The Cowboys should sign Keenum, and let Dak decide what to do next

Proof

Reaction score
Keenum for 15mil over dak at 35, Yes short term a guy like Fitz or keenum with our Oline Pollard, zeke , a rebuilt defense and special teams.. he was 10-6 with a playoff team like this..you can be competitive with a Fitzpatrick or Keenum on a better team..their records show they can be but typically end up on bad teams and thats why records are overrated..

THE OP is not off base he said you sign them as insurance in case dak holds out and also it shores up the backup QB spot..ive been saying this for months..i go a step further and we draft Fromm or Hurts in the 4th and make sure we are developing another draft pick..you cant let dak who is asking for much more then hes worth in a lot of peoples opinions hold you hostage, So if you FT him and he holds out, you have to have plan..

thats not hate thats being realistic, its common sense..also takes some leverage back while hes holding out..

MM can work with a journeymen with this offensive talent..

Wasn’t the question. I have common sense and can make up favorable hypotheticals as well.

blueblood70

Reaction score
so lets say we sign Keenum. for a couple of years. obviously he is not the type to take you tot he superbowl and he is 31!!! so where are you going to get your next QB? draft? who? how can you guarantee the drafted QB is going to work out?

sounds like you like gambling.....
paying Dak 35 is not a gamble? thats huge Gamble hes played on talented teams and 2 of 3 years weve missed the playoffs now, 8-8 this season , I know its a not all Dak but dak also hasn't shown RECENTLY that he can win games , absolutely out a loss out and turn it into a win, not one time this season when down at the half by even small margins did we win.. he also couldn't beat good teams so we can be average with a Fitzpatrick or keenum type while developing another draft pick or be average with a 35mil QB who has never shown much consistency?? you pay a QB 35mil because he can pull out wins from apparent losses, a few anyway , most QBs can beat average to bad teams, its how they perform against the good ones is barometer for a big deal to be handed out.

we blamed a lot of this on Garett and Marinelli etc they are gone , maybe this new staff can take a Hurts or Fromm and build a strong scheme and team around them like Lamar Jackson got in Baltimore..we do have strong run game and Oline is experienced plus a new staff and what should be better ST and Defense..Im betting a journeyman QB with a young Draft pick could play in this environment..

thats the argument, no one really thinks dak suxs , a lot think its a high risk a big gamble to pay him 35 and not have the cap space to make the rest of the team stronger and Daks shown he needs a lot of help around him..irt hard to do both so options and plan Bs are nedded..

this isnt up to us anyway..lets see how the Fo handles this..these are spitballing sessions

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
yes jameis Winston. A #1 overall nfl qb talent that won a national championship.....give him a run game like we have and you’d win more than 8 games. All the arm talent in the world, dumb as hell tho.
a #1 QB who has now been proven that he is a failure in the NFL. Tim Tebow won a couple of national championship, but he sucked as an NFL QB..

you have to come up with something better and more logical than he won an NCAA championship, therefore he is a good NFL QB!!!!

all the arm talent...there is a long list of them...the brain is where he lacks....and that's the most important part of a QB ability...

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
With the IQ of this board, you should have known it would be full of bad takes while people pretend that Keenum wasn’t every bit as good as Dak when he had a complete team. Dak would be in the XFL already if he started out on the Fisher Rams and recent Broncos/Deadskins teams.
Dak slobberers love QBR... Keenum has had a higher finish in QBR than Dak has ever had when given quality teammates.

Why has he changed teams 6 times in 7 years? He's a journeyman bum.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Wasn’t the question. I have common sense and can make up favorable hypotheticals as well.
ok so what thats my opinion,

want a close and recent proof,

Philly won a SB with an average backup a journeymen that was not successful on any team when the talent was bad or the coaching sux.. Foles played two seasons for philly where he bailed them out on a deep payoff run and a Sb wins..the right team around these guys and for half price you can win.. a lot of these types of QBs are on horrible teams.. give them a team and you can hide their weakness and they can bus drive you to a deep run..

its all a risk bro..but 35mil to dak is abig risk as well..its tough sot and thats why hes unsigned.. the FO is fighting their instincts vs their eyes as well..thats ton of money into a QB that hasn't shown that much more then a Journeymen has..

