocal minority.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Chuck your statement is SO TRUE:, “You cannot defeat the best teams, especially in the playoffs, when your offense and defense are one dimensional because a one dimensional defense will not hold up when you need them, and a one dimensional offense will not deliver consistently vs good teams.“
Yea, our offense and defense were ranked high mostly because of our lopsided wins.

There were many fans who warned that we weren’t a legit 2nd seed. And our hype was based mostly on these wins against lesser teams.

I wasn’t surprised GB beat us. Just disappointed we were blown out.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It will be very bad this season, and I suspect Jerry will make a panic trade of high picks for a mid level back because of it.

As it stands right now teams should just take away the passing game and dare the Cowboys to beat them with the run.
Or if we don’t sign Dak , just let him and MM crash and burn supporting not getting a deal done.

Now if we resign Dak then he could make a desperate trade like he did in 2018 to try and save the season.

My hunch is running game will sputter and will be placed on Dak and passing game. He gets hurt and season over.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
This.
Times 100.
If we are not gonna get back to effective running on offense in order to rest a defense that lacks physicality, then we will continue to lose the way we always have when facing above .500/playoff level teams.
The team's history of statistical numbers reflect how when we are able to run effectively directly influences wins.

If we can run the ball and sustain TOP and thus therefore keep it out of strong opponent offenses, we can win with a just "good enough" defense.

The primary reason we can't do this is the coaching/run blocking of this o-line. All the while telling us the lie of Run the damn ball and rest the defense.

To me, too much emphasis of this OP's complimentary term is ignoring how much better an average defense like ours would look so much h better if the offense complimented the defense with effective running.

If we can't stop the run BUT can still be effective running ourselves, it changes the whole dynamic of not stopping the run AND not being able to run.
That's my definition of complimentary football for this team especially.

This coach already preached on this aforementioned blueprint to complimentary team success.
Him and his assistants just don't know how to coach it, ie proper run game.

jmo
Yes indeed, having advantage in TOP requires a solid running offense, without it and poor 3rd down execution, a decent DL gets worn down.
With a solid running game and good execution resulting in TOP = rested DL, even an average DL plays decent enough.

kskboys

Reaction score
Definitely, but Spagnuolo definitely deserves his flowers. He's had several defenses heat up through the NFL playoffs.
Not to mention that they Chiefs were ranked 2nd on D during the season. The Chiefs went to more of a ball control O/D team, and BLAM!!! 2 consecutive super bowl wins.