The Cowboys Fandom - A New Low?

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You missed 1988.

They had blackout games in the eighties. If games don't sell out, the game is not shown on local TV (i.e. a blackout). The last time that happened was in 1990.
Ha I remember driving to Waco to watch the home games in the 80's..lol..Not sure I would do that for this team, I think it's lack of hope at this point until things change significantly.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I've been watching the Cowboys since the early 90s, and while I definitely remember a few rough years, I can't remember a time when I've seen the Cowboys fan base this down and out on the team collectively. Nobody is rooting for this team anymore. Everywhere I go it is very clear. On this forum board (well you see it for yourself), on Facebook (the SNF post for example all I've seen is all the Cowboys fans rooting for a blow out), and in person when I run into other fans (they're over it). It's crazy to me but I understand it, because, well I am there also. I love this team to death but Garrett has stripped me of any passion I had left for this season. As long as he is the captain of this sinking ship anyway. I hate it. This isn't how it is supposed to be. I used to get super stoked to watch our Boys in Sunday Night football games, yet, here I am feeling very 'meh' about it. I've read this book before.

With all that said, I feel like whether Jerry likes it or not, this has to force his hand to let go of Garrett..........right? RIGHT!??!

And I know the narrative of this story. Jerry will most likely bring in another "yes man" coach. Whatever. At this point I need a new ray of hope. I think we all do.

It doesn't take an Einstein to figure this out. Many "fans" today are millennials and like 99.99% of millennials they don't accept anything but instant gradification. In layman's terms they're spoiled. One of the best examples of the opposite of millennial fans are the generation after generation after generation that waited over a HUNDRED years for the Cubs to win the world series. Over those years the Cubs had one of the largest fan bases in MLB. That huge fan base started to dwindle when the millennials came around with needing instant gradificaion and acting all spoiled. This in large part is because they grew up with the internet and being able to find or get whatever they wanted in seconds and haven't had to wait for things so that has carried over into the method of being a "fan". The millennials need to stop thinking everyone owes them everything. Whatever the reason is that the Cowboys haven't won or gone to a Super Bowl since Super Bowl XXX there are teams that have never been to a Super Bowl and some that have made it but never won a Super Bowl. I've been a Cowboys fan since the very first day they entered the league and since that day I've wished they would have won a championship (it was before Super Bowls) every year. They've had some lean years and some great years but even through the lean years I've still been a Cowboys fan.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Fan since mid 1970s. After Commanders lose, I vowed not to watch any more games until Garrett was fired. I still root for the team and players, but am not going to aggravate myself by watching this piss-poor coached product play.

If it's true that you are now not going to watch games then you just proved hat you're just a fair weather fan or casual fan. Real hard core fans support and WATCH their team even when things aren't going well. That's fine if you stopped watch, just don't imply that you are a real fan.

jgboys1

Reaction score
This is probably the lowest it’s ever been for me too. I feel that as long as Jerry Jones is calling the shots, we have no hope.
I’ll start watching tonight’s game, but I fully expect to get blown out. I always had the, “at least we will have a good draft pick”, but now we don’t even have that.
Thanks Jerry!
We desperately need a QB and O-line help. A whole new coaching staff an GM would be nice too.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I agree....worst I can remember....im personally starting to just not care at all and I've been rapid since early 90s....

Just sick of it, sick of the losses and frustration, sick of wasting time and emotional energy...just fed up

How about a little history lesson for you. Their first season zero wins, first 6 seasons no more than 7 wins. The saint that Tom Landry is he did have some bad years with only 4th and 5th place finishes in the division and this was after being spoiled by a still NFL record of 20 consecutive winning seasons. Now in one aspect it was easier back then because there was no salary cap to have to worry about nor did he have to worry about star players signing as free agents with other teams. Back then even after contracts were up the team still had the players sole rights to negotiate a new contract and a players options were either resign with the same club or sit out for a year so he could sign with another team but the good old boys club back then wouldn't go after players if they sat out and the players knew this. The only way to go to another team was if the team cut you or traded you. If he got cut he had to clear waivers before negotiating a contract with another team but some team always claim the players off waivers. Landry's last few years he didn't have a winning team and his last season only had 3 wins. Then there was the 1 - 15 first year of the Jones era in 1989. Now I've seen all of this and I'm just as big of a fan today as I've was that very first day but then I'm not a millennial that has to have instant gratification or start whining about it.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
It would be poetic justice. I've never been a fan of the guy, and, in my opinion, he undermined Wade Phillips before ultimately being gifted that head coaching position. Garrett's offense made just as many mistakes as Phillips defense did, but it was Wade alone that paid the price.

Garrett was able to "fail upwards" based on an ill-conceived picture in Jerry Jones head. Jones has always put more stock into what Jason Garrett says than anything Jason Garrett actually does. Some people can talk a good game but can't actually do anything. That's who Garrett is, and his empty talk has finally reached its end.