I saw that in JimmyG this past week, they his him most of the postseason and when they need him most , he failed..they paid him 28 mil to sit on the bench hurt one year and have decent year but hes just an Alex Smith type as is DAK..THEY ARE GOOD QBS NO DOUBT, but not the 1st tier elite types you pay that much too..

its a a rock and a hard place position to be in

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
a #1 QB who has now been proven that he is a failure in the NFL. Tim Tebow won a couple of national championship, but he sucked as an NFL QB..

you have to come up with something better and more logical than he won an NCAA championship, therefore he is a good NFL QB!!!!

all the arm talent...there is a long list of them...the brain is where he lacks....and that's the most important part of a QB ability...

he can play from under center. That’s where he plays best.

I’m not saying he is my #1 option..... but he is pretty high for a couple reasons.

The Bucs arent stupid to let him go anyways, but yes as dumb as he is, he is a great qb and Giant upgrade from the great interviewer we’ve had.

I’d def take him over dak and feel like I was robbing a bank when I did it.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
The Cowboys should get Case Keenum and give him a four year deal.
He would be an upgrade immediately, and at worst would solidify the Cowboys at quarterback if they do eventually sign Dak.
Phillip Rivers is also available, and is an upgrade.
Ryan Tannehill is available.
The Cowboys don't have to be in this soap opera with a guy who went 8-8 but wants to be paid like he is a proven winner.
Signing a veteran like Keenum- who has been a winner- would likely change Dak's attitude towards a new contract.
But I believe that the Cowboys would make it to the NFC Championship game next year with a guy like Keenum under center.

Not sure if trolling? Everyone you named would be an overwhelming DOWNGRADE.

Proof

Reaction score
ok so what thats my opinion,

want a close and recent proof,

Philly won a SB with an average backup a journeymen that was not successful on any team when the talent was bad or the coaching sux.. Foles played two seasons for philly where he bailed them out on a deep payoff run and a Sb wins..the right team around these guys and for half price you can win.. a lot of these types of QBs are on horrible teams.. give them a team and you can hide their weakness and they can bus drive you to a deep run..

its all a risk bro..but 35mil to dak is abig risk as well..its tough sot and thats why hes unsigned.. the FO is fighting their instincts vs their eyes as well..thats ton of money into a QB that hasn't shown that much more then a Journeymen has..

I saw that in JimmyG this past week, they his him most of the postseason and when they need him most , he failed..they paid him 28 mil to sit on the bench hurt one year and have decent year but hes just an Alex Smith type as is DAK..THEY ARE GOOD QBS NO DOUBT, but not the 1st tier elite types you pay that much too..

its a a rock and a hard place position to be in

again man, I understand the dynamic and the options. I was scoffing at the notion that Dak is not a winner, and Case Keenum is, specifically. We have a single example of him having a winning season with a great team, and terrible records outside of it. Where as w/ Dak he's won more than anyone not named Brady, and a single season of 8-8. It was just a very weird statement.

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
Why has he changed teams 6 times in 7 years? He's a journeyman bum.

Or he got drafted to a crap team and also lacks talent himself......

I don’t think anybody would argue keenum as a highly talented football player but I think a lot of cowboy fans recognize he is a smart football player that maximizes his talent (the main reason his career will be longer than daks)

LetsBeReal

Reaction score

btw, has dak proven to you he is a #1 qb inthe nfl or any other level of football he has ever played in his life?
No? Well, he shouldn’t ask for that kind of money cause their are real expectations when guys get that kind of money

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
paying Dak 35 is not a gamble? thats huge Gamble hes played on talented teams and 2 of 3 years weve missed the playoffs now, 8-8 this season , I know its a not all Dak but dak also hasn't shown RECENTLY that he can win games , absolutely out a loss out and turn it into a win, not one time this season when down at the half by even small margins did we win.. he also couldn't beat good teams so we can be average with a Fitzpatrick or keenum type while developing another draft pick or be average with a 35mil QB who has never shown much consistency?? you pay a QB 35mil because he can pull out wins from apparent losses, a few anyway , most QBs can beat average to bad teams, its how they perform against the good ones is barometer for a big deal to be handed out.

