The Cowboys have become increasingly toxic

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I had a very vivid dream last week , this is the first time I have mentioned it to anybody.The dream was Jimmy Johnson was hired to be GM of the Dallas Cowboys.But I must admit for the last 20 years I have wanted coach Johnson to run this team.Dallas needs a great football mind in charge,but we all know it.
This the problem with the Cowboys is the FO period FULL STOP...you can change the names of everyone on the sideline as has been done MULTIPLE times..if the Jones dont step back from football operations and let real football folks handle it..things will not change.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
This the problem with the Cowboys is the FO period FULL STOP...you can change the names of everyone on the sideline as has been done MULTIPLE times..if the Jones dont step back from football operations and let real football folks handle it..things will not change.
Totally agree with you.

bud914

Reaction score
No, it is not the team that is toxic.
It is the fans reacting to everything and anything. That is toxic.

Yes fans need to react, as we know, lack of playoff success. Sitting out FA though much to the fans angst.
Has anyone really thought the team could be worse off, and even worse salary cap hell. If they ran the team instead of Jerry.

I ask that because fans want to sign every big name FA to improve the team. Of course that is imposs, except for on here. However, the same fans then say stop paying huge contracts. Go with all draft picks.

Does anyone see the irony and hypocrisy on this? Probable not because they do not want to.
I do not blame fans for their anger. I don’t like the situation either. I guess I just do not want to waste my time complaining about all of it, as we can’t do a thing about it.

You stay a fan or you don’t. Or you vent Or do nothing but read others venting. :laugh:
the worst part is the "so called fans" who want us to lose every game...whether it's because of dak or JJ...how a fan can root for their team to lose is beyond my comprehension...

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
the worst part is the "so called fans" who want us to lose every game...whether it's because of dak or JJ...how a fan can root for their team to lose is beyond my comprehension...
look im not going to enjoy them losing but what else will bring change to this FO? do you truly believe we can win a SB with the current structure of this FO and how they do business?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Cowboys lack of activity in free agency is having a toxic affect on the fan base. I haven’t seen this much displeasure in the team since the loss to Green Bay. The frustration is boiling over.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
The Cowboys lack of activity in free agency is having a toxic affect on the fan base. I haven’t seen this much displeasure in the team since the loss to Green Bay.
i think 28 years of same same is starting to get to fans..as it should.

bud914

Reaction score
look im not going to enjoy them losing but what else will bring change to this FO? do you truly believe we can win a SB with the current structure of this FO and how they do business?
nothing is going to bring change to FO so rooting against the team makes little sense IMO...hopefully they will get it right at some point...i get ticked off also and get frustrated but never never hope they lose...

75boyz

Reaction score
Tbf, I was starting our during the 5-11 days, but was it this toxic during that time?
Yeah, for me they're strangely linked and similar.
During Campo our floor and ceiling levels of expectation were definitely tainted and rightly so after enduring that 3 year stretch with him. Everyone kinda knew we weren't going "anywhere" with him in charge.

But for some strange reason this McFraud era feels eerily similar in that everyone knows we aren't going "any farther" with McFraud at the helm. Different but the same.

At least in my opinion.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay, I'm just going to say this. Things surrounding the Cowboys have become increasingly toxic of late.

Look at the drama with Dak's current situation. Families of players launching into tirades. Former players attacking current players. Fans irate at Jerry (understandably). Jerry showing a complete disregard for fans by saying he's going to do one thing and doing the exact opposite. I could go on. Ever since the loss against Green Bay, it's like a nuclear cloud of hyper toxic radiation was dropped on the DFW area. Is this what Jerry wants? Is this what he sees as good business? Is this how he and Stephen think they'll be able to maintain business?

Sure, there are lots of fans still nowadays. However, I (who currently live in Cleveland) sense that I'm among the last generation of Cowboys fans. Someday, Jerry or Stephen are going to wake up and there will be no more Cowboys fans. We will be the most irrelevant team in the NFL, and it takes generations to rebuild fans. Sure, the Joneses have more money than anyone in 5 generations could spend. Yet, what's the point? What's the end game? Do they sell the team? Do they fold it? Cuz this toxic tornado surrounding the Cowboys isn't fun. It can't be fun for the players or coaches. It's certainly not fun for us fans. This sport is supposed to be entertaining. Yet, how can this level of toxicity be fun or entertaining?

All I can think of is that maybe it's time for the entire team to just implode and be burned to the ground so something new can be built on top of it. I think it may be time for anybody with trade value to be traded now. Let the next few seasons really be terrible, but acquire as many draft picks as we can (circa 1989-1991) to try to build some semblance of a champion. Get a team that can play physically. Maybe, just maybe, if this team can show genuine signs of being able to legitimately compete, the toxic tornado can start to dissipate. I hope somehow, things can start to become less toxic and become more fun.
Toxic to you and some, not to me and some others. It wasn't expected that we would sign big named FAs....I heard it here for weeks, and now everyone is pissed off. This place has become toxic, but I know most are just frustrated fans that are blowing off steam, but a few are stoking the flames and enjoying every minute of it. We know who they are, the ones that came out of hiding when we lost to GB.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Tbf, I was starting our during the 5-11 days, but was it this toxic during that time?
During Campo our floor and ceiling levels of expectation were definitely tainted and rightly so after enduring that 3 year stretch with him. Everyone kinda knew we weren't going "anywhere" with him in charge.

