The Cowboys showing signs of Improvement

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Every position there has ever been has busts and a lot of QBs are reached for out of need. Stop being scared to draft a QB.

Maybe we have sucked for 20+ years because we don’t have a Super talent at QB.

I’ll take the “crapshoot” of drafting Lawrence.

True, but quarterback is such a huge part of the team, any failure there and the team suffers immensely. Miss on a defensive end or receiver or such and you're not hurt so bad. Much bigger risk...

CapnB

Reaction score
1 thing i noticed that i hadn't seen in previous weeks. We ran a whole lot of stunts which was what we did under Rod and did rather well. We probably had more pressure on Big Ben and Wentz the last two weeks than the entire season. In my opinion, this defense is night and day different from where they were.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
True, but quarterback is such a huge part of the team, any failure there and the team suffers immensely. Miss on a defensive end or receiver or such and you're not hurt so bad. Much bigger risk...

Ok.. This doesn’t scare me away from Lawrence lol.

Im done with this scared overly conservative approach.

The Jones’s didn’t win titles from being scared to make moves.

That has been what they have become. Dak Prescott is not a game changer.

You have a potential game changer in front of you that will play cheap for 5 years then you move mountains to go get him.

Look how the rookie class from this past draft is performing.. Lawrence is better than all those guys.

blueblood70

Reaction score
There are no such thing as a “moral victory” in the NFL. But despite losing the last two weeks, the Cowboys have shown signs of life. We’ve seen both an uptick in effort and performance, and although we didn’t win either game, the improvements are visible.

Look at the ways the Cowboys have improved:
  • Despite losing 4 straight since Dak went down, the effort has actually started to improve rather than decline. The Cowboys were written off yesterday before the game even started, but the players didn’t act like it.
  • It appears Mike Mac and his staff are starting to get through to the players. The team looked like they were on the same page in all three phases of the game.
  • Young players are emerging- How about Neville Gallimore yesterday? What a game he had. Cedee Lamb continues to shine (despite one bad TO), Tony Pollard showed flashes in the run game against one of the best defenses in the league, Diggs continues to improve, LVE had an excellent game.
  • The defense has stopped bleeding and is actually performing- The defense looked competitive the last two weeks. LVE has returned to his 2018 form, and some of the youngsters like Diggs and Gallimore are having impact. DLaw and Randy Gregory are starting to look impactful. The defense still has a long way to go. But it’s clearly improving.
  • Special Teams have greatly improved- what a difference from the last few years.That fun punt return was such a refreshing, fun play. The kick coverage teams are clearly better. Zuerline’s accuracy is refreshing. All good signs.
One area we MUST improve- Turnovers. We lost the TO battle 2-0 again yesterday. That was probably the difference in the game in the end.

But at least this team is fighting and improving.

the TOS havent stopped by the offense since game 2 no matter the QB they are good for 2 a game , not a the QB but Dak was at least a fumble and pick a few games, zeke had bad 2 games, shultz, now Lamb in on it..that for sure has to stop.. I dont beleive we are 1-3 to start the year had it not been for the Offensive let downs as we were a lot like Seatle cold score with bad defense couldn't afford the mistakes, look at seatle now 2 straight losses due to guess what RW having his meltdown ie like EIGHT(8) thats not typo eight Tos in 2 games or is my memory off? you lose games when your offense puts strain on weak defense..its about Team ball and all 3 phases need to be on their game to win against better teams..

Dalton didnt have shot with the zekes 2 fumbles worse Ol and bad defense..

its simply has not come together not one game where the Offense plays clean..i know its hard but man that Lamb fumble and GG INT were game killers , we arent IMO trying the last drive to win the game had it not been for those mistakes we win by 10..

chicago JK

Reaction score
I agree...it was good to see some nice things for a change.

Kudos for the team to getting a QB off the street and actually look like they were running an NFL offense. For too many years, our offense looked inept when we had to use a backup QB. Other teams find ways to survive, it was nice to see Dallas not completely blow up because we had a backup in.