we blamed a lot of this on Garett and Marinelli etc they are gone , maybe this new staff can take a Hurts or Fromm and build a strong scheme and team around them like Lamar Jackson got in Baltimore..we do have strong run game and Oline is experienced plus a new staff and what should be better ST and Defense..Im betting a journeyman QB with a young Draft pick could play in this environment..

thats the argument, no one really thinks dak suxs , a lot think its a high risk a big gamble to pay him 35 and not have the cap space to make the rest of the team stronger and Daks shown he needs a lot of help around him..irt hard to do both so options and plan Bs are nedded..

this isnt up to us anyway..lets see how the Fo handles this..these are spitballing sessions
yes, its a gamble. but a gamble that has a higher probability of paying off than wasting 15-20 mill a year on a QB that we know can not win. its about your odds. Dak has been on a talented team and he has won...the limitations as we all argued to no end has been the coaching. I have been a Dak critic (I never slobbered and neither was I ever a hater). I pointed to his flaws and wanted to see improvements in his game. he has done that every year. is he elite? no, there are only a few elite QBs in the league.....

I fully expected the results we saw this season. a lame duck coach. who couldn't hire any coaches he wanted. a meddling GM. what else did you expect to happen? there was so much uncertainty to begin the season and it was part of everything that happened this year. we can not pull full blame on Dak, given the coaching situation, with Garrett (do we need to go there) and a first year OC who got schooled a few times. we lost games due to stupid coaching decisions....at least 4 that I can count.

and Dak has shown he can beat good teams and come back. I always argued that most NFL games go into the 4th quarter within a score or chance of a team wining it. the coaching makes all the difference in the 4th quarter to put the players in position to win...this past year we didn't. how many times did we come on this board after a game we lost and cursed at Garrett and wanted him fired...

the point being, we can give him a contract that would allow us to get out of it in 3 years...lets see how the new regime does, because we can't bring in a lame duck QB, that will guarantee us a couple of craappy seasons...and then go searching for a QB, hoping to hit on one....to me that has much lower odds of us winning, than signing Dak.

two years ago, Cousins got a huge contract....now it doesn't look so large....Carr got a huge deal and now it looks very reasonable...two years from now Dak's contract will look average...its the way the NFL QB market is and will be for some time...

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys should get Case Keenum and give him a four year deal.
He would be an upgrade immediately, and at worst would solidify the Cowboys at quarterback if they do eventually sign Dak.
Phillip Rivers is also available, and is an upgrade.
Ryan Tannehill is available.
The Cowboys don't have to be in this soap opera with a guy who went 8-8 but wants to be paid like he is a proven winner.
Signing a veteran like Keenum- who has been a winner- would likely change Dak's attitude towards a new contract.
But I believe that the Cowboys would make it to the NFC Championship game next year with a guy like Keenum under center.
You lost me at "He would be an upgrade immediately". Case's best season in his 7 year career is about equal to Dak's worst season. This past season Keenum was horrible.

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
yes, its a gamble. but a gamble that has a higher probability of paying off than wasting 15-20 mill a year on a QB that we know can not win. its about your odds. Dak has been on a talented team and he has won...the limitations as we all argued to no end has been the coaching. I have been a Dak critic (I never slobbered and neither was I ever a hater). I pointed to his flaws and wanted to see improvements in his game. he has done that every year. is he elite? no, there are only a few elite QBs in the league.....

I fully expected the results we saw this season. a lame duck coach. who couldn't hire any coaches he wanted. a meddling GM. what else did you expect to happen? there was so much uncertainty to begin the season and it was part of everything that happened this year. we can not pull full blame on Dak, given the coaching situation, with Garrett (do we need to go there) and a first year OC who got schooled a few times. we lost games due to stupid coaching decisions....at least 4 that I can count.

and Dak has shown he can beat good teams and come back. I always argued that most NFL games go into the 4th quarter within a score or chance of a team wining it. the coaching makes all the difference in the 4th quarter to put the players in position to win...this past year we didn't. how many times did we come on this board after a game we lost and cursed at Garrett and wanted him fired...

the point being, we can give him a contract that would allow us to get out of it in 3 years...lets see how the new regime does, because we can't bring in a lame duck QB, that will guarantee us a couple of craappy seasons...and then go searching for a QB, hoping to hit on one....to me that has much lower odds of us winning, than signing Dak.

two years ago, Cousins got a huge contract....now it doesn't look so large....Carr got a huge deal and now it looks very reasonable...two years from now Dak's contract will look average...its the way the NFL QB market is and will be for some time...

dak has never,in his entire life, won anything. He was the best player on a bad high school team. One of the better offensiveplayers on a good defensive college team. And neither of those teams did a did damn thing in the end. (Don’t tell me about “his” getting m state to #1 the week before they played bama on national tv either.

