CFZ The Cowboys Bring Me No Joy Anymore

Reaction score
I know this is going to get a lot of “well, just stop watching them” replies, but hear me out.

I’ve been a fan since I was 5, and haven’t missed a game in 15+ years. But the Cowboys just don’t bring me any joy anymore. I feel like they’re a redundant cycle of disappointment and I don’t see any evidence on the field that they’re going to change any time soon.

I vividly remember watching a game in 2002 against the Carolina Panthers. This was during the Quincy Carter years, and the offense was anemic. Well, they were down 13-0 until late in the game. They got super lucky and scored off a tipped pass, and Joey Galloway made it 13-7. Then, with a minute remaining, Carter found Antonio Bryant for the acrobatic, game winning score. After that touchdown, my 16 year old self went absolutely ballistic. I vividly remember running down my hallway, screaming about how miraculous that game was and I couldn’t wait to discuss it with my friends at school the next day.

That 2002 team finished 5-11, but I loved watching every second of every game.

Maybe I’m just jaded and overly cynical, but the Dallas Cowboys just don’t move me anymore. The regular season wins just don’t matter to me like they used to. The lack of playoff success has diminished my overall joy and excitement toward this team.

No matter what happens, I know that this team isn’t going to win when it matters. The last 27 years have conditioned me to that reality. And that sucks the joy out of it for me.

How do I find appreciation for the fun games again? How do I find the optimism? Am I alone in feeling this way?

This is just a thought-dump from a frustrated and worn out fan. Take it for what it is.

The times, they are a changin'! There are many things that used to be exceptional but now they're just a shell of their former glory. They've been corrupted or dumbed down or they no longer strive for the same things. Entropy, she's a biotch!

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know this is going to get a lot of “well, just stop watching them” replies, but hear me out.

I’ve been a fan since I was 5, and haven’t missed a game in 15+ years. But the Cowboys just don’t bring me any joy anymore. I feel like they’re a redundant cycle of disappointment and I don’t see any evidence on the field that they’re going to change any time soon.

I vividly remember watching a game in 2002 against the Carolina Panthers. This was during the Quincy Carter years, and the offense was anemic. Well, they were down 13-0 until late in the game. They got super lucky and scored off a tipped pass, and Joey Galloway made it 13-7. Then, with a minute remaining, Carter found Antonio Bryant for the acrobatic, game winning score. After that touchdown, my 16 year old self went absolutely ballistic. I vividly remember running down my hallway, screaming about how miraculous that game was and I couldn’t wait to discuss it with my friends at school the next day.

Maybe I’m just jaded and overly cynical, but the Dallas Cowboys just don’t move me anymore. The regular season wins just don’t matter to me like they used to. The lack of playoff success has diminished my overall joy and excitement toward this team.

No matter what happens, I know that this team isn’t going to win when it matters. The last 27 years have conditioned me to that reality. And that sucks the joy out of it for me.

How do I find appreciation for the fun games again? How do I find the optimism? Am I alone in feeling this way?

This is just a thought-dump from a frustrated and worn out fan. Take it for what it is.

They're not even fun to watch esp our offense which is so basic and inept.
Boring football and rotten to the core from the owner to the imposter QB who has taken this team hostage with his contract.
Here's some advice ......Humor and laughter cause they are not worth any tears!

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They're not even fun to watch esp our offense which is so basic and inept.
Boring football and rotten to the core from the owner to the imposter QB who has taken this team hostage with his contract.
Here's some advice ......Humor and laughter cause they are not worth any tears!
I genuinely wish I could just stop watching and start playing more golf on Sundays! I might still get frustrated on the golf course, but at least I’d have fun lol

stiletto

Reaction score
I truly don’t know anymore either. The NFL has shifted their marketing to now call football “entertainment” instead of “a sport”. If it is at all predetermined, the league does a great job of keeping it under wraps and making sure none of the characters blow their cover. But at this point, nothing would surprise me

Yeah well if "we" come up missing, all the rest of ya'll better recognize....

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
What is really sad for me is games like this used to make me rant and rave, give me a headache, and I'd be upset into the day on Monday.

And here we are a couple hours later and I'm already over it. Maybe I'm just older and more calm, or maybe the expectation level for me has dropped so far it's pathetic.

superonyx

Reaction score

I don't know how old you are or were back in the Quincy Carter days or if you are old enough to remember the 92,93,95 superbowl teams. For me as I've gotten a few years older I have changed my entire perspective on what this is. I now have 3 sons who I now watch going through the emotions I used to deal with as a child. The reality is 31 fan bases will end their year with a terrible taste in their mouth. Only 1 each year will feel the joy of the ultimate success. I've seen the 13-3 team go out in 1 round. I've seen many wildcard teams catch fire at the right time and make a run. I've seen so many games where the refs has as much effect on the outcome as the players. I make a point to remember I am not them. I am not a member of the team. I have my own life and job and family/friends. This is only entertainment. No more no less. Honestly if the losses brought me more grief than the amount of excitements from the wins, it would be a sign I need to step back and evaluate.

My advice is to find that balance. The point where you can still care yet not have it feel like you personally lost something.

I am a loyal cowboys fan who cheered for the Eagles to win a superbowl a few years ago because I knew in my heart it would most likely be the last chance my father would get to watch his team win a superbowl. I'm glad they won it. I'm glad my father and father in law were able to experience that weird man high we get from watching a group of freak athlete millionaires we don't know achieve something special.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

i have been a die hard fan since 1971...51 years and jwooten i could not have said it any better than you.....this game "cured" me of fanaticism of cowboys....we had solid run game without Zeke and

had we even done what we did last game and put 3 TE's out there to either catch or block ( mostly block ) we would not have lost game....i am asking when ahead in 4th QTR 28-14 how can you have

a top 10 or better defense and lose the game??????.....that is on the DC as it is on OC for poor scheme adjustment...just heard Mike Fisher go over the 60 year history of cowboys....they have been

ahead by 14 or more in 4th QTR 190 times and were 190-0...until 11-13-2022....that is coach leadership ....we could have played dime and had safeties over the top and safeties to be in the box and

hold the edge and we got the fatties for middle and play em...i am probably way wrong and stupid just offering one view....how do you down 7-0 come back to 28-14 in 4th QTR and lose????....it is scheme

and scheme led by OC and DC...if i am dead wrong ....dont mind you telling me i dont care if i am wrong but how to Lions shut down Packers and we cant?????

Darkhound

Reaction score
I hit my limit a few years ago.... this team sucks this whole organization sucks

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Lol y’all never disappoint ! It’s possible we go in next week and beat minny

it’s hard to win in this league and it’s a week to week league

how many of you had them winning todays game with early predictions ? Probably not many yet a lot of you buried the packers recently

every week is different except our run defense that’s the same

BAD

starfan----but it is how you lose...up 28-14 in 4th QTR and Lose??????.....that is DC and OC maladustment

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
i have been a die hard fan since 1971...51 years and jwooten i could not have said it any better than you.....this game "cured" me of fanaticism of cowboys....we had solid run game without Zeke and

had we even done what we did last game and put 3 TE's out there to either catch or block ( mostly block ) we would not have lost game....i am asking when ahead in 4th QTR 28-14 how can you have

a top 10 or better defense and lose the game??????.....that is on the DC as it is on OC for poor scheme adjustment...just heard Mike Fisher go over the 60 year history of cowboys....they have been

ahead by 14 or more in 4th QTR 190 times and were 190-0...until 11-13-2022....that is coach leadership ....we could have played dime and had safeties over the top and safeties to be in the box and

hold the edge and we got the fatties for middle and play em...i am probably way wrong and stupid just offering one view....how do you down 7-0 come back to 28-14 in 4th QTR and lose????....it is scheme

and scheme led by OC and DC...if i am dead wrong ....dont mind you telling me i dont care if i am wrong but how to Lions shut down Packers and we cant?????

the Cowboys are always reliable to be spectacularly disappointing. You’re right, there’s no way they should have lost this game.

I’m jealous that you got to witness the glory years first-hand. What a ride it must have been!

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Right there with you. The campo years were better than this because I had hope for better things in the future. I have no hope.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I get it.

I’ve been a fan since ‘71. Been through it all.

I know what I see. Just like you.

This franchise is tainted. At many levels. And I can’t believe I just witnessed another loss to Rodgers and GB. Just another loss in a big game when the bright lights are on.

I get it.

I’m glad I witnessed the real Cowboy teams. Just don’t think it will happen again in my lifetime.

pit33---me2 since Jan 1971 super bowl 5 and how we loss that star on helmet grabbed me they were my only heros growing up......i am deeply ashamed how they lost today...no excuses

it was utterly shameful

ICP

Reaction score
You are not alone. Kind of difficult when you really have no confidence that either the players or the front office can get things done

black label

Reaction score
2NO.gif

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Lol y’all never disappoint ! It’s possible we go in next week and beat minny

it’s hard to win in this league and it’s a week to week league

how many of you had them winning todays game with early predictions ? Probably not many yet a lot of you buried the packers recently

every week is different except our run defense that’s the same

BAD

i put an OCTO_PLAT gurantee we win....you will never see another plat from me no matter what...Admin i asked and demanded if i get weak and put one up to ban me for life

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
I'm not as fired up as some folks because I'm no longer stunned when games like today happen. I don't get too high or too low. I just hope for the best.

Couldn't have said it any better. I'm pushing 40, and while I never miss a game. Don't get me wrong I get excited when we have a great win, I get disappointed when we have a loss like today. But I've become kind of numb to it.

Even when we have a big win. Or make the playoffs so what? the standard for this franchise shouldn't just be making the playoffs. It should be winning championships. Thats what it used to be. So anything less than an NFC title game isn't going to get this fanbase excited. Until then it more of the same.

pitt33

Reaction score
pit33---me2 since Jan 1971 super bowl 5 and how we loss that star on helmet grabbed me they were my only heros growing up......i am deeply ashamed how they lost today...no excuses

it was utterly shameful
G-man…that was the game that started it all for me.

Peace my friend

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Right there with you. The campo years were better than this because I had hope for better things in the future. I have no hope.[/QUOTE

Chronic-cowboy---i will have chronic death illness before i am ever a chronic cowboy again...been die hard fan since Jan 1971

pitt33

Reaction score
What is really sad for me is games like this used to make me rant and rave, give me a headache, and I'd be upset into the day on Monday.

And here we are a couple hours later and I'm already over it. Maybe I'm just older and more calm, or maybe the expectation level for me has dropped so far it's pathetic.
It’s the later.

You know what the inevitable outcome will be.