And just how could the OC undermine a defensive minded head coach who's defense was no longer producing and giving up 4th quarter leads weekly.? A defense that every year was in the top 5 but had slid down to the 19th ranked defense in one year without losing any starters to injury.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Jipper

Reaction score
How about a little history lesson for you. Their first season zero wins, first 6 seasons no more than 7 wins. The saint that Tom Landry is he did have some bad years with only 4th and 5th place finishes in the division and this was after being spoiled by a still NFL record of 20 consecutive winning seasons. Now in one aspect it was easier back then because there was no salary cap to have to worry about nor did he have to worry about star players signing as free agents with other teams. Back then even after contracts were up the team still had the players sole rights to negotiate a new contract and a players options were either resign with the same club or sit out for a year so he could sign with another team but the good old boys club back then wouldn't go after players if they sat out and the players knew this. The only way to go to another team was if the team cut you or traded you. If he got cut he had to clear waivers before negotiating a contract with another team but some team always claim the players off waivers. Landry's last few years he didn't have a winning team and his last season only had 3 wins. Then there was the 1 - 15 first year of the Jones era in 1989. Now I've seen all of this and I'm just as big of a fan today as I've was that very first day but then I'm not a millennial that has to have instant gratification or start whining about it.

a bit condescending on the post there but ill play along with you old man...i happen to be 36 so am considered borderline for millennial vs gen y and have lived with the team as a fan for ~30 years that I can remember. From my perspective, this is the least amount of hope that we have had in quite some time for what i would call the "near future"....not having a 1st round pick next year, having major question marks around key players (lee, frederick), no definitive franchise qb, and a completely incompetent HC and coaching staff that looks to potentially not be dismissed all have to be weighed.

this has absolutely zero to do with millennials wanting "instant gratification"....and everything to do with wanting to see this organization make the changes that put it on a trajectory for future success. If JG was let go, which he might not be, and we still had our 1st round pick, then im ok with us losing the rest of the season because there is hope that with the change and infusion of new coaches and players we could have something to build on next year....but staring down the barrel of mediocrity with little hope for change due to a very stubborn, though good intentioned, ownership is extremely frustrating and has given me, and many others this same outlook.

Sully

Reaction score
I've been watching the Cowboys since the early 90s, and while I definitely remember a few rough years, I can't remember a time when I've seen the Cowboys fan base this down and out on the team collectively. Nobody is rooting for this team anymore. Everywhere I go it is very clear. On this forum board (well you see it for yourself), on Facebook (the SNF post for example all I've seen is all the Cowboys fans rooting for a blow out), and in person when I run into other fans (they're over it). It's crazy to me but I understand it, because, well I am there also. I love this team to death but Garrett has stripped me of any passion I had left for this season. As long as he is the captain of this sinking ship anyway. I hate it. This isn't how it is supposed to be. I used to get super stoked to watch our Boys in Sunday Night football games, yet, here I am feeling very 'meh' about it. I've read this book before.

With all that said, I feel like whether Jerry likes it or not, this has to force his hand to let go of Garrett..........right? RIGHT!??!

And I know the narrative of this story. Jerry will most likely bring in another "yes man" coach. Whatever. At this point I need a new ray of hope. I think we all do.

To the reply of this has to force his hand to fire Garrett:

I say No because OFF-THE-FIELD, Jerry is winning the Superbowl each season. According to Forbes Magazine, the Dallas Cowboys are the richest franchise in all of sports. I say how? With only 2 playoff wins since 1995, that is amazing. The entertainment value is making Jerry beyond wealthy and Jerry takes all the credit for that, so why would he even believe he needs to step aside as GM. Now, ON-THE-FIELD, this franchise has been AT BEST ---MEDIOCRE. Jerry keeps trying to make everyone believe HE can win a Superbowl w/o Jimmy Johnson and he will go to the grave(meet Al Davis) to do so.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You article still doesn't explain why YOU think Garrett undermined Phillips.

Because I don't think that playcall before halftime was simply the result of incompetence. I believe that Garrett did a poor job on purpose, because he knew that he'd be gifted the job once Wade was gone. Hell, he nearly got it before they hired Wade, that's how dysfunctional things were, and continue to be.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To the reply of this has to force his hand to fire Garrett:

I say No because OFF-THE-FIELD, Jerry is winning the Superbowl each season. According to Forbes Magazine, the Dallas Cowboys are the richest franchise in all of sports. I say how? With only 2 playoff wins since 1995, that is amazing. The entertainment value is making Jerry beyond wealthy and Jerry takes all the credit for that, so why would he even believe he needs to step aside as GM. Now, ON-THE-FIELD, this franchise has been AT BEST ---MEDIOCRE. Jerry keeps trying to make everyone believe HE can win a Superbowl w/o Jimmy Johnson and he will go to the grave(meet Al Davis) to do so.

