CFZ The Cowboys Bring Me No Joy Anymore

TheFinisher

Reaction score
You have that feeling because the franchise is soft. They get punched in the mouth and fold like a cheap chair. That has been the blueprint on the cowboys for 2 decades now… they have no real fight in them, just a bunch of prima donnas looking to promote their individual brand so starry eyed Jerry will open up the checkbook when it’s contract time.

You feel apathy towards them because deep down you know when a team brings them into a back alley fight they’ll just cower and quit. I don’t know if it’s the dynamic with Jerry Jones running the show, but Dallas is known around the league as a team you can big boy, push around and bully. Been that way for years, bunch of fake bravado.

Dez Bryant had it early in his career and you see it with Parsons too, but give it time… Dallas is where dogs turn to cats.

Last edited:

Soth

Reaction score
I feel the same. I used to go to bars to watch the game if they did not show it locally. I just skip those games now. I watched every game during the Campo years even if we sucked. But these days the motivation is not there.

Partially it is the lack of success but also the terrible refs. We have been robbed so many times that I basically expect it to happen every game. The referees are a joke in the NFL.

ghst187

Reaction score
It’s not just our Cowboys but the entire game is unwatchable and sucked of life now because the officiating is so consistently bad and/or suspicious….
I said before this game that the league wouldn’t want GB eliminated from playoff contention this early in the season and there’d probably be some nonsense to keep them in it…
Feels like Vince McMahon is scripting the nfl too

cowboynut

Reaction score
I know this is going to get a lot of “well, just stop watching them” replies, but hear me out.

I’ve been a fan since I was 5, and haven’t missed a game in 15+ years. But the Cowboys just don’t bring me any joy anymore. I feel like they’re a redundant cycle of disappointment and I don’t see any evidence on the field that they’re going to change any time soon.

I vividly remember watching a game in 2002 against the Carolina Panthers. This was during the Quincy Carter years, and the offense was anemic. Well, they were down 13-0 until late in the game. They got super lucky and scored off a tipped pass, and Joey Galloway made it 13-7. Then, with a minute remaining, Carter found Antonio Bryant for the acrobatic, game winning score. After that touchdown, my 16 year old self went absolutely ballistic. I vividly remember running down my hallway, screaming about how miraculous that game was and I couldn’t wait to discuss it with my friends at school the next day.

That 2002 team finished 5-11, but I loved watching every second of every game.

Maybe I’m just jaded and overly cynical, but the Dallas Cowboys just don’t move me anymore. The regular season wins just don’t matter to me like they used to. The lack of playoff success has diminished my overall joy and excitement toward this team.

No matter what happens, I know that this team isn’t going to win when it matters. The last 27 years have conditioned me to that reality. And that sucks the joy out of it for me.

How do I find appreciation for the fun games again? How do I find the optimism? Am I alone in feeling this way?

This is just a thought-dump from a frustrated and worn out fan. Take it for what it is.
I had to login to reply. I’ve been a fan since the same age of 5. I’m 53. I feel the exact same. I was obsessed with every game for years. Couldn’t sleep or function for days after a loss. Now I expect this exact way of life. It really is a disgrace what JJ has done with this franchise. Fired the coach after back to back Super Bowls. Enough said!

75boyz

Reaction score
You have that feeling because the franchise is soft. They get punched in the mouth and fold like a cheap chair. That has been the blueprint on the cowboys for 2 decades now… they have no real fight in them, just a bunch of prima donnas looking to promote their individual brand so starry eyed Jerry will open up the checkbook when it’s contract time.

You feel apathy towards them because deep down you know when a team brings them into a back alley fight they’ll just cower and quit. I don’t know if it’s the dynamic with Jerry Jones running the show, but Dallas is known around the league as a team you can big boy, push around and bully. Been that way for years, bunch of fake bravado.

Dez Bryant had it early in his career and you see it with Parsons too, but give it time… Dallas is where dogs turn to cats.

Nice post. And appropriate av "The Finisher".

kwcool619

Reaction score
Fan since 1975 here.