On defense, our expectations should not be huge but they were good yesterday. It makes it even better that a lot of the guys making plays were our young players. It too early to anoint Gallimore and Gregory, but both really stuck out last night. If you include both with Lawrence, Diggs, and LVE that is a nice group to build around (I don't want to put Jaylon in that group but he appeared to play better outside of two killer penalties). The rest of the guys are either depth guys or guys who will not be here next year. So they definately need to improve their defensive talent and depth next year but it was nice to see young guys making plays.

blueblood70

Reaction score
There are no such thing as a “moral victory” in the NFL. But despite losing the last two weeks, the Cowboys have shown signs of life. We’ve seen both an uptick in effort and performance, and although we didn’t win either game, the improvements are visible.

• Special Teams have greatly improved- what a difference from the last few years.That fun punt return was such a refreshing, fun play. The kick coverage teams are clearly better. Zuerline’s accuracy is refreshing. All good signs.

so the posts on needing to cut zurlein and get that other guy back hate threads on Fassel and Zurlien after week what 3 were lets say premature?
he has 3 misses all 2 over 50 and that one was what 49 in a gail force wind?

Creeper

Reaction score

Look at the ways the Cowboys have improved:
  • Despite losing 4 straight since Dak went down, the effort has actually started to improve rather than decline. The Cowboys were written off yesterday before the game even started, but the players didn’t act like it.
  • It appears Mike Mac and his staff are starting to get through to the players. The team looked like they were on the same page in all three phases of the game.
  • Young players are emerging- How about Neville Gallimore yesterday? What a game he had. Cedee Lamb continues to shine (despite one bad TO), Tony Pollard showed flashes in the run game against one of the best defenses in the league, Diggs continues to improve, LVE had an excellent game.
  • The defense has stopped bleeding and is actually performing- The defense looked competitive the last two weeks. LVE has returned to his 2018 form, and some of the youngsters like Diggs and Gallimore are having impact. DLaw and Randy Gregory are starting to look impactful. The defense still has a long way to go. But it’s clearly improving.
One area we MUST improve- Turnovers. We lost the TO battle 2-0 again yesterday. That was probably the difference in the game in the end.

They have to eliminate the stupid stuff. It seems every time they commit a stupid penalty it's at the worst time. Having said that, some of the penalties were picky tack to me. They were penalties, but not that egregious. The roughing call on Jaylon was a slap at the ball that grazed the facemask and hit him on the shoulder. That seems to be a call where the refs have to be in a mood. I have seen it called both ways. The illegal contact penalty also on Jaylon was just past 5 yards. Compare that play to the no calls we've seen against Dallas and it is head scratching. Remember the tackle of CD Lamb that turned into an INT?

Of course the two 15 yd penalties against the Cowboys against Gregory and LVE were deserved although the refs should not have allowed the Steelers play to shove his hand into LVE's face like that. Bad teams make those mistakes.

While I agree they looked a lot better this week, I am not taking away too much from this game. After Big Ben hurt his knee, I don't think the Cowboys touched him in the second half. Not once.

blueblood70

Reaction score
And no other players played into killing those drives?
Pollard had a few drive killers himself.

Gregory offsides, the REFS?
they ignore those things because they have PERSONAL Narratives to protect..

Pollard had many negative plays himself, the few positive ones were luck that the OL happened to finally open a hole he found at the right time. Nothing more nothing less.. Zeke on one leg did the best he could but the defense keyed him anytime he was on the field and sometimes let up a bit when pollard was in thinking maybe it was tell form pass play..I like pollard but the dumb narrative hes better then zeke is ridiculous,..fans who actually watch football from deeper place KNOW THIS....

I root for both but no need to hate on one to prop up the other, its sad when fans wish for our players to be gone and cheer when they dont play well

SAD!!!

fivetwos

Reaction score
We are 2 picks away from drafting a QB that can actually carry us to wins and championships and we’re worried about drafting some linebacker or DB.

All so we can create a 1 or 2 year window to win a wildcard game in 2023.
I need to see the Jets win a game before I can as much as think about Lawrence.

I don't think they will at all, and they will need to do so twice....and that's if we dont win another game.

Theres no possible way the Jets deal that pick. They have to take him and they will.

blueblood70

Reaction score
And no other players played into killing those drives?
Pollard had a few drive killers himself.

