The Cowboys QBs of 2000-2006

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Furboy, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Furboy

Furboy Well-Known Member

17,642 Messages
    18,596 Likes Received
    I think Byron Jones was good, but he wasn't worth what Miami gave him. He was no Deion Sanders. Now, a Diggs IS starting to show to be a MUCH better CB than we've had since Terrance Newman. If we can get Surtain or Horn from South Carolina? Now we will have a dangerous CB combo!

2. phildadon86

phildadon86 Well-Known Member

12,579 Messages
    17,345 Likes Received
    Farley, Surtain II, or even Ifeatu who has been lighting up practice in the senior bowl later would be nice. If we can somehow land one of those corners, Shelvin, and Moehrig, I am very excited about this defence come next year.

Furboy likes this.
  3. Furboy

Furboy Well-Known Member

17,642 Messages
    18,596 Likes Received
    Same here, and if we can get a DT and a S in rounds 2 and 3, I think we will be in EXCELLENT shape next season. Then, we still need to address LB so we can stop the run. This is where a trade down would be helpful, but, we fortunately should have 2 3rd round picks.

4. gjkoeppen

gjkoeppen Well-Known Member

7,621 Messages
    3,270 Likes Received

Your comments closely compare to how the eagles fans are and how they talk about the eagles and they are well know as the worst fans in the NFL.

Furboy likes this.
  5. Furboy

Furboy Well-Known Member

17,642 Messages
    18,596 Likes Received
    Pretty much, yes

6. Furboy

Furboy Well-Known Member

17,642 Messages
    18,596 Likes Received
    I'd also like to point out another issue that we have. We have a HORRIFIC defence. I don't care if you bring in Patrick Mahomes. You're not winning when your defence is giving up 30-40+ points per game. We need to fix the defence. We can't AFFORD to draft a QB early this year. So, we are in a position right now where, if you let Dak go, you're likely starring down the barrel of what I am talking about.

7. 75boyz

75boyz Well-Known Member

2,782 Messages
    2,532 Likes Received
    Since I've already witnessed the incumbent's ceiling... I will try not to just settle for the going standard and go with that old Air Force motto of Aim High of which my opinion of the current standard is not high enough.

pjtoadie likes this.
  8. Rayman70

Rayman70 Well-Known Member

21,073 Messages
    19,151 Likes Received
    this should scare everyone lol. DO we really wanna let Dak walk? lol...afterall...franchise QB's that are say...top 10 do not come along often and are hard to find. This is absolute foolishness if we let him leave.

Furboy likes this.
  9. Furboy

Furboy Well-Known Member

17,642 Messages
    18,596 Likes Received
    That's the point of this thread. THIS is a VERY real possibility that we could face. Oh, and we NEARLY entered it again with Manziel and Lynch had we drafted those two. It's not just other teams that have struggled, WE struggled to find a franchise QB. The number of QBs I listed in the span from 2000-2006, ALL OF WHICH PLAYED during that span, is STAGGERING! We are too comfortable with the fact that we have had such a timeframe since Romo where we could COUNT on solid play from our QBs. I think people have forgotten what we once were and just how FORTUNATE we are to have had Romo and have Dak like we do. If fans want Dak to walk, then just know that what I laid out in this thread is VERY real and VERY possible.

10. ColoradoCowboy

ColoradoCowboy Well-Known Member

482 Messages
    597 Likes Received
    OK, this made me laugh. For those that don't know, here is the song:

Furboy likes this.
  11. Furboy

Furboy Well-Known Member

17,642 Messages
    18,596 Likes Received
    Thankies! I was hoping it'd bring a laugh! Great song hehe. As a furry, Animaniacs is one of my favourite shows.

12. Furboy

Furboy Well-Known Member

17,642 Messages
    18,596 Likes Received
    True, but the point remains. Had Payton not been able to talk Romo into coming to Dallas, we don't have Romo in all likelihood.

13. thunderpimp91

thunderpimp91 Well-Known Member

2,325 Messages
    4,566 Likes Received
    Where I would try and play devils advocate on this subject is with the volume of average qbs we see coming into the league, and contributing quickly. This isn’t 2000 anymore and you can find qbs, especially 1-2 year stop gaps that you can win with. Just this last year we had multiple hits in the draft with burrow and Herbert. Last season you had probably the most big names of all time reach FA at the qb position. Now in 2021 you have 5 possible qbs with possible round 1 grades + guys like stafford/Watson available.

I think where the real debate is where dak ranks vs his peers. It seems to be pretty consensus that he is a top 5-10 qb, how much of a difference their is between #5 and #15 an in today’s nfl is very much up for debate though.

Furboy likes this.
  14. DeathMonkey

DeathMonkey Well-Known Member

6,887 Messages
    11,889 Likes Received
    And paying Dak 15-20% of the salary cap is going to help the team win how if they can't afford more talent on defense? I'm all for signing Dak, but there has to be some give and take on both sides. It's not just all on Jerry.

Furboy and pjtoadie like this.
  15. doomsday9084

doomsday9084 Well-Known Member

776 Messages
    1,231 Likes Received
    Cowboys playoff wins in 5 years with Dak = 1
    Cowboys playoff wins from 2000-2006 = 0

Dak is a fine player and with a great team around him, I think he could win a super bowl but it takes a lot more than just him. He isn't going to have a better team around him than Mahomes if you pay him Mahomes money and Dak isn't going to outplay Mahomes. Its a catch-22. Dallas is likely screwed if they just let him leave but they are also screwed if they give him a massive contract.

The Eagles and Rams are already deep into buyer's remorse on their 2016 extensions.

Personally, I think that the team is already screwed beyond repair due to the Zeke, Jaylon and Tank contracts. If they give Dak a deal, I hope its like for 3 years so if things don't go well they can just burn it down when all of these bad deals expire.

75boyz and Furboy like this.
  16. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

43,191 Messages
    36,044 Likes Received
    We were so close to having Johnny Manziel, Paxton Lynch or Connor Cook being our QB......damn it would've been depressing.

Furboy likes this.
  17. Furboy

Furboy Well-Known Member

17,642 Messages
    18,596 Likes Received
    I agree, but the best way to build the team is through the draft. That's why I've advocated for trading players that can feasibly be traded for more picks to help with this.

DeathMonkey likes this.
  18. Furboy

Furboy Well-Known Member

17,642 Messages
    18,596 Likes Received
    That it would've been.

rocyaice likes this.
  19. Furboy

Furboy Well-Known Member

17,642 Messages
    18,596 Likes Received
    Agreed. Had they been smarter with the Zeke, DLaw, and especially the Jaylon Smith deals, we wouldn't be this screwed.

20. Brax

Brax Well-Known Member

3,441 Messages
    3,104 Likes Received
    It's not the QB it's the cost he is demanding, unless the QB is elite just don't see team building with $$$$ left over.