The Cowboys Are Averaging Just 5 Yards Per Play This Season. The 2nd Lowest Efficiency Over The Last 20 Years

nhcowboysfan

Reaction score
There might be something to the fact that Solari ain't gettin' it done.
Possibly similar to that failed OL coach Alexander type run scheme/philosophy again.

Cuz it just don't make sense that all of the oline run blocking AND the RB sucks all of a sudden.
100% agree. Last year, Martin, Tyler Smith, and Steele were moving the defensive line back - and now all of a sudden they can't. Same with Pollard. Last year he was averaging more than 5 yards a carry and now it seems like he has escape tacklers before he gets to the line of scrimmage. What has changed: This year we have a new OL and RB coach. I am not impressed with Solari. He was likely the reason why we didn't select the guard from Florida in the 2nd round of the draft - as the reason given was that he didn't fit our blocking scheme. Well, here's a news flash - neither do any of our current OL. Combine that with the vanilla, crappy scheme being executed by MM and Schottenheimer, it's no wonder we are having scoring issues. I like to hear less talk about what draft picks we should give up to get another player and more discussion on firing the OL and bringing in somebody else with a power blocking scheme.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Henry solves a lot of these issues. Pollard is not a North south runner. And the fact the FO thought he was is scary.

MM needs to incorporate more stretch, counter, and misdirection runs.

I'd be all for us using our 2nd for Henry.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Henry is not going to fix the run game himself if the OL continues to struggle. Would be a meaningless move and waste of draft capital.

Trust me I'm all for bringing him in if the OL wasn't struggling big time
I'm a believer that the running game struggles aren't all on the OL. I think we're trying to run Pollard up the middle far more than we should be and that's not his game. He's an outside-in runner. If we wanted a middle pounder, we might as well have kept Zeke or drafted a better Zeke at this point. I'm all for getting Henry if that's going to be our game plan, but I don't expect the front office to be bold like that.

75boyz

Reaction score
100% agree. Last year, Martin, Tyler Smith, and Steele were moving the defensive line back - and now all of a sudden they can't. Same with Pollard. Last year he was averaging more than 5 yards a carry and now it seems like he has escape tacklers before he gets to the line of scrimmage. What has changed: This year we have a new OL and RB coach. I am not impressed with Solari. He was likely the reason why we didn't select the guard from Florida in the 2nd round of the draft - as the reason given was that he didn't fit our blocking scheme. Well, here's a news flash - neither do any of our current OL. Combine that with the vanilla, crappy scheme being executed by MM and Schottenheimer, it's no wonder we are having scoring issues. I like to hear less talk about what draft picks we should give up to get another player and more discussion on firing the OL and bringing in somebody else with a power blocking scheme.
You nailed it here in my opinion.
I can't accept everybody sucking all at the same time in the span of a year either.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pollard doesn't need to be a lead back so to speak. In today's day and age vast majority if teams run a good 1-2 or even 1-2-3 punch. The CMC and Henry's would be a dieing breed.

But yes Henry/Pollard would be better then Pollard/dowdell obviously.

Pollard did just fine when Zeke was injured but he was utilized to his strengths unlike now. If you want an up the middle back for 2 yard gains every now and a change of pace back go get someone dirt cheap. Zeke provided nothing towards the end that couldn't be replaced by a JAG and his blocking which was a huge bonus at one point took a big dip also. Pollard graded out better and has improved tons in that regards.

It's all the OL, scheme and not using Pollard correctly
So you say Pollard couldn't do anything up the middle and that's just fine. and dandy No problem

Zeke couldn't do anything up the middle and it's HIS fault.

If we had an o'line and scheme and true commitment to the run...both would do just fine up the middle.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
There’s hope it seems, I don’t believe this lien will hold up tho they all are so inconstant even Martin now with his nagging injuries

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Well said , if our OL even run blocks like last year this would improve by a yard. I think our OL regression either personnel fitness or scheme needs to be fixed soon to have a viable offense.
Anemic running is not helping this QB and play caller.
we got scrub RBs.

Blackrain

Reaction score
See this is where my mind goes with this.

Pollard is missing Zeke. Regardless of your opinion of Zeke its the truth. Pollard was never a lead back. The FO failed miserably this off-season in that regard. And also drafting a TE in round 2 instead of the OL staring them in the face.

Henry comes in. Immediately fixes the red zone running issues, and also hammers the defense allowing Pollard to do what he does best. Change the pace.

What needs to happen is a complete overhaul of the run game. I am tired of seeing Pollard hitting the A gap lol. Hes not built like that.
Got to agree didn't think Pollard would come back from the injury 100% and didn't think he was a full-time lead back anyway that said almost anything would have been better than another tight end including drafting a running back which could have gone a long way to solving this problem.
Instead will end up training a second or third round pick for somebody who's just about wore out anyway to get the job done