Gregory offsides, the REFS?

who had the block in the back on long KR? dont forget them, Steele killings big pass play with the IF call..

we can dissect the mistakes all over the field every game..I guess GG INT with Goal to go wasn't big deal Lambs fumble ? we just sweep those under the rug?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I need to see the Jets win a game before I can as much as think about Lawrence.

I don't think they will at all, and they will need to do so twice....and that's if we dont win another game.

Theres no possible way the Jets deal that pick. They have to take him and they will.

I’m telling you.. If we can just get to #2 I think Lawrence is going to kick fight and scream to come to Dallas and I think the Jets will listen because they really don’t even need a QB as much as they need a coach and some talent on their team.

I think Fields or Sewell is an easy sell when Lawrence is telling you he won’t sign and they are already floating out this kind of stuff.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am hopeful about them becoming a team because they've just been a bunch of individuals showing up for work.

I think the dissension in the locker room is gone and trust is beginning to grow between the coaching staff and players and I think it was a great idea to get Nolan down on the field.

Getting players like Gregory, Lee and Vander Esch back has helped with the stability and seeing Gallimore start to seize his opportunity is motivational to the entire D. The player most helped by all of that is the one player on D that doesn't have to apologize because he's been holding up his end, Lawrence.

None of this changes the fact that this team needs a talent infusion at LB, Secondary and the OL.

One thing I would do is equalize the plays for Elliott and Pollard amd give Pollard the chance to take that job. He hits the hole faster and is actually harder to tackle than Elliott. Something is just not right about Elliott when I watch him. I don't know if it's mental or physical but he's just not the same.

kskboys

Reaction score
Just to play devils advocate, I wonder if the Stealers OL were soft in the middle? Gallimore and Crawford played at an All Pro level.

I want to believe Dallas is turning the corner, but I just can't find the faith.
Pouncey and DeCastro didn't think so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fivetwos

Reaction score
I’m telling you.. If we can just get to #2 I think Lawrence is going to kick fight and scream to come to Dallas and I think the Jets will listen because they really don’t even need a QB as much as they need a coach and some talent on their team.

I think Fields or Sewell is an easy sell when Lawrence is telling you he won’t sign and they are already floating out this kind of stuff.
That could happen. Didnt consider that.

I'm also not sure if Jerry would be on board if he was in that spot.

Do you really not think he would stay with Prescott and the haul of picks? I kinda think that's what he would do.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
After Big Ben hurt his knee, I don't think the Cowboys touched him in the second half. Not once.

Reminds me of the Packers playoff game. Rodgers could barely walk, let alone run, and yet the Cowboys seldom, if ever, put a blitz on him. Went to a 3 man rush on the play to the tight end that essentially won the game. Too much "prevent" defense...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
We need players not player, Lawrence will not be a Cowboy.

I tend to agree, but you never know. If Dak and his agent aren't a bit more flexible when contract negotiations resume, even JJ may just throw up his hands and put Dak on the non exclusive tag and try for the no.1 pick...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That could happen. Didnt consider that.

I'm also not sure if Jerry would be on board if he was in that spot.

Do you really not think he would stay with Prescott and the haul of picks? I kinda think that's what he would do.

I think smart football people would get in his ear and get him on the Lawrence bandwagon real quick.

They have said all along that Dak needs a contract that allows them to build the team around him he needs.

I think with Lawrence we are a Super Bowl contender in 2022 and back in the playoffs next year.

jjktkk

Reaction score
I am open minded. If you truly believe one of the top QB's is the guy, then certainly you take him. (Watching Tua & Kyler yesterday was awesome) As good as T Law has been, I'm not completely sold on his NFL future. I will be watching closely when he returns from Covid. Fields, i honestly haven't watched very much at all.

However, if there is any doubt, I would trade the pick for a boatload and plug as many holes as possible. Let Dak, Dalton, Gilbert whoever drive the bus for a year. With a decent Oline & decent defense the team would be competitive whoever is at QB.
I like your idea The one problem i have with "I would trade the pick for a boatload and plug as many holes as possible" theory is these boatload of draft picks will need to get their seasoning for a year or so, where as Dak and this current Cowboy's team is ready to contend now. Will a boatload of rookies and Dak coming back from a serious injury improve the team's playoffs and SB aspirations enough?