Dude will never win super bowl. I will guarantee it.

LetsBeReal

Reaction score

Can he beat good teams? I know he can beat a good team here and there if they get an early turnover or something like that.......but did you see something I didn’t see this year cause we didn’t beat any good teams besides the game philly gave us when they came to Dallas and fumbled on opening drive and then started around the 10 yard line (neither of which dak had any part of)........actually when the cowboys get a 10-0 lead on any team in the nfl with this rb and o line, I personally believe a lot of local high school qb’s could have won 8 games this past
season. No lie........Daks best game game this year was bathe Vikings and we lost that!!!!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dak has never,in his entire life, won anything. He was the best player on a bad high school team. One of the better offensiveplayers on a good defensive college team. And neither of those teams did a did damn thing in the end. (Don’t tell me about “his” getting m state to #1 the week before they played bama on national tv either.

This is ridiculous because it suggests QBs win all on their own. Hell, you admit his high school team was bad, yet you are still holding Dak responsible for not winning in high school.

As for not beating Bama - that applies to almost every team that plays Bama, yet you are going to say that with Dak it is because he personally can't win.

There just really isn't much logic in your post.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
he can play from under center. That’s where he plays best.

I’m not saying he is my #1 option..... but he is pretty high for a couple reasons.

The Bucs arent stupid to let him go anyways, but yes as dumb as he is, he is a great qb and Giant upgrade from the great interviewer we’ve had.

I’d def take him over dak and feel like I was robbing a bank when I did it.
what's the insistence on playing under center... most QBs, ala Brees, even Brady don't play from under center most snaps...Deshan Watson took only 20% of his snaps from under center....lamar Jackson only about 5%, he is the MVP, NE was 50/50, NO, surprisingly took 52% of their snaps in shutgun!! and dallas was at 62% from shutgun and GB at 59%..... and KC took 77% of the snaps in shutgun and they just won the superbowl and everyone agrees Mahomes is the next elite QB in the league with an MVP already....

so this notion of we would be a better team if we took snaps from under center and therefore I don't like dak (although he took 38% of snaps from under center). is asinine.....

and If Winston is your bar for a great QB...then either he is your relative or you have a man crush on him....because Winston sucks...anybody handing him 25 mill a year would be better off signing Sanchez....they would get the same results but at much lower cost

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Not sure if trolling? Everyone you named would be an overwhelming DOWNGRADE.
he is a troll...everyone one on this board will know him soon, ignore him mostly and he will eventually do things to ban himself from the board...he is intellectually inferior and is just looking to troll and get responses.

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
This is ridiculous because it suggests QBs win all on their own. Hell, you admit his high school team was bad, yet you are still holding Dak responsible for not winning in high school.

As for not beating Bama - that applies to almost every team that plays Bama, yet you are going to say that with Dak it is because he personally can't win.

There just really isn't much logic in your post.

Actually he beat bama and rode the media wave the rest of the year while his defense carried his team. And no, I didn’t say his high school team sucked, I said he didn’t lead them to anything important.
He might win reg season games, he doesn’t and hasn’t won meaningful post season games.

Hey man, if he gets paid I’ll count my crow and run and hide. it’s nothing personal, I’d let him babysit my kid. I wouldn’t hire him to win me a super bowl tho

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

he hasn't won anything is not indicator of not being able to win in the future. there are a lot that go into the circumstance...if it was about that, then every NCAA QB that won a championship should also be a good NFL QB and win a superbowl...every Heisman trophy winner should be a good NFL QB, etc. Tom brady didn't win anything until he got the chance and was with the right coach and right situation. Roth didn't win until he had the right team and right coach. Brees didn't win until later in his career, Rivers never won anything anywhere yet he was always considered elite.

your line of argument falls flat....very flat