But for some strange reason this McFraud era feels eerily similar in that everyone knows we aren't going "any farther" with McFraud at the helm. Different but the same.

At least in my opinion.
No. The fans weren’t as angry and discontented if that‘s what you mean by toxic. Think of this message board and the people who still support the Jones through it all. If this board was around back then, there would’ve been a lot more people on that bandwagon. He hadn’t lost so many fans yet. Definitely not getting booed at the games yet, or at least I don’t remember that.

But what he did do was ‘read the room‘ right back then — Parcells. He knew the fans were frustrated, but most importantly he knew he wasn’t going to get his stadium funding which the fans had to vote for so not to pull in the old cliché, but as usual, the money moves all with the Jones Boys.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

At least in my opinion.
I think it was much less time back then between wins, then it was "Replace the coach" and we still had hope..I think now its really sinking in that we have a problem that can not be solved because he owns the team and even when he leaves he is leaving us with his son to run things...thats a hard reality for a fan base and its sinking in on year 28...

Staubacher

Reaction score
Maybe it's beyond your comprehension but if people believe it would be in the long term interest for the team to have a bad season that does not make them bad fans

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I think it was much less time back then between wins, then it was "Replace the coach" and we still had hope..I think now its really sinking in that we have a problem that can not be solved because he owns the team and even when he leaves he is leaving us with his son to run things...thats a hard reality for a fan base and its sinking in on year 28...
Yeah, that’s a good way to put it. I mean, there will be those people who hang on forever no matter what kind of logic you try to give them, but I think most of us are realizing where the problem starts. Always joking about it but seriously, we are the Raiders and Al Davis Part II. But even old Al lucked out near the end and at least got to be spanked in one last Super Bowl. He was smart enough to change his MO, brought in one of the youngest hungriest coaches in the league, got away from Raiders family mentality.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
This is my least favorite time of the year for the Cowboys. I care nothing about how the sausage is made. The only thing worse is those who do and insist on sharing their thoughts on the topic as if it matters. They are so emotionally invested, it's sickening. You have no say in the Cowboys' offseason activity so let it go. And no, they are not toxic.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
i think 28 years of same same is starting to get to fans..as it should.
Had the team signed one big name free agent we wouldn’t be seeing half the ranting we’ve been seeing the past couple of days. The fan base is completely demoralized.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Had the team signed one big name free agent we wouldn’t be seeing half the ranting we’ve been seeing the past couple of days. The fan base is completely demoralized.
sure for some but some of us are just tired of finding reasons to believe Jerry and son will ever change..Im a Cowboys fan so there is no off ramp, but man groundhog day is getting old for sure. I'll find joy as the season gets clsoer but there is no denying the Jones are chipping away at the fandom of alot of us.

morat1959

Reaction score
No, it is not the team that is toxic.
It is the fans reacting to everything and anything. That is toxic.

Yes fans need to react, as we know, lack of playoff success. Sitting out FA though much to the fans angst.
Has anyone really thought the team could be worse off, and even worse salary cap hell. If they ran the team instead of Jerry.

I ask that because fans want to sign every big name FA to improve the team. Of course that is imposs, except for on here. However, the same fans then say stop paying huge contracts. Go with all draft picks.

Does anyone see the irony and hypocrisy on this? Probable not because they do not want to.
I do not blame fans for their anger. I don’t like the situation either. I guess I just do not want to waste my time complaining about all of it, as we can’t do a thing about it.

You stay a fan or you don’t. Or you vent Or do nothing but read others venting. :laugh:
You’re getting close. 0-17 all the way baby!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
sure for some but some of us are just tired of finding reasons to believe Jerry and son will ever change..Im a Cowboys fan so there is no off ramp, but man groundhog day is getting old for sure. I'll find joy as the season gets clsoer but there is no denying the Jones are chipping away at the fandom of alot of us.
We could be looking at a rough 2024 season. The Cowboys are clearly a worse team now than they were when free agency started. We’ve lost a couple of starters and a solid contributor in Armstrong who put up 14 sacks the past 2 seasons. We have nothing at RB and from what I’ve been hearing this years RB draft class looks weak. With the big contracts we have coming up we’re banking on the draft. We got virtually nothing out of last years draft class this past season. If we have a repeat this year, a down season is a real possibility, especially with another tough schedule. The Joneses have done nothing so far to excite the fanbase. Bringing back McCarthy and adding Mike Zimmer certainly hasn’t fired up the fan base.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I agree, they should have gone all in last year. Now it's too late.
Problem number five or six with this organization is situations like a guy like McClay saying something like ‘we need better depth at _____, or a better starter at ____ ….’

Then the kid chimes in and says it’s too expensive.

The opinion by committee is not an asset, it’s a detriment. Succeed or fail, it needs to be one persons vision, not one guy gets his way this time, and another one gets his way the next time….etc.