The Cowboys are expected to hire Mike Zimmer as their defensive coordinator

starfan1

Reaction score
They didn’t run him out of town. Parcells called it quits. Thats when Jerry went out and got his ‘young and innovative’ offensive coach and then Wade Phillips to run the 3/4.
Parcells left and Wade Phillips came in as HC/DC.
Ok fair enough seems like I remember the frustration of our corners playing off and us getting gouged

LysleE

Reaction score
What a joke of a hire…the guy has been out of football for 3-4 years and was forced out of Dallas for having a conservative, non-blitzing defense…and this is the guy that Jerry hires to show the fans that the Cowboys are “all in”. What a splash hire Jerry!
But then again…what DC would want to come to Dallas with a lame duck HC AND Jerry Jones playing GM?

JeffInDC

Reaction score
with our personnel i would have gone with….

oh wait our personal is gone in FA and we have no cap room to fill holes. i don’t think it matters who comes in it’s going to fail be blown up and bellicheat will be here next year with vrabel as the DC and coach in waiting.
Hmmmm...our personnel is gone? The only FA's on the D are:
  • Gilmore
  • Lewis
  • Hankins
  • Fowler
  • Armstrong
  • Kearse
Other posts have shown just how simple the Cowboys can create a nice chunk of Cap Room to resign all of these guys if they wanted. But, I think the only ones they would even wanna keep are Gilmore and/or Lewis and Hank - which they can ABSOLUTELY do. I personally believe they are gonna get a better NT and a good/really good veteran MLB to sure up the middle of the D.

blueblood70

Reaction score
  • Gilmore
  • Lewis
  • Hankins
  • Fowler
  • Armstrong
  • Kearse
Other posts have shown just how simple the Cowboys can create a nice chunk of Cap Room to resign all of these guys if they wanted. But, I think the only ones they would even wanna keep are Gilmore and/or Lewis and Hank - which they can ABSOLUTELY do. I personally believe they are gonna get a better NT and a good/really good veteran MLB to sure up the middle of the D.
Any almost to me, he doesn't understand how they're gonna massage the cap. they are going to restructure three of the largest 2024 contracts that are coming up and anybody they do sign they'll make it back loaded as far as our own free agents go , they will find room to bring in some new guys..

. And I don't think this is a bad thing,,

I mean you got a new defensive coordinator coming in this is perfect he gets to pick who fills those holes to best fit his defense... I'm betting he's going to get the most out of Sam Williams and they're gonna play him a lot more as a three down defensive end in zimmer's defense so the loss of fowler or Armstrong or both aren't going to be as big a hit as people think...

We also have some pretty good talent waiting in the wings guys we've drafted the last couple years can fill some of those roles and they'll probably try to keep maybe two guys off that list... I don't believe fans really pay attention but we lose about 30% of our roster every year literally it turns over so much that in four or five years other than some core players we're playing with a completely different team...
I mean name me all the players that were here from 2016 with Prescott that are still here right now...

There aren't many...

Yet with all that turnover we still had three straight years of 12 win that's 36 wins two division titles and three straight playoff appearances I mean that's a pretty good three-year stretch...

Carson

Reaction score
  • Gilmore
  • Lewis
  • Hankins
  • Fowler
  • Armstrong
  • Kearse
I would also argue that outside of Hankins and Lewis, I don’t mind losing any of them.

Hankins and Lewis are also replaceable. They just fill massive needs at 1T and Nickel corner.

Sam Williams can replace Armstrong. Guys like Fehoko can eat snaps from Fowler.

Bell, Thomas and Izzy are ready for snaps at safety and can take over for Kearse.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I was worried Zimmer would not have a positive relationship with the younger Cowboys players. Zimmer had reports of Vikings players really getting tired of his BS when he was fired, and Dallas’ America’s Team/Jerry World/Glitz and Glamour atmosphere is all the young Cowboys defensive stars have known. With how vocal on social media and reactionary some of them are, the shock of what Zimmer is about to bring was a concern.

Rivera though is a successful D coordinator at the NFL level, and has very good people skills. I don’t recall a single Panther or Commander who took issue with him as a person. I think he would have been the best of both worlds.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I would also argue that outside of Hankins and Lewis, I don’t mind losing any of them.

Hankins and Lewis are also replaceable. They just fill massive needs at 1T and Nickel corner.

Sam Williams can replace Armstrong. Guys like Fehoko can eat snaps from Fowler.

Bell, Thomas and Izzy are ready for snaps at safety and can take over for Kearse.
dont forget gholston, hes been moved around a lot but could give something as a rare rush option. Yeah I don't think it's gonna be hard to fill a lot of those holes they're gonna have to at least keep Gilmore or Lewis... Hopefully Trayvon diggs is a quick recovery guy and not waiting on him like we have others I know people are saying it's most likely gonna happen but I'm saying everyone heals different but having diggs and bland on the outside and just finding a good inside guy i don't think that's gonna be as hard to do as people think.. I mean was Scott worth moving up for wasn't that guy named Eric Scott or whatever his name was he might get his chance maybe he starts inside.....

Smith22

Reaction score
Not sure if this is posted already, but I like this graph:

For me it's all about the 49ers. If Jerry can get players that fit Zim's scheme, the defense could be much improved next season.

Fingers crossed.

All about addressing our weaknesses. Zim starts with a decent foundation with Parsons, Diggs and Bland.

The front 7 needs some fixing, especially linebacker.

Aven8

Reaction score
I wanted Vrabel but was intrigued by Rex.

Having said that I am not dissatisfied with Zimm either. He’s grown a lot since 2006. I remember being envious of his style with Cincy and than Minny as we never saw that kind of play here. He made Barr into a pass rusher from the LB position which was new.

Having said all that, the FO MUST get LB’s and Dline help. It’s really not that difficult as the secondary is really good. I think Thomas is a budding star at Safety. I also think Sam Williams (bone headed aside) needs to play FT. He’s always applying pressure in his limited snaps. DQ failed on not playing him more.

Carson

Reaction score
I was worried Zimmer would not have a positive relationship with the younger Cowboys players. Zimmer had reports of Vikings players really getting tired of his BS when he was fired, and Dallas’ America’s Team/Jerry World/Glitz and Glamour atmosphere is all the young Cowboys defensive stars have known. With how vocal on social media and reactionary some of them are, the shock of what Zimmer is about to bring was a concern.

Rivera though is a successful D coordinator at the NFL level, and has very good people skills. I don’t recall a single Panther or Commander who took issue with him as a person. I think he would have been the best of both worlds.
Let’s be real. This team needs a swift kick in the butt and toughness

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mike-zimmer-expected-to-become-cowboys-dc

I like where it says Zimmer plays players to what their position is. And that Marquise Bell will likely go back to Safety. So does this mean the go after real LB's in FA and the draft.

Zimmer isn't one who loves a lot of flex, but he instead prefers his players to excel in the position they've been living in for most of their football career.
Hint: It's likely flexbacker Markquese Bell, as one example, returns to the safeties room.

conner01

Reaction score
All about addressing our weaknesses. Zim starts with a decent foundation with Parsons, Diggs and Bland.

The front 7 needs some fixing, especially linebacker.
Zimmer focuses on stopping the run and creating confusion on the oline. Our pass rusher won’t be doubled and triple teamed because they won’t know who is actually coming. At least that’s how it suppose to work