News: The Cowboys release Tony Romo

Pants

Reaction score
good thing this didn't all come out on saturday - NO ONE would have bought into it

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I bet after a few months doing this, Romo gets really fat.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I think Jerry took Romo at his word that he was retiring and getting out of his NFL deal completely probably helped him with CBS

If he somehow changes his mind and leaves the best job in sports then DAL loses a potential draft pick and Tony loses Cowboys for Life status.....with a new mansion just North of the Star that would be a dumb move
You're probably right. He likely couldn't sign with CBS until he was out of his contract. The Cowboys wanted that relief from a June 1st and Romo probably didn't want to wait until June 1st to be able to send in his retirement, no matter if it was just for show at that point.

I suppose it could backfire on Jerry, but I highly doubt Romo would leave CBS high and dry after they put him in the top spot. I don't think that's a bridge he would just burn just to manipulate his release like some on here seem to be insinuating.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You're probably right. He likely couldn't sign with CBS until he was out of his contract. The Cowboys wanted that relief from a June 1st and Romo probably didn't want to wait until June 1st to be able to send in his retirement, no matter if it was just for show at that point.

I suppose it could backfire on Jerry, but I highly doubt Romo would leave CBS high and dry after they put him in the top spot. I don't think that's a bridge he would just burn just to manipulate his release like some on here seem to be insinuating.
He just fell face first into the best gig in sports

Why do you think Gruden isn't coaching anymore and Troy puts up with Joe Buck

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

eternaljester81

Reaction score
Tony saw how Jerry treats people and players. T.O. ring a bell??? I can't even imagine the backstabbing/bad mouthing that goes on behind closed doors.

You mean how Jerry has hung on to players too long, or overpaid guys he was loyal to? What a jerk.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm conflicted.

Of course, I love The Star.

Then again I also love MacReady.

Dang it, I'm going with MacReady if The Thing jumps into the middle of this conversation.

Wait...

Maybe I'M The Thing... :eek:
I'll show you what I already know:
thingpetri_0.jpg

khiladi

Reaction score
Two points:

1. I think Romo leaves the possibility open that they may need him in the future on a cheaper contract, if Dak goes down.

2. Romo will be coaching in Dallas in the future.

willia451

Reaction score
The good news is that none of us arm chair experts got it right

We were all wrong, including yours truly and that is hard to accomplish

No one had - Tony would get June 1st released, retire and sign with CBS Sports to replace Phil Simms

I did. :) I said it 2 years ago when they let Murray walk.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys QB Tony Romo retiring from NFL

0ap3000000408080.jpg
By Conor Orr Around The NFL Writer Published: April 4, 2017 at 03:07 p.m. Updated: April 4, 2017 at 04:32 p.m.

Tony Romo has chosen retirement.

Despite interest from at least one playoff-ready NFL team, the Dallas Cowboys legend and four-time Pro Bowler retired from playing on Tuesday and was officially released by the team.

Romo will work for CBS this season as an analyst alongside Jim Nantz on game broadcasts, the network confirmed Tuesday. He replaces Phil Simms as the lead game broadcast analyst for CBS.

"I'm really excited about the challenge ahead," Romo said in a conference call. "I'm excited. It's going to be a great challenge for me ... I hope that I'm able to make the CBS family proud with their decision."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000797371/article/dallas-cowboys-qb-tony-romo-retiring-from-nfl

Some videos embedded in there so worthwhile if you haven't seen them.

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-4_11-2-58.gif
    upload_2017-4-4_11-2-58.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 1
  • upload_2017-4-4_11-2-58.gif
    upload_2017-4-4_11-2-58.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 1

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys QB Tony Romo retiring from NFL

0ap3000000408080.jpg
By Conor Orr Around The NFL Writer Published: April 4, 2017 at 03:07 p.m. Updated: April 4, 2017 at 04:32 p.m.

Tony Romo has chosen retirement.

Despite interest from at least one playoff-ready NFL team, the Dallas Cowboys legend and four-time Pro Bowler retired from playing on Tuesday and was officially released by the team.

Romo will work for CBS this season as an analyst alongside Jim Nantz on game broadcasts, the network confirmed Tuesday. He replaces Phil Simms as the lead game broadcast analyst for CBS.

"I'm really excited about the challenge ahead," Romo said in a conference call. "I'm excited. It's going to be a great challenge for me ... I hope that I'm able to make the CBS family proud with their decision."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000797371/article/dallas-cowboys-qb-tony-romo-retiring-from-nfl

Some videos embedded in there so worthwhile if you haven't seen them.

Cowboys punch the Giants in the face. Take that Mara!

Verdict

Reaction score
I know everyone has an opinion on this. I know they vary from person to person.

My initial reaction is that this is a poor move by the Cowboys organization. We let Romo go, got nothing for him, AND gave up his future rights going forward. If romo had retired we would have essentially had a free insurance policy for Dak with no cap implications. In essence you have a signed backup that you aren't having to pay salary.

I realize that Romo may have a gentlemans agreement with Jerry to go do broadcasting and come back if Dak gets hurt, but it is unenforceable.

Now Denver and the Texans get a free run at Romo and give up nothing in terms of compensation to us to get him.

I guess it is moot if Romo goes into broadcasting and never returns to play football, but that isn't a given.

I also acknowledge that none of us have all the facts about all of the dynamics going on behind the scenes, so maybe this isn't as poor of a move as it appears to be. But at first blush this looks like it is a very poor move by the organization.

The only benefit we received was the designation as a post June 1 cut. But Romo could have retired after June 1 and not forced the Cowboys hand on the June 1 designation.

It's merely circumstantial evidence, but the fact that it is going down the way it is indicates that Romo was pushing for his release and played the only leverage he had which was forcing the June 1 designation so that his retirement didn't hit this year all at once.

From my point of view the timing indicates that the CBS deal is real, but is being used solely to drive up the price in negotiations. I think Romo plans to play this year.

The only way Romo doesn't play this year is if they aren't willing to pay him enough to play.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
He looks like a scrub dressed like that. No way CBS allows him to appear all scrubby like that.
I'm sure he will be clean shaven with full makeup and tailored jackets. It's part of the gig at that point. That's probably just something generic they had on hand.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Sad to see the Romo era officially over...............at least he has a great job at CBS now

LOL at the Texans, totally screwed now:laugh: