CFZ The Cowboys Bring Me No Joy Anymore

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I know this is going to get a lot of “well, just stop watching them” replies, but hear me out.

I’ve been a fan since I was 5, and haven’t missed a game in 15+ years. But the Cowboys just don’t bring me any joy anymore. I feel like they’re a redundant cycle of disappointment and I don’t see any evidence on the field that they’re going to change any time soon.

I vividly remember watching a game in 2002 against the Carolina Panthers. This was during the Quincy Carter years, and the offense was anemic. Well, they were down 13-0 until late in the game. They got super lucky and scored off a tipped pass, and Joey Galloway made it 13-7. Then, with a minute remaining, Carter found Antonio Bryant for the acrobatic, game winning score. After that touchdown, my 16 year old self went absolutely ballistic. I vividly remember running down my hallway, screaming about how miraculous that game was and I couldn’t wait to discuss it with my friends at school the next day.

That 2002 team finished 5-11, but I loved watching every second of every game.

Maybe I’m just jaded and overly cynical, but the Dallas Cowboys just don’t move me anymore. The regular season wins just don’t matter to me like they used to. The lack of playoff success has diminished my overall joy and excitement toward this team.

No matter what happens, I know that this team isn’t going to win when it matters. The last 27 years have conditioned me to that reality. And that sucks the joy out of it for me.

How do I find appreciation for the fun games again? How do I find the optimism? Am I alone in feeling this way?

This is just a thought-dump from a frustrated and worn out fan. Take it for what it is.

I have really enjoyed this season and last season. It has been fun to watch, and the wait in between games sucks

HungryLion

Reaction score
If watching the games brings you no joy. Honestly maybe you should move on to another hobby.

I don’t mean that to be mean or snarky. I’m just being Real. Life is too short man. There’s tons of other cool stuff to do or watch with that time. Or maybe try taking a break. You can always come back to them if you stop watching and absence makes the heart grow fond again. Ya never know.

The cowboys piss me off like no other. But I still also. Love watching the games (when they’re competitive) and get a euphoric feeling when they manage to win an important or big game.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If watching the games brings you no joy. Honestly maybe you should move on to another hobby.

I don’t mean that to be mean or snarky. I’m just being Real. Life is too short man. There’s tons of other cool stuff to do or watch with that time. Or maybe try taking a break. You can always come back to them if you stop watching and absence makes the heart grow fond again. Ya never know.

The cowboys piss me off like no other. But I still also. Love watching the games (when they’re competitive) and get a euphoric feeling when they manage to win an important or big game.
Appreciate it, man! Didn’t take it wrong whatsoever. You’re probably right but it’s super hard to just stop watching after being so wired in to the team for nearly 30 years, ya know?

I’d probably start playing more golf with my free time if I stopped watching football, and that habit is hurting my wallet enough as is!

817Gill

Reaction score
If you agree or have the same opinions as the OP you are 1 of 2 things and no other.

1) Very Emotional

2) A miserable person

Before you bash me over this I'll give you reasons why.

Emotional - Cowboys lost a game and you're emotions took over for a little bit and to try and combat those emotions you decided posting on a Cowboys forum sad posts about your feelings over how the Cowboys hurt you on Sunday are just too much to take. All the while you are telling a bunch of Cowboy fans you've never met how the Cowboys "just don't do it for you" anymore...while posting on a Cowboys forum. Give it a week and you'll be fine.

Sad - You are just a miserable human being towards all aspects of your life, Cowboys included.

If I ever have the feeling that OP describes towards this team I will make a promise towards all the "non emotional and Sad" fans on this forum that I will not berate you in " Cowboys suck" and "This team doesn't do it for me anymore" posts. I, like an adult will take my interest to something that I enjoy. Instead of coming on this forum and telling everyone how much I hate this team I will, for example, go hit a golf ball. I won't ruin this forum for the rest of you. Promise.
Beautiful. I love the team but to be this upset over an OT regular season loss when you’re 6-3 is nuts to me. Did we expect to go undefeated? To those who say, “but it’s the way we lost!”, is there a good way to lose lol? Was there a more preferred method of losing or are you just a hyperbolic person who freaks out after a normal loss?

It’s at the point that I wish we win just so I can come here and see a normal forum. A week of people acting like the sky is falling is so off putting. I thoroughly enjoy this forum but I spent the least time I have all season on it this week because of all the hyperbolic emotion. How old are posters on this forum I’m genuinely interested in finding out how the ages are spread out. May illuminate the amount of extra emotional posts we get here after a loss/during the game.

Check the game threads during a game lol the stuff people say 2 drives into the game is pure comedy.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Appreciate it, man! Didn’t take it wrong whatsoever. You’re probably right but it’s super hard to just stop watching after being so wired in to the team for nearly 30 years, ya know?

I’d probably start playing more golf with my free time if I stopped watching football, and that habit is hurting my wallet enough as is!

Lol I hear ya. I wish golf wasn’t so expensive man. If not I would be playing every week.

I do hear ya about the habit though. It’s tough to break. Shoot. Every time I tell myself I’m going to post on this message board less often. I always somehow keep coming back. Lol

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Since '75, and I feel that. I used to hope, then worry, and now am quite certain I will never see my team win another Super Bowl. Or even make a Championship game, for that matter.

Hopefully, you've managed
The thing that confuses me is that my post referenced the polar opposite.

I no longer have any feeling — good or bad — after a win or a loss. I’m desensitized and lack any emotion at all. Losses aren’t depressing and wins aren’t enthusing.

Of course it’s just a game. But this is a forum about football, specifically Cowboys football. Not sure what else I should be talking about.

Not to get too personal, but are you healthy? Anyone in your family healthy? Find the things that do give you joy and embrace those things.

That's my best advice.

pancakeman

Reaction score
*shrug* I've enjoyed watching the Cowboys this season, after the stinker of an opener. There are only four teams in the whole league with fewer losses, and this last loss was in overtime at Lambeau. Pass defense is top notch and when the offense clicks it's great to see.
Cowboys are not flawless and if that's what you demand, you're going to be disappointed. But the teams above them have flaws too.
If in mid-November you're already convinced they're just going to lose a wild card game, why in the world are you bothering to post on a message board about this team?

Praxit

Reaction score
...I think Anita Baker has a song for you. Right down this title.. lol.. ;)...

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I know this is going to get a lot of “well, just stop watching them” replies, but hear me out.

I’ve been a fan since I was 5, and haven’t missed a game in 15+ years. But the Cowboys just don’t bring me any joy anymore. I feel like they’re a redundant cycle of disappointment and I don’t see any evidence on the field that they’re going to change any time soon.

I vividly remember watching a game in 2002 against the Carolina Panthers. This was during the Quincy Carter years, and the offense was anemic. Well, they were down 13-0 until late in the game. They got super lucky and scored off a tipped pass, and Joey Galloway made it 13-7. Then, with a minute remaining, Carter found Antonio Bryant for the acrobatic, game winning score. After that touchdown, my 16 year old self went absolutely ballistic. I vividly remember running down my hallway, screaming about how miraculous that game was and I couldn’t wait to discuss it with my friends at school the next day.

Maybe I’m just jaded and overly cynical, but the Dallas Cowboys just don’t move me anymore. The regular season wins just don’t matter to me like they used to. The lack of playoff success has diminished my overall joy and excitement toward this team.

No matter what happens, I know that this team isn’t going to win when it matters. The last 27 years have conditioned me to that reality. And that sucks the joy out of it for me.

How do I find appreciation for the fun games again? How do I find the optimism? Am I alone in feeling this way?

This is just a thought-dump from a frustrated and worn out fan. Take it for what it is.
Dont worry about it, just watch the games for the fun of the sport.

Try getting into fantasy football, then you have interest in how other teams and other players are doing besides just the Cowboys.

