News: The Cowboys release Tony Romo

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

Anyone care to take back your asinine conspiracy theories?

I think Jerry took Romo at his word that he was retiring and getting out of his NFL deal completely probably helped him with CBS

If he somehow changes his mind and leaves the best job in sports then DAL loses a potential draft pick and Tony loses Cowboys for Life status.....with a new mansion just North of the Star that would be a dumb move

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Yes.

Jones blinked. Could not even wait for the press conference with CBS announcing Romo's broadcast career.

Funny how he had all the time in the world, until training camp a few days ago. Now gets this done in less than eight hours.
The press conference is in 30 minutes.

@Alexander with another L.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
C8lyF3yUQAAt6JV.jpg

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It is all about the cap. Even though people will tell you it does not matter since they can do whatever they want.
It would have no effect on the cap

DAL could put off the retirement papers until June 1st and get the same benefit as a June 1st release

It was a courtesy to allow him to sign with CBS unencumbered

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
You're thankful the GM of your favorite team didn't think of the team's best interest.

What can I say? You are one model human being. It's inspirational.

While we are talking about the recent retiree, The Eagles just traded for DT Timmy Jernigan.

waving monkey

Reaction score
You're thankful the GM of your favorite team didn't think of the team's best interest.

What can I say? You are one model human being. It's inspirational.
I can always depend on your sarcasm,its a sign of real consistency

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While we are talking about the recent retiree, The Eagles just traded for DT Timmy Jernigan.

But is that what Timothy wanted to happen? How is his family? These are the important things to any fan. I would hope the Ravens didn't make a move simply to try to improve their team. Nobody can be that callous.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Starting early Tuesday morning, numerous reports from around the NFL landscape indicated Romo’s intention to retire from playing and enter into NFL broadcasting. Regardless of his future plans, the Cowboys still opted to make him a post-June 1 cut from their roster – mainly as a bookkeeping measure.

If Romo had filed his retirement papers while still on the Cowboys’ roster, he would have cost the club $19.6 million toward their salary cap in 2017. By releasing him prior to retirement, the Cowboys can split that charge over the next two seasons. He will now cost $10.7 million against the salary cap in 2017 and $8.9 million in 2018.

The June 1 designation will save the Cowboys $14 million this year – though those funds won’t become available until June 2.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...romo-qb-expected-retire-enter-tv-broadcasting

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The good news is that none of us arm chair experts got it right

We were all wrong, including yours truly and that is hard to accomplish

No one had - Tony would get June 1st released, retire and sign with CBS Sports to replace Phil Simms