I am happy that I saw the Staubach teams and the Jimmy Johnson teams. Those teams had the championship mentality. Mental toughness. Discipline. Accountability. And how opposing teams collectively wet in their pants when we walked on the field--LOL
I will still watch the games. But the joy and feeling is not the same. Living in Los Angeles, we get the Rams (got beat down by the Cardinals--only saw the end of the GB vs DAL game--Additional coverage), the Chargers, and at times, the Raiders. It softens the blow a bit.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I know this is going to get a lot of “well, just stop watching them” replies, but hear me out.

I’ve been a fan since I was 5, and haven’t missed a game in 15+ years. But the Cowboys just don’t bring me any joy anymore. I feel like they’re a redundant cycle of disappointment and I don’t see any evidence on the field that they’re going to change any time soon.

I vividly remember watching a game in 2002 against the Carolina Panthers. This was during the Quincy Carter years, and the offense was anemic. Well, they were down 13-0 until late in the game. They got super lucky and scored off a tipped pass, and Joey Galloway made it 13-7. Then, with a minute remaining, Carter found Antonio Bryant for the acrobatic, game winning score. After that touchdown, my 16 year old self went absolutely ballistic. I vividly remember running down my hallway, screaming about how miraculous that game was and I couldn’t wait to discuss it with my friends at school the next day.

Maybe I’m just jaded and overly cynical, but the Dallas Cowboys just don’t move me anymore. The regular season wins just don’t matter to me like they used to. The lack of playoff success has diminished my overall joy and excitement toward this team.

No matter what happens, I know that this team isn’t going to win when it matters. The last 27 years have conditioned me to that reality. And that sucks the joy out of it for me.

How do I find appreciation for the fun games again? How do I find the optimism? Am I alone in feeling this way?

This is just a thought-dump from a frustrated and worn out fan. Take it for what it is.
Go be a fan of another team. Chiefs fans are accepting resumes.

cowboynut

Reaction score
I get it.

I’ve been a fan since ‘71. Been through it all.

I know what I see. Just like you.

This franchise is tainted. At many levels. And I can’t believe I just witnessed another loss to Rodgers and GB. Just another loss in a big game when the bright lights are on.

I get it.

I’m glad I witnessed the real Cowboy teams. Just don’t think it will happen again in my lifetime.

Fan since 74. Feel the exact same way

tunahelper

Reaction score
I get it.

I’ve been a fan since ‘71. Been through it all.

I know what I see. Just like you.

This franchise is tainted. At many levels. And I can’t believe I just witnessed another loss to Rodgers and GB. Just another loss in a big game when the bright lights are on.

I get it.

I’m glad I witnessed the real Cowboy teams. Just don’t think it will happen again in my lifetime.
The aurora of greatness no longer rests over this franchise. Even the star seems to be dull on the helmets. Every facet of the team is hype and no substance. The constant wanna be references to the old champions is further proof they are frauds. Dak wearing a fedora like Landry. Big dummy MM acting like he is Lombardi. Current players wearing ex players numbers. The road to the next title is not going to be easy and it should not be for this assembly of posers.

dreameaglegreen

Reaction score

As an eagles phan i know the feeling. I wanted a superbowl in the worst way, knowing every other team in the east had 1. Had I gotten the superbowl when I asked for it, I never would have been able to share it with my kids. Sometimes it's worth the wait. Remember you are not as bad as your worst loss, and not as good as your best win. Hope that helps.

CB0711

Reaction score
I had to go to a family event out of town today and missed the game. I was actually kind of happy because I had a bad feeling it was going to be a hand wringer kind of game. Glad I missed it.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
yup you summed it up perfectly

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I have loved football since 3rd grade. Dallas was my favorite team but I love the sport first & foremost. So, I can watch other teams and enjoy really good play. It still took me more years than you have been watching to find a way not to be crushed by losses. So, take it for what its worth.

ksadler1

Reaction score
I stopped watching today's game as soon as the D gave up the long TD on 4th down. I knew exactly how this game would end at that point. This D is highly overrated and Dak is a JAG. As long as Jerry and Son run this team, nobody will be held accountable, especially players.

Today was almost, ALMOST as bad as being a Bills fan. But not quite...

TX_Yid

Reaction score

I was at that game. Great ending

Zman5

Reaction score
Not trying to be a bungholio but if you only get joy from watching your favorite sports team when they win, then I recommend you get another hobby.

Of course, as a fan, I want my team to win and get more joy out of watching the games when they win but I love football and sports in general. And I get great joy just watching my favorite teams play and compete. Period. Win or lose.