The Cowboys QBs of 2000-2006

USArmyVet

Reaction score
And now, the Cowboys QBs of 2000-2006, brought to you by Furboy

AdorableWhichGallinule-max-14mb.gif

Troy Aikman, Randall Cunningham, Anthony Wright, Clint Storner. Ryan Leaf's moral compass was not in one piece, Quincy Carter's mind was gone, there's Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson, and Vinny watch the birdie Testaverde, Drew Bledsoe, and Tony Romo *falls*

Point of this hopefully humourous post in the tune and parody of Yakko's World will help you all understand why we need to keep Dak. In case you forgot about those horrendous years, we went through a bad stretch between when Aikman couldn't play anymore until we lucked into Romo. For those that think that simply replacing a franchise QB with the leadership intangibles that Dak has, remember those years. For 5 and a half years, we didn't have a franchise QB. The only reason we had one was because Sean Payton managed to steal Romo away from the Broncos as a UDFA, and somehow, he didn't take Romo to New Orleans with him when he left for there. Oh, and then Parcells started to use him more. If not for all of that, I suspect we probably would still be looking for a franchise QB. Idk about you, but I would hate to return to THOSE years of searching for a franchise QB. Those years were an awful introduction to being a Cowboys fan for me as all I knew for my first few years as a fan was 5-11.

Oh my God the Dak love never ceases to amaze me in the least.

Brax

Reaction score

Troy Aikman, Randall Cunningham, Anthony Wright, Clint Storner. Ryan Leaf's moral compass was not in one piece, Quincy Carter's mind was gone, there's Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson, and Vinny watch the birdie Testaverde, Drew Bledsoe, and Tony Romo *falls*

Point of this hopefully humourous post in the tune and parody of Yakko's World will help you all understand why we need to keep Dak. In case you forgot about those horrendous years, we went through a bad stretch between when Aikman couldn't play anymore until we lucked into Romo. For those that think that simply replacing a franchise QB with the leadership intangibles that Dak has, remember those years. For 5 and a half years, we didn't have a franchise QB. The only reason we had one was because Sean Payton managed to steal Romo away from the Broncos as a UDFA, and somehow, he didn't take Romo to New Orleans with him when he left for there. Oh, and then Parcells started to use him more. If not for all of that, I suspect we probably would still be looking for a franchise QB. Idk about you, but I would hate to return to THOSE years of searching for a franchise QB. Those years were an awful introduction to being a Cowboys fan for me as all I knew for my first few years as a fan was 5-11.
The truth is Payton tried to trade for Romo but Jerry wouldn't deal. And Romo is the exact reason you don't pay Dak to a elite $ contract. 5 years 1 playoff win and 3 years of no show for the playoffs . Dak has failed time and time again in the clutch , sad but true Dak just doesn't have it unless its soft time. The Dak urban myth is really out of control.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The truth is Payton tried to trade for Romo but Jerry wouldn't deal. And Romo is the exact reason you don't pay Dak to a elite $ contract. 5 years 1 playoff win and 3 years of no show for the playoffs . Dak has failed time and time again in the clutch , sad but true Dak just doesn't have it unless its soft time. The Dak urban myth is really out of control.

Well, it was a good thing that Jerry didn't deal Romo. We would've been in a world of trouble. And the thing is, Dak has been a solid player for us. Given our need for defence, I don't know how you replace him. We need to go defence early because we have a horrible defence. A CB, DT, S, or LB would be the best things that we can get at 10. I don't think Wilson or Lance will fall to us, much less Lawrence. So, we don't really have a top option to take. So, we have to keep Dak for at least one more season while we fix our defence. Otherwise, we won't have a franchise QB which will make things really bad.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Oh my God the Dak love never ceases to amaze me in the least.

My argument isn't just about the fact that I like Dak (which I do) and think he's the best player on the team. My argument is also a caution against just letting him go without considering the consequences of the fact that now you have to find a franchise QB again. That's NOT easy to do as the years mentioned showed. And, had it not been for Romo, God only knows how long that franchise QB search would have continued.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I know right? It sure felt that way at the time. That shows that finding a franchise QB isn't just dialing 1800FranchiseQB. You have to have some luck. We have gotten lucky with Romo and Dak.
Especially this franchise. They got real lucky with Dak because Romo was starting to have back problems and we didn't have any suitable replacement behind him. Its like this team to wait until the end to try and find a QB....too busy trying to take advantage of Romo's prime...which I understood at the time but not sure if it was the right approach.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What correlation does Dak and Romo have to where Romo is the exact reason you don't pay Dak? Romo needed help just like most players of his caliber......what's the issue?

Dak has failed time and time again in the clutch? I Don't think you've been paying attention....

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Especially this franchise. They got real lucky with Dak because Romo was starting to have back problems and we didn't have any suitable replacement behind him. Its like this team to wait until the end to try and find a QB....too busy trying to take advantage of Romo's prime...which I understood at the time but not sure if it was the right approach.

