The Cowboys will have QB Matthew McKay at their rookie minicamp later this week

Cebrin

Reaction score
He has an arm, and at least reads the field even if it's at a slower pace. Gives me Romo vibes. Hope he works his tail off, and becomes a nice piece for us.

rags747

Reaction score
It's actually a nice school, about an hour from me. Look up college education costs for today and I have no clue how kids expect to make money with a 150k plus debt out of the gate for a 4 year degree.
Parents for the win!

bigE79

Reaction score
Well one thing for sure,he has a much stronger arm compared to noodle are #4

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Don’t know the story but it’s not hard to surmise that he had to keep going down in competition until he found the level he could actually compete at and wouldn’t be replaced as the starter by the newest QB recruit.
While that could be true, it also takes some players time to develop, so maybe he was a better QB this year than he was during his stints at the other schools. Guess we'll find out if he's an ascending player or simply benefited from the step down in competition.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looking at his throwing motion, I think it's a combination of early Romo on that and Dak on skill set. (May be a better runner than Dak, though, especially Dak now.) Got a lot to clean up before he could even get close to the level of either, if he can get there.

I like prospects like this, though. They are essentially raw material, so if they take well to coaching and work hard, sometimes they work out.
He doesn't point to the sky as well as Prescott. Have to work on that.

conner01

Reaction score
That's the first thing i noticed as well. It's clear he has arm strength because he's snapping his arm and making long throws without fully stepping into the throw quite often.

He looked very consistent doing it though so it's definitely a learned mechanic rather than happy feet which I thought it was initially.

A lot of those pockets on the long throws looked clean so it will be interesting to see how his foot movement reacts to smaller pockets and NFL speed pressure.
Sounds like some issues that could be fixed
If he looks good in camp he could be on the PS and get some work on technique things
Never heard of him but you never know

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
That was my thought. He seems to have good vision; put on 10 - 12 pounds of muscle and see what develops.

That throwing motion, along with his downward college spiral, doesn't speak well of his NFL chances.

That said, the occasional RB pass would be an option.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Never underestimate the value of a strong arm and a new QB coach.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
Ever hear of depth at a position?
Ever hear that completion brings out the best in a person?

your response proves that you put Rayne Dakota 1st and the good of the team 2nd
In response to the bolded, I would hope so....

Havic

Reaction score
Could be, but I'd rather try to develop a QB like this than carry someone like Grier. We know what he is at this point. With this guy, we don't know what he will become. Of course, I'm one of the ones who would have kept DiNucci over Grier last season for the same reason.
I’d like to develop someone for sure I just don’t think this is the right guy.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I’d like to develop someone for sure I just don’t think this is the right guy.
Probably not. There are definitely other players I would have rather seen us pick up, but we didn't. So we'll see how he turns out. Nothing really to lose considering we don't have other options.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Don’t know the story but it’s not hard to surmise that he had to keep going down in competition until he found the level he could actually compete at and wouldn’t be replaced as the starter by the newest QB recruit.
Thats actually not necessarily a bad thing in all cases. Think Tony Romo.