The "Dak can't throw the deep pass" myth

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Not exactly. For example, in 2014, the Cowboys where 3rd in red zone scoring and 2nd in red zone TDs. In 2013, they were 2nd in RZ scoring and 3rd in RZ TDs.

They were in the teens in 2012 and 2011. They were 9th in RZ scoring and RZ TDs in 2010.

2016 with Dak we were 6th in redzone scoring and 2017 7th in redzone scoring.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Myself big Romo fan. However Romo is not playing football any longer he has moved on and so have I. I have no issue with saying Dak needs to improve nor did I have issues saying a young Tony Romo needed to improve as a QB, some of his impulse throws while at times could be a big play would also at times cost the team. I watched Tony year after year working and looking to improve himself and in the end Tony was in my view a top QB in this league who at times was unfairly faulted and called a choker by many covering the NFL. As for Dak he has much to work on and improve on but shows a work ethic that makes me believe he can and will, he may never break a single Romo record and frankly I'm good with that because I think this team always asked too much out of Romo to begin with. I'm interested in this team winning championship not individual players and personal records. I also understand just as it was with Romo and other QB's of the Cowboys, they will always catch the heat until or unless they can help this team win it all.
wasn't there a stat that showed Romo was a top 5 QB in the 4th quarter when team was behind by one score....I remember seeing those type of stats.......

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The extreme positions on both sides suck, frankly. The people who scream he's a bottom 5 QB in this league or the worst are just extreme fools that are letting their emotions get the best of them. Others just say it to get rises out of people, I would guess.

Dak is an average NFL QB. I am not a fan simply because I think the Cowboys need to be better at the QB position. I don't believe Dak will improve all that much from what he is now. Largely because what I see are issues that I am not sure are fixable. Sure, you can work on his mechanics and on his footwork, that at times, goes haywire. Things like that can be fixed I believe (for example, quite a few times he's moved out of the pocket and not facing pressure and has delivered an inaccurate throw because his footwork is not clean).

But his lack of pocket awareness at times and inability to "feel" pressure and move into the open spaces of the pocket concern me. So many times this year, he's created a sack by moving into the sack instead of stepping into a clean pocket and delivering a throw. I also am concerned about his inability to anticipate throws consistently. I think that's what separates the truly good to great QBs from the average ones. People like to point to his low interceptions numbers, which is great, but I think that also is a sign of the fact that he simply doesn't trust himself or can't make the tougher throws that elite and great QBs can make.

I just fear that he's got a lower ceiling than some other young QBs and because of that ceiling, the Cowboys themselves have a lower ceiling than they should. And yes, having said that, I also realize the options facing the Cowboys right now are very limited unless they want to dive into the Nick Foles pool this offseason.
:hammer:

kskboys

Reaction score
2016 with Dak we were 6th in redzone scoring and 2017 7th in redzone scoring.
Thanks.

The only time our red zone problems were solved were w/ a great OL and tough short yardage RB. Murray was that in 13 and 14 and Zeke was that in 16.

kskboys

Reaction score
Too bad the little polarizers won't leave good discussions alone. It was the same on the old boards.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
:lmao2:
HTGz7kU.jpg
wow, you know even weeden threw the ball and made some plays...no one is screaming that he was great....one pass out of 300...awesome.... now, do you really want me to put up memes of all the bad throws....not sure there is enough space on the server for all of them and I might get banned...

:eek:

rags747

Reaction score
HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE

A bunch of milqtoast’s on this board, The same circle jerk actors that we see in politics these days where all they can espous is their mealy mouthed bull dung. Bunch of whiners that were unfortunately given participation trophy’s growing up.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with the blocking. Dak holds the ball too long. It's easy to see. Sure, sometimes blocking breaks down but that happens to every team. Do you think we would have the leading rusher if the blocking was abysmal constantly?

And blocking won't stop him from throwing off target with no pressure.

Its pretty clear from your post that you don't understand blocking or how the oline plays a vital role in the functionality of the offense.

But maybe you can try to explain this fact. In 2016 when Dak was the QB we had 28 sacks and in 2017 32 sacks. If there is nothing wrong with the blocking and Dak was here for all 3 years then how do you explain the 54 sacks this year?

CWR

Reaction score
Both these posts are silly. They just are.

Since the dawn of professional sports, part of being a fan has always been cheering AND criticizing the team, the players, etc. It's inherent in being a fan. Are you telling me you guys have never had a player that frustrated you and you criticized them?

