CFZ The Cowboys and Complimentary Football

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
and it goes both ways. there are times that the defense is not playing well, thus offense has to be able to keep up with scoring. a great example last year was the Seattle game, when the defense was abused and the offense was able to keep up.

you need both. its not all on one side or the other. but if one side does, the other side has to do their part and unfrotunately that hasn't happened for us, specially in the playoffs
And that’sall because the defense can’t stop the run and the offense can’t run the ball. You guys are finally coming around.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No, KSK has always maintained our weaknesses on defense were our greater concerns.

I’d challenge anyone to provide “ numerous occasions” him placing blame on the QB.

My recollection is in the Packers playoff loss he said it was a total team collapse on both sides of the ball.
Hes been a long time Dak downer.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What’s worse was how GB just physically destroyed the Cowboys defense. It was demoralizing.
No doubt. I believe GB scored 7 TD’s on 8 consecutive possessions . On a top 5 caliber defense. Completely demoralizing regardless whether our QB gave up a couple picks which put us in a hole.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No doubt. I believe GB scored 7 TD’s on 8 consecutive possessions . On a top 5 caliber defense. Completely demoralizing regardless whether our QB gave up a couple picks which put us in a hole.
Both were demoralizing. When it smacks you in the face that you’re getting physically dominated on both sides of the ball it’s time to start singing “Turn the lights…”

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And that’sall because the defense can’t stop the run and the offense can’t run the ball. You guys are finally coming around.
I think more fans are more in the middle on this seeing the futility we had on both sides of the ball against Packers.

Unfortunately the extremes all too often are the loudest voices dominating the airwaves.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think more fans are more in the middle on this seeing the futility we had on both sides of the ball against Packers.

Unfortunately the extremes all too often are the loudest voices dominating the airwaves.
You can’t be in the middle. Either you agree that it takes an entire team as well as competent coaches to win a Super Bowl or you want to put almost all the blame on the QB. There’s no middle except for those who play both sides just for the sake of argument ^^.

nhcowboysfan

Reaction score
Well done.

Chris Jones was the MVP of that super bowl.

And to get stops in the playoffs, you absolutely must have big hawgs up front. Ballet dancers ain't gettin' it done.
I would add that it was Karlaftis that was the DL that stepped up in the 1st half. Chris Jones more in the 2nd. And the entire front seven were also helped by a couple of players in the secondary.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You can’t be in the middle. Either you agree that it takes an entire team as well as competent coaches to win a Super Bowl or you want to put almost all the blame on the QB. There’s no middle except for those who play both sides just for the sake of argument ^^.
That’s not my meaning. My intention was more fans agree it was a failure on both sides of the ball. Which doesn’t excuse our QB.

kskboys

Reaction score
You would think this is common knowledge as it’s basic football. But then you come to CZ and realize how many here have no clue.
YUP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

kskboys

Reaction score
This is where coaching will mean so much more than ever for Dallas.

With the lack of moves to improve this year. And Dallas relying upon the draft more than ever. And for the young players, not only for this years draft, but for the past past 3 years now. And some of their own FA's.

The the coaches need to make this happen more than ever now. If they want rehired for another 3 to 5 years, they will need to step up as well. Make the team more disciplined and eliminate the league high numbers in penalties.
Coaching can't make a 200 pound LB suddenly weigh 250.

kskboys

Reaction score
Agree but this D isn't built that way - they are built to play downhill - the O gets a big lead and they can pin their ears back and attack the QB. Cant expect them to stop the run with jag DTs and no LBs to speak of.

And they haven't gotten that much better this year...
And building a D that way is beyond stupid. You're just not going to have a lead all the time in the playoffs. Dumb dumb dumb.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys were legitimately shocked at how bad they were at running the football a season ago. You go back to last offseason and McCarthy really went into camp talking up the defense, how it was the strength of the team and how they wanted to put them in the best position to bring havoc to opposing offenses. Early in the season it was pretty clear that the Cowboys wanted to establish the run, dominate TOP and keep the defense fresh to attack whenever they were on the field.

I think they had every intention of playing complementary football in 2023 and they racked up a lot of early wins, but we could all see the vulnerabilities in this team. Ultimately thought complementary football starts to go out the window when your team is one dimensional on both side of the football.
And it was so predictable. We had a comp back as our main back. Just so dumb.

kskboys

Reaction score
I would add that it was Karlaftis that was the DL that stepped up in the 1st half. Chris Jones more in the 2nd. And the entire front seven were also helped by a couple of players in the secondary.
Ooooh, Karlaftis. I wanted him in the draft so badly, but we needed OL. As usual, Jerry had failed to keep the OL strong so we were forced yet again to go OL in the 1st. Which left beastly Karlaftis for KC to merrily jump on.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Apparently there are multiple definitions of the term “complimentary football”. For purposes of this discussion, I’m going to define CF as the ability of the three phases of the team - offense, defense and STs - to help each other to do whatever it takes to win football games.

Here are some examples of what I mean:
  • If your offense is stalled early in the game and cannot move the ball, the defense must step up their game to keep the the opposing offense from scoring, getting a turnover or at least holding them to FGs.
  • If the defense is playing well early, it should inspire the other two phases to play well.
  • If the offense takes the opening kickoff and scores a TD, the defense can compliment that by forcing a punt from the opponent.
  • If the offense is struggling, STs can step up and make plays on punt coverage, cause a TO or even make a long FG to give the team momentum when most needed.
A great example of complimentary football was provided in last year’s SB:
  • The chiefs 5 possessions in the first half were - punt, punt, punt, fumble then a FG at end of the half.
  • The chiefs defense stepped up. Despite getting gashed early by the niners offense, the chiefs D kept them in the game by forcing an early fumble and holding the niners to only 10 points, giving Mahomes and the chiefs offense time to get it together.
  • In the second half the chiefs offense outscored the niners 22-12.
  • Without that defensive performance, the chiefs don’t win the SB.
The Cowboys had 6 losses last season including the playoff embarrassment to the pack, and in 4 of those losses, the games got out of hand early because none of the three phases could help the other to get out of their funk. In the packer game, GB took the opening KO and drove 75 yards in 12 plays. The Cowboys offense responded with a three and out. Then after forcing a packers punt, Dak threw a pick, and it’s 14-0. The offense HAD to respond. They punted.

In the second half, the Cowboys first possession resulted in a FG making it 27-10. The pack then went 75 yards in 5 plays to make it 34-10. That was a classic case of all phases of a team failing. Dak was awful. The defense was awful. STs did nothing special. No complimentary football.

The screams for a new HC, a new QB, upgrades at certain other positions won’t matter if this team cannot get better at complimentary football.
Pretty much sums up the Cowboys playoff drought. Slow starts with the offense not able to stay on the field and the defense not being able to get off the field at the same time. Complimentary football has everything to do with coaching and understanding the game flow, adapting, and motivating your players to step up.

Last year was a prime example of coaching failure and poor personnel decisions. How many times can they rollout the same story of a team that struggles early, can't stop the run, rallys late in the game but runs short on time to make it interesting.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That’s not my meaning. My intention was more fans agree it was a failure on both sides of the ball. Which doesn’t excuse our QB.
It’s only trending that way lately because of all the folks with a lot more knowledge than most here start coming out and saying what I, and several others, have been saying for a long time now.