The Cowboys are expected to hire Mike Zimmer as their defensive coordinator

cristglo

Reaction score
Since Jimmy left, other than Parcells, Jerry always hires coaches for his personal comfort not necessarily to hire the best coach for the team’s needs.

In fairness to JJ, we don’t know if they wanted to hire someone with more upside but because of Big Mac’s lame duck status couldn’t attract someone like that. I doubt it. But we don’t know for sure.

Again, I wish Zim well. This just feels like another sequel to a movie we’ve seen before.
You’ve hit the nail on the head and the more I think about this it’s either gonna be one lucky move or one big mess with Jerry grasping at straws gosh I hope we’re wrong

Cowboys5217

Reaction score

To quote Spagnola, which is appropriate in this case, "if he is so good why was he available?"

Not only that, but nobody else has wanted Zimmer for any coaching at the top levels for a couple of years now.

This is probably the worst choice Jerry could have made.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Zimmer was an excellent defensive coach. I respect him. I just think his best days are in the rear view mirror. But I will happily be wrong.
He was never excellent. He's the very definition of mediocre. Defense wins championships and Zimmer's have never done that. Not even a conference championship win. Its more of the same for Dallas.

Get out of the bargaining stage. You know as well as I do that this is a disastrous hiring.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Uninspiring, unimaginative, unreal.

I can't believe this fake tough guy coaching coward is back.
It lets us know right off that bat that Jerry isn't serious about going all-in nor with success in 2024.

Last edited:

Jarntt

Reaction score
We do need a safety. What were you watching?? Kearse stinks.
Perhaps you have to learn about your team. Kearse is a FA and good chance he won’t even be on the team next year. Wilson will be SS and Hooker FS. We also have Bell who is a SS and Mukuamu (who showed he was better in coverage in the prior years playoffs playing the slot) and Thomas who showed a little promise for a first year guy. We don’t need a safety. We won’t play 3 safeties all game like we have the last couple of years. We certainly won’t be playing 3 safeties in the nickel. Like I said we don’t need a safety, we need to play our safeties the right way.

Last edited:

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In a way Zim is the perfect hire for the way this team likes to roll. He’s safe for the owner, he’s definitely done some good things for sure in the past, but he’s more about the past than the future. He’s good but not great, safe and available, and willing to work in and among the circus.

He’s a 9-8 kind of hire. Not a 13-4 hire. It’s an “around the rim” hire, not an above the rim hire.
But hey…Hope I’m wrong.
I'm not sure any DC could prevent the collapse I am expecting from this team.

cwbyfan72

Reaction score
I honestly don’t care if this team takes a step back in the win department. I want them to be COMPETITIVE when it matters. If Zimmerman can get them to do that, I’m on board. Win enough games to get in the playoffs, and be the team no one wants to face.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
IMO, terrible hire. Wasn't a fan of him as DC in Dallas before. His systems aren't imaginative and are closer to the Marinelli style bend but don't break stuff that sucks in today's NFL. Been out of the league to boot.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
IMO, terrible hire. Wasn't a fan of him as DC in Dallas before. His systems aren't imaginative and are closer to the Marinelli style bend but don't break stuff that sucks in today's NFL. Been out of the league to boot.
No man.

He’s not Nolan.

Our Defense is in good hands.

Take a look at how well the Vikes played with him as HC.

That AA gap was designed by Jim Johnson(eagles?) and Zimmer has It mastered.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Zimmer Will Be THE Head Coach Of Dallas Cowboys 2025
TAKE IT TO THE BANK
This kind of take makes no sense whatsoever.

If the team does better, McCarthy keeps his job.

If the team doesn't, Joneses fold, throwing their cards back into the middle of the table... overhaul.

Zimmer isn't some young offensive coordinator with a reputation for high intelligence based on his Ivy League education who also once played for the Cowboys. Very different scenario.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I'm not sure any DC could prevent the collapse I am expecting from this team.
I’m worried too.

They really went all in last season.

Our salary cap is tight.

We could lose two starters on the OL also.

Bardley1985

Reaction score
At least they will be sound. Not that they weren’t with DQ. If Diggs and Bland play 10 yards off the WR however I might snap!
Did you watch the game against Green Bay? It was 3rd and 3, and DQ had them 10 yards off the ball.