News: The Cowboys release Tony Romo

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I've got mixed emotions on this. Part of me wanted to see him go to a contender with a great defense and prove the haters wrong. The other part of me never wanted to see him in another uniform and is glad he's retiring instead.

Silverstar

Reaction score
Happy Trails
aceb66f90ed82bde9552baeca40b2499.jpg

bandfan

Reaction score
So, I'm wondering, since he was given an outright release does that mean he has to clear waivers? What if someone claimed him?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I know everyone has an opinion on this. I know they vary from person to person.

My initial reaction is that this is a poor move by the Cowboys organization. We let Romo go, got nothing for him, AND gave up his future rights going forward. If romo had retired we would have essentially had a free insurance policy for Dak with no cap implications. In essence you have a signed backup that you aren't having to pay salary.

I realize that Romo may have a gentlemans agreement with Jerry to go do broadcasting and come back if Dak gets hurt, but it is unenforceable.

Now Denver and the Texans get a free run at Romo and give up nothing in terms of compensation to us to get him.

I guess it is moot if Romo goes into broadcasting and never returns to play football, but that isn't a given.

I also acknowledge that none of us have all the facts about all of the dynamics going on behind the scenes, so maybe this isn't as poor of a move as it appears to be. But at first blush this looks like it is a very poor move by the organization.

The only benefit we received was the designation as a post June 1 cut. But Romo could have retired after June 1 and not forced the Cowboys hand on the June 1 designation.

It's merely circumstantial evidence, but the fact that it is going down the way it is indicates that Romo was pushing for his release and played the only leverage he had which was forcing the June 1 designation so that his retirement didn't hit this year all at once.

From my point of view the timing indicates that the CBS deal is real, but is being used solely to drive up the price in negotiations. I think Romo plans to play this year.

The only way Romo doesn't play this year is if they aren't willing to pay him enough to play.
LOL verdict he isnt coming back, this cbs job is for 20 years,and is the top cbs analyst, doing big games and SB's!
he would be stupid to turn it down for big money to play maybe only 1 or 2 years for some other team.
And he wouldnt come back to cowboys, after last year.

you dont take this cbs job, then quit to go play for texans lol. It isnt worth it.
he now has job security, and good pay millions per year, and more free time to play golf.
No more getting beat up and broken bones lol.

Most players need a ring or 2 to get this job, but they offered it to tony with no rings, so best to just take it.
Forget the whole ring quest thing, which would be the only reason to keep playing.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
So, I'm wondering, since he was given an outright release does that mean he has to clear waivers? What if someone claimed him?
well retiring probably makes that not possible, but would be wild if some team could claim him.

FiveTime

Reaction score

Players with more than 4 years in the league go straight to free agency.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I've got mixed emotions on this. Part of me wanted to see him go to a contender with a great defense and prove the haters wrong. The other part of me never wanted to see him in another uniform and is glad he's retiring instead.
yeah I wanted to see him make it to SB with another team, and win or do good.
But the reverse of that is he could get hurt again, or things dont go well and one and done in playoffs.
or he has 25 td's and 20 int's and doesnt do any better than with cowboys.

He chose the sure thing, and it is a long term deal with cbs.
Football would have been short term, and this deal he got was probably a one time offer.
Unless he played and won a SB, then they might still offer the job.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
yeah I wanted to see him make it to SB with another team, and win or do good.
But the reverse of that is he could get hurt again, or things dont go well and one and done in playoffs.
or he has 25 td's and 20 int's and doesnt do any better than with cowboys.

He chose the sure thing, and it is a long term deal with cbs.
Football would have been short term, and this deal he got was probably a one time offer.
Unless he played and won a SB, then they might still offer the job.

Yes, the problem with him proving anyone wrong is his injury history. It seems very likely that an injury was going to end his career at some point if he continued playing. It's certainly the main reasons teams were wary about giving anything up for him.

SMASHMOUTH9473

Reaction score
Mabye it's just a diversion...an insurance plan to the process. Hear me out. JJ tells Romo this: Well release you as a post June 1st cut, we'll save some much-needed cap space, you can go broadcast at CBS, if something drastic happens to Dak or we make it to the Super Bowl, we'll sign you immediately. No other teams offer you that incentive. You get to fully heal yourself, spend quality time with your family. Romo agrees.....it a part of the process.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Who is a better backup QB week #1 if Dak gets hurt the last game of the pre-season, Kellen Moore who has had a full training camp or Romo coming back from retirement with no training camp?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Starting early Tuesday morning, numerous reports from around the NFL landscape indicated Romo’s intention to retire from playing and enter into NFL broadcasting. Regardless of his future plans, the Cowboys still opted to make him a post-June 1 cut from their roster – mainly as a bookkeeping measure.

