The Cowboys are expected to hire Mike Zimmer as their defensive coordinator

Blitzen

Reaction score
This kind of take makes no sense whatsoever.

If the team does better, McCarthy keeps his job.

If the team doesn't, Joneses fold, throwing their cards back into the middle of the table... overhaul.

Zimmer isn't some young offensive coordinator with a reputation for high intelligence based on his Ivy League education who also once played for the Cowboys. Very different scenario.
It should not surprise anyone if Zimmer got the head coaching gig, if the Cowboys got rid of McCarthy after this season. I’m not sure what Jones does in the next several years for the head coaching position if they keep failing in the postseason.

I don’t think that the Cowboys head coaching gig is that attractive to young ascending coaches that want lots of say with regards to whom they work with on the coaching tree and the front office-and obviously personnel. The position currently seems to be set up for older retreads (albeit with skins on the wall preferably),

starfan1

Reaction score
dont care for this selection i would have preferred young and innovative but zimmer is good enough to build on some thing Quinn had done right and probably improve on his shortcomings

Big_D

Reaction score
dont care for this selection i would have preferred young and innovative but zimmer is good enough to build on some thing Quinn had done right and probably improve on his shortcomings
Why does everyone assume young automatically means innovative? It’s much more likely that it just means inexperienced or not good enough. It’s 11 guys playing defense. He doesn’t have to reinvent the wheel.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even Mrs. Jones ain't buying it.................... :muttley:

DAL1180

Reaction score
I just don’t get why so many old dudes are candidates for top jobs in todays society in general. I mean, mental decline typically starts around 50 y.o and accelerates around 70.

I’m not hugely against this hire but it’s just such a contrast seeing such a meritocracy on the field and then an old boys club off it.
And yet the best team in professional football over the last 4-5 years has coaches/coordinators as old or older than Dallas has.

starfan1

Reaction score
Why does everyone assume young automatically means innovative? It’s much more likely that it just means inexperienced or not good enough. It’s 11 guys playing defense. He doesn’t have to reinvent the wheel.
I said thats my preference not necessarily have to be yours. Young coordinaters on offense are having much more success in todays NFL now KC defensive coordinator is 63 and SF is 54 it doesnt mean zimmer at 67 cant be a success. I do know we ran him out of town for a reason but this is a different team

I surely hope this time around is better.

Big_D

Reaction score
I said thats my preference not necessarily have to be yours. Young coordinaters on offense are having much more success in todays NFL now KC defensive coordinator is 63 and SF is 54 it doesnt mean zimmer at 67 cant be a success. I do know we ran him out of town for a reason but this is a different team

They didn’t run him out of town. Parcells called it quits. Thats when Jerry went out and got his ‘young and innovative’ offensive coach and then Wade Phillips to run the 3/4.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
To quote Spagnola, which is appropriate in this case, "if he is so good why was he available?"

Not only that, but nobody else has wanted Zimmer for any coaching at the top levels for a couple of years now.

This is probably the worst choice Jerry could have made.
Coaches take time off.

It’s an 18 hour job every day.

His coaching record is excellent.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
This Zimmer hire just places more blame on Jerruh when the 2024 season goes south.
I just hope that Mike McCarthy does well, and lands on his feet somewhere else as a HC in 2025.
Guessing McCarthy won't be re-signed unless the Boys make the SB, and that is never happening with the present roster.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Ok folks. We've had a good back and forth about Zimmer being named the new DC. How about everyone telling us how THEY would've picked and (if NOT Zimmer) why they would've been a better choice. Personally, I chose Zimmer out of those they interviewed and possibly could've interviewed. In Zimmer's last 10 years as a HC/DC, his defenses finished in the Top 10 in PPG 7 times (5 times in YPG). Not bad.

speedkilz88

Reaction score

Parcells left and Wade Phillips came in as HC/DC.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Ok folks. We've had a good back and forth about Zimmer being named the new DC. How about everyone telling us how THEY would've picked and (if NOT Zimmer) why they would've been a better choice. Personally, I chose Zimmer out of those they interviewed and possibly could've interviewed. In Zimmer's last 10 years as a HC/DC, his defenses finished in the Top 10 in PPG 7 times (5 times in YPG). Not bad.
with our personnel i would have gone with….

oh wait our personal is gone in FA and we have no cap room to fill holes. i don’t think it matters who comes in it’s going to fail be blown up and bellicheat will be here next year with vrabel as the DC and coach in waiting.