This is sports. I think few people hope Prescott fails. This idea that Dak criticizers take pleasure in him struggling at times is simply BS. I suspect if you asked most, there aren't many that wouldn't want Dak to be as good as Brady or Rodgers or Brees or even Mahomes. So this notion that there is some personal bitterness over this guy is poppycock.

There is this undercurrent in posts like this that if you aren't waving your pom poms 24/7, it somehow makes you less of a fan. It's ridiculous.

Funny how you interpret my post that way . I VERY clearly stated at times Dak will drive you mad. Does that not imply frustration?

The people that drive me crazy are those that are so dug in they've lost all ability to analyze rapidly changing circumstances. I NEVER mentioned people wanting him to fail.

There are far too many times on here when Dak plays well and posters aren't able to give credit.

I will roast him or compliment him based on how hes played. That is NOTHING like "waiving pom poms."

Like I said he has promise, although its clear we may never see that promise to fruition. You go right on ahead and plan our impending doom, I will choose to enjoy the ride. Great job taking my post completely out of context and putting words in my mouth, cmon man.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
wasn't there a stat that showed Romo was a top 5 QB in the 4th quarter when team was behind by one score....I remember seeing those type of stats.......

There are a lot of stats but never stop the media for making claims that is in do or die moments Romo would make a mistake and they waited for that mistake to happen. Hell they took joy in it. I don't say this as anti Romo, I was as much of a fan of his than anyone here but with retirement often comes great memories yet the bad memories fade away.

rags747

Reaction score
The extreme positions on both sides suck, frankly. The people who scream he's a bottom 5 QB in this league or the worst are just extreme fools that are letting their emotions get the best of them. Others just say it to get rises out of people, I would guess.

Dak is an average NFL QB. I am not a fan simply because I think the Cowboys need to be better at the QB position. I don't believe Dak will improve all that much from what he is now. Largely because what I see are issues that I am not sure are fixable. Sure, you can work on his mechanics and on his footwork, that at times, goes haywire. Things like that can be fixed I believe (for example, quite a few times he's moved out of the pocket and not facing pressure and has delivered an inaccurate throw because his footwork is not clean).

But his lack of pocket awareness at times and inability to "feel" pressure and move into the open spaces of the pocket concern me. So many times this year, he's created a sack by moving into the sack instead of stepping into a clean pocket and delivering a throw. I also am concerned about his inability to anticipate throws consistently. I think that's what separates the truly good to great QBs from the average ones. People like to point to his low interceptions numbers, which is great, but I think that also is a sign of the fact that he simply doesn't trust himself or can't make the tougher throws that elite and great QBs can make.

I just fear that he's got a lower ceiling than some other young QBs and because of that ceiling, the Cowboys themselves have a lower ceiling than they should. And yes, having said that, I also realize the options facing the Cowboys right now are very limited unless they want to dive into the Nick Foles pool this offseason.
Good honest post and pretty much sums up my thoughts on Dak. If Baker Mayfield comes in this year and is already better than Dak than that tells me that I’m doing something wrong and I need to improve now.

Sydla

Reaction score
We had the same sort of problems in the red zone w/ Romo. Part of that was due to Romo being really bad on end zone fades, and the fact that our stud TE was not a great red zone threat. We talked about this ad nauseum on the old boards. Seems as if many have forgotten.

Our red zone woes were solved those years same as they were in Dak's rook year. Using our powerful OL and a great short yardage runner. That running threat opened things up greatly for everyone.

You notice the one year we didn't have the correct running back, 15, is the year you didn't mention. I suppose our red zone woes were bad that year? Of course, not having a starting Qb MIGHT have contributed!!!!

Were there red zone problems in 16? Prolly not as many. Good OL, good short yardage running game.

We might have had some similar issues but in terms of actual success, no, some Romo teams were actually very good in the RZ.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
thank you Zeke

Yeah and people want to see him getting more opportunities in the redzone and why not it is a major strength of the team. Dallas invested 1st rd picks on OL and a 1st rd pick at RB why would you not use it. As for Dak I have seen more production from him in the redzone when we can get him outside and give him the option of run or pass. As I said it puts pressure on the coverages as they either stay with their man in the endzone and allow Dak to tuck it and run or they come off the coverage giving him the throw. Dak also played a big part in 2016 and 2017 redzone

DFWJC

Reaction score

A bunch of milqtoast’s on this board, The same circle jerk actors that we see in politics these days where all they can espous is their mealy mouthed bull dung. Bunch of whiners that were unfortunately given participation trophy’s growing up.
:lmao::lmao2:
Go get 'em rags