The lead story on the Fox NFL broadcast was about the dysfunction of the Dallas Cowboys and Jerry Jones specifically. Making money is great, but it's not nearly as fun when you're a laughingstock and can't show your face in public without ridicule. It's reached that point for Jones, and that's why Garrett will be fired. He's turned Jerry's team into a joke.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
a bit condescending on the post there but ill play along with you old man...i happen to be 36 so am considered borderline for millennial vs gen y and have lived with the team as a fan for ~30 years that I can remember. From my perspective, this is the least amount of hope that we have had in quite some time for what i would call the "near future"....not having a 1st round pick next year, having major question marks around key players (lee, frederick), no definitive franchise qb, and a completely incompetent HC and coaching staff that looks to potentially not be dismissed all have to be weighed.

this has absolutely zero to do with millennials wanting "instant gratification"....and everything to do with wanting to see this organization make the changes that put it on a trajectory for future success. If JG was let go, which he might not be, and we still had our 1st round pick, then im ok with us losing the rest of the season because there is hope that with the change and infusion of new coaches and players we could have something to build on next year....but staring down the barrel of mediocrity with little hope for change due to a very stubborn, though good intentioned, ownership is extremely frustrating and has given me, and many others this same outlook.

First off the Cowboys are not the first team to go into a draft without a 1st round pick, not even the 1st time for the Cowboys. There have been many All Pros and HOFer's who were drafted after the 1st round. Having that 1st rounder would be nice but to categorically write off the entire draft because of not having that 1s round pick is what a child would say. Like so many that have thrown in the towel on Prescott lets look at some actual facts. His rookie year he had a great O-line that helped in several ways. First he was able to go through his reads and second open holes for Elliott to gain enough yards to lead the league in rushing and coming close to setting a new rushing record. Last season there was a 40% change in that line and this season there's a 60% change in that line. Prescott no longer can go through his reads, most of the time he has enough time to look at a single receiver and then either is sacked or has to try to run. He already has more sacks this season than he did all of his rookie year. Last season when he did have a "#1" receiver Bryant lead the league in drops and was only 1 drop short of leading the league in 2016. Even the sure handed Beasley had more drops last season than the previous 2 seasons combines. Yet those that are calling for a different QB don't see or understand those facts. Do the Cowboys need help on the O-line - you betcha. Just like every year on many/most teams a single draft isn't going to cure all problems and to think it would even with that 1st round pick is unrealistic but when they do get some help there and the line play improves to where Prescott has some time and they open holes for Elliott to be Elliott then if Prescott still doesn't play well than it will be time to look at another QB. Lastly I don't say Garrett hasn't made mistakes, he has, just like every had coach has. I often see references to bellacheat and most of those who do don't know or refuse to acknowledge that he did far worse than Garrett in his 1st head coaching job and are trying to compare a coach with 45 years coaching experience to Garrett. Has Garrett had a 1st round pick taken from the Cowboys by the league - no but bellacheat has cost the patriots a 1st round pick. No coach is perfect, not even St. Tom Landry. Do I wish the Cowboys win the Super Bowl every year and set an unbreakable record for the most consecutive Super Bowl win ever - heck yes!!! Have I or will I stop being a Cowboys fan, stop watching their games, stop hoping for wins - HECK NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Because I don't think that playcall before halftime was simply the result of incompetence. I believe that Garrett did a poor job on purpose, because he knew that he'd be gifted the job once Wade was gone. Hell, he nearly got it before they hired Wade, that's how dysfunctional things were, and continue to be.

And I'll bet you think there was another gunman in the grassy knoll too. What other conspiracy theories do you believe in. Do you also believe in the one where NASA has been hiding proof that there are aliens from other worlds living here on earth. People that believe in conspiracy theories do even though there is no proof they exist. You fail to explain how or why that Phillips defense gave up 4th quarter leads week after week even though according to you Garrett wasn't trying to get the offense to score.

Mannix

Reaction score
This is the FIRST year that you've been able to openly root for losses without getting ripped by over 1/2 of the posters....everybody has had enough.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And I'll bet you think there was another gunman in the grassy knoll too. What other conspiracy theories do you believe in. Do you also believe in the one where NASA has been hiding proof that there are aliens from other worlds living here on earth. People that believe in conspiracy theories do even though there is no proof they exist. You fail to explain how or why that Phillips defense gave up 4th quarter leads week after week even though according to you Garrett wasn't trying to get the offense to score.

Pal, I couldn't give two **** what you believe. Have your tissues ready when your hero is finally fired after the season.

tenor.gif

Number1

Reaction score

your post proves the bi-line