If Romo had filed his retirement papers while still on the Cowboys’ roster, he would have cost the club $19.6 million toward their salary cap in 2017. By releasing him prior to retirement, the Cowboys can split that charge over the next two seasons. He will now cost $10.7 million against the salary cap in 2017 and $8.9 million in 2018.

The June 1 designation will save the Cowboys $14 million this year – though those funds won’t become available until June 2.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...romo-qb-expected-retire-enter-tv-broadcasting

The Cowboys could have forced him to wait until June 1st to retire. He would owe them 12.5 million if he retired against their wishes.

If Romo and his agent agreed not to return to the NFL if the Cowboys would release him now, then the agent is unlikely to go back on that agreement.

Romo being interested in Houston/Denver might have been a negotiation tactic with CBS.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I wonder if Dak goes down with an ACL if Romo would be tempted to come out of retirement and play for Dallas again?

I would take Romo coming out of the CBS booth over noodle arm Moore any day.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
LOL verdict he isnt coming back, this cbs job is for 20 years,and is the top cbs analyst, doing big games and SB's!
he would be stupid to turn it down for big money to play maybe only 1 or 2 years for some other team.
And he wouldnt come back to cowboys, after last year.

you dont take this cbs job, then quit to go play for texans lol. It isnt worth it.
he now has job security, and good pay millions per year, and more free time to play golf.
No more getting beat up and broken bones lol.

Most players need a ring or 2 to get this job, but they offered it to tony with no rings, so best to just take it.
Forget the whole ring quest thing, which would be the only reason to keep playing.
And I'm going to venture to say that this move may ultimately get him into the Hall of Fame. If he carves himself a legacy like John Madden did, he'll ride the way of media favorite and darling and that will help him get in.
The same thing will happen for Darren Woodson and Jimmy Johnson. They've become more likeable to the media, and their legend grows because they're still in the spotlight.
Wise move, Romo. Wise move.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know everyone has an opinion on this. I know they vary from person to person.

My initial reaction is that this is a poor move by the Cowboys organization. We let Romo go, got nothing for him, AND gave up his future rights going forward. If romo had retired we would have essentially had a free insurance policy for Dak with no cap implications. In essence you have a signed backup that you aren't having to pay salary.

I realize that Romo may have a gentlemans agreement with Jerry to go do broadcasting and come back if Dak gets hurt, but it is unenforceable.

Now Denver and the Texans get a free run at Romo and give up nothing in terms of compensation to us to get him.

I guess it is moot if Romo goes into broadcasting and never returns to play football, but that isn't a given.

I also acknowledge that none of us have all the facts about all of the dynamics going on behind the scenes, so maybe this isn't as poor of a move as it appears to be. But at first blush this looks like it is a very poor move by the organization.

The only benefit we received was the designation as a post June 1 cut. But Romo could have retired after June 1 and not forced the Cowboys hand on the June 1 designation.

It's merely circumstantial evidence, but the fact that it is going down the way it is indicates that Romo was pushing for his release and played the only leverage he had which was forcing the June 1 designation so that his retirement didn't hit this year all at once.

From my point of view the timing indicates that the CBS deal is real, but is being used solely to drive up the price in negotiations. I think Romo plans to play this year.

The only way Romo doesn't play this year is if they aren't willing to pay him enough to play.
Based on what Romo said today, he isn't coming back. Ever.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
s
And I'm going to venture to say that this move may ultimately get him into the Hall of Fame. If he carves himself a legacy like John Madden did, he'll ride the way of media favorite and darling and that will help him get in.
The same thing will happen for Darren Woodson and Jimmy Johnson. They've become more likeable to the media, and their legend grows because they're still in the spotlight.
Wise move, Romo. Wise move.
5 years and he can go in with DWare

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Yes, the problem with him proving anyone wrong is his injury history. It seems very likely that an injury was going to end his career at some point if he continued playing. It's certainly the main reasons teams were wary about giving anything up for him.
well just imo , but I think he has healed up and could have played without any injurys.
Teams like denver and houston were stupid to not try and get him for 1-3 years.

That led to him doing the smart thing and just getting the top cbs job lol. that is easy money and you get to just watch a lot of games.
Only thing is it is mostly afc games.