Not only that, but Jerry had no intention at the time TO replace Romo. Dak was initially intended to be a backup and maybe groom to start at some point. Not when he did though. Turned out, Romo goes down, Moore (who was the 2nd string at the time) goes down, and Dak has to go in. Turned out, he was a damn good QB who has only gotten better. You don't strike lightning in a bottle at QB often, and we've done it twice with Romo and Dak! Houston finally found a franchise QB after a long time, and now he's pleading to leave. The Jets haven't had one in a long time. The Browns and Bills FINALLY have ONE.

dacoming

Reaction score

I needed therapy during those years...depressing

phildadon86

Reaction score
Please show. Time and time again he has failed. Also show. Zekes stats and the defences stats for those games. Also fumbles and drops at key moments.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Not only that, but Jerry had no intention at the time TO replace Romo. Dak was initially intended to be a backup and maybe groom to start at some point. Not when he did though. Turned out, Romo goes down, Moore (who was the 2nd string at the time) goes down, and Dak has to go in. Turned out, he was a damn good QB who has only gotten better. You don't strike lightning in a bottle at QB often, and we've done it twice with Romo and Dak! Houston finally found a franchise QB after a long time, and now he's pleading to leave. The Jets haven't had one in a long time. The Browns and Bills FINALLY have ONE.
You're exactly right. I think he was intended to be Stephen McGee....and if he developed he developed. Its kind of a gift and a curse though had they did address it......man...who would we have ended up with? Johnny Manziel? Just never know...guess it worked out the best it could.....

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Please show. Time and time again he has failed. Also show. Zekes stats and the defences stats for those games. Also fumbles and drops at key moments.

Exactly! As stated before in other threads, we have had a HORRIBLE defence that started bleeding out in 2018. It wasn't very noticeable in 2018 until the Rams playoff game in 2018 when an aging CJ Anderson destroyed us. We didn't take the hint after that game that we should probably fix our run D. So what happens? We couldn't stop the run in 2019. Did we take the hint then? Nope! So we saw what happened this year. Now it's at a point where we don't really have a choice. If we want to have ANY success, we MUST fix our run D. We have to take our early picks and put them to the best defencive players we can find. So, now we have to keep Dak either way, and we SHOULD keep Dak.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
You're exactly right. I think he was intended to be Stephen McGee....and if he developed he developed. Its kind of a gift and a curse though had they did address it......man...who would we have ended up with? Johnny Manziel? Just never know...guess it worked out the best it could.....

Yup! In all those aspects, you're right. Dak was in intended to be a Stephen McGee at the time he was drafted. LUCKILY he turned out to be good! I remember when Jerry tried to go for Manziel over Nick Martin! That RIGHT THERE should be reason enough for us to be concerned about Jerry trying to draft a franchise QB. THAT'S Jerry's idea of a franchise QB! Let that sink in to those of you begging for Dak to walk.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Due to my age...that was my hey day. I don't even remember the Super Bowl years that well....I remember vividly Dexter Coakley, Quincy Carter....and even Clint Stoerner.......

Same here given that I was about 7 when I started watching, and that was around the 1999/2000 season lol. So I didn't see the SB years. I was in diapers and about a month old for the first of the 90s SBs.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Exactly! As stated before in other threads, we have had a HORRIBLE defence that started bleeding out in 2018. It wasn't very noticeable in 2018 until the Rams playoff game in 2018 when an aging CJ Anderson destroyed us. We didn't take the hint after that game that we should probably fix our run D. So what happens? We couldn't stop the run in 2019. Did we take the hint then? Nope! So we saw what happened this year. Now it's at a point where we don't really have a choice. If we want to have ANY success, we MUST fix our run D. We have to take our early picks and put them to the best defencive players we can find. So, now we have to keep Dak either way, and we SHOULD keep Dak.
Im waiting for the response. Because if he brings up the Saints game from last year. We can easily blame Zeke and Witten for that loss. Jets? Missing both tackles and 2 starting WR (not in the clutch but he will bring it up), New England? Coaching staff decided to practice inside all week and we played in a hurricane lol. Time and time again they keep making up reasons for him losing. Just him. The philly game from last year? He should have sat out. And i agree with that. He was hurt and shouldnt have played and tried to be a hero. Other than that? Clutch would be what? Beating Russel Wilson? Going toe to toe with Aaron Rodgers in the playoffs? These people are morons.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Im waiting for the response. Because if he brings up the Saints game from last year. We can easily blame Zeke and Witten for that loss. Jets? Missing both tackles and 2 starting WR (not in the clutch but he will bring it up), New England? Coaching staff decided to practice inside all week and we played in a hurricane lol. Time and time again they keep making up reasons for him losing. Just him. The philly game from last year? He should have sat out. And i agree with that. He was hurt and shouldnt have played and tried to be a hero. Other than that? Clutch would be what? Beating Russel Wilson? Going toe to toe with Aaron Rodgers in the playoffs? These people are morons.

Oh, and giving up a 92 yard play to the JETS certainly doesn't help matters. I also would like to point out the Bears game which I ATTENDED. The defence was PATHETIC. We couldn't even stop Trubisky from running. I was sitting in the stands annoyed that we couldn't even stop the obvious runs. Sure, Dak should've probably sat out the Eagles game, but that's not the player he is. He showed that against the Giants this year. His foot was snapped, and he tried to snap it back in place so he could keep going. That toughness said everything that I needed to know about him. And exactly right on the point about the Seahawks playoff game and going toe to toe with Aaron Rodgers in his first playoff game. And losing partly due to some BS officiating I may add.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Oh, and giving up a 92 yard play to the JETS certainly doesn't help matters. I also would like to point out the Bears game which I ATTENDED. The defence was PATHETIC. We couldn't even stop Trubisky from running. I was sitting in the stands annoyed that we couldn't even stop the obvious runs. Sure, Dak should've probably sat out the Eagles game, but that's not the player he is. He showed that against the Giants this year. His foot was snapped, and he tried to snap it back in place so he could keep going. That toughness said everything that I needed to know about him. And exactly right on the point about the Seahawks playoff game and going toe to toe with Aaron Rodgers in his first playoff game. And losing partly due to some BS officiating I may add.
No. There is one poster here who praises Byron Jones like he was Deion Sanders. He is why we lost that game. He would have you believe it was Dak though.