Some Cowboy fans I know bet money on the Cowboy's opponent so even if the Cowboys lose the game, they are happy they made some cash. I guess the key is to not get emotionally attached, I know that is easier said than done if somebody has been following the team for decades.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Dont worry about it, just watch the games for the fun of the sport.

Try getting into fantasy football, then you have interest in how other teams and other players are doing besides just the Cowboys.

Some Cowboy fans I know bet money on the Cowboy's opponent so even if the Cowboys lose the game, they are happy they made some cash. I guess the key is to not get emotionally attached, I know that is easier said than done if somebody has been following the team for decades.

I don't think that's what he's saying. I feel the same way he does. I don't want to speak for him but since the Ice Bowl the Cowboys have been the love of my life but now they are just an acquaintance.

I think he's trying to convey that he dearly would love to get that feeling back. It's not that the Cowboys are making him sad or causing him not to like or love the team. He wants to be nervous and excited and jump around and scream but 27 years of Jerry has sapped the life out of him (and me) and now nothing is the same.

For me, it's two things now. I want Jerry to be gone and I want a new quarterback. I love Dak Prescott the person, the leader, the man, I just don't want him as our quarterback eating up our cap space every year with no real chance of winning. I never felt like that about Tony and as Jerry will tell you, his biggest regret is not surrounding Romo with a defense that could compete.

I was able to hang in there with Chad Hutchinson and Quincy Carter and Drew Bledsoe etc, maybe because I was a bit younger and still thinking Jerry could right the ship but not only will he not, he can't because he would rather lose than win and not get the credit.

This is how I know it's Jerry and Dak. If in the same year Jerry was gone and say we drafted Justin Herbert or Lamar Jackson, I think I would come around again, but it's not gonna happen.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Don’t let the door hit you in the *** on the way out. You’ve been a fan for 15 years and you think that’s special? Gives you some kind of right to whine? This is the NFL. It’s tough to win. I’ve even a fan since I was 6 which was 1963. I’ve been through all the good and the bad and I still believe the Cowboys have a shot most years. You can quit. Kids these days like yourself quit easily. Not me.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Don’t let the door hit you in the *** on the way out. You’ve been a fan for 15 years and you think that’s special? Gives you some kind of right to whine? This is the NFL. It’s tough to win. I’ve even a fan since I was 6 which was 1963. I’ve been through all the good and the bad and I still believe the Cowboys have a shot most years. You can quit. Kids these days like yourself quit easily. Not me.
I thought you were 59. hum numbers don't add up

robertfchew

Reaction score

I’m in the same boat. I have had a bad year in my personal life and the cowboys were always there for me. I don’t even have the passion to argue with eagles fans anymore. I’m hoping as my life normalizes I can once again enjoy the cowboys as much as I used to.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get FAR MORE upset when my fantasy team loses than this group. It’ll always be that way too. Unfortunately.

robertfchew

Reaction score
Hate to say it but you just have to accept your team as a WWF/WWE wrestler at this point. Have to hope they come out on top of a made up outcome. I am not sure I am far off anymore. Am I crazy?

nope. Too many god awful calls changing games and calls that clearly made just to keep the games close

Brooksey

Reaction score

I went through this too but I'm back to loving the games win or lose, like when I was a kid.

How? I lowered my expectations and I realized there's more important things in life.

You can't spend much of your emotional capital on things you can't control.

vlad

Reaction score

I used to be very die hard but the second I realized Stephen imho is a clown like a decade ago I’ve definitely treated them very casually.

really follow cuz my mom started following as a way to connect to my brother and myself, So I really want a super Bowl for her

CWR

Reaction score
I'd advise trying to find joy in the journey. Too many are focused on the destination.

All I'm looking for is to be entertained. This team is always dramatic and always keeps me coming back.

Don't get me wrong, I end every season pissed off, but I have fun along the way. I don't believe I'd follow them if it was nothing but misery.