The "Dak can't throw the deep pass" myth

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
When did Dak have those? Lol. Are you claiming Witten here in 2016 was on par with Kelci? Did we even have a wr on par with Hill? The only skill position comp was Rb. Also, let's see how Mahommes is playing in year 2 and 3
2016. one of the best ever OLs in NFL history. Dez. Witten. Zeke and his 2000 total yards...Dak was average...he rode the coat tails of those players to wins....he was 20 something in passing and didn't need to carry the team. in 2017, Dak lost Zeke and promptly went 3-3 and struggled to score 10 points a game. in 2016. the defense bailing him out game in game out. Dak needs to distribute his salary to all the other players on the team as he is robbing them blind. Witten perhaps not at the same level as Kelce, but look at Mahomes and even Smith did with those weapons...I mean freaking Alex Smith....

...and Zeke is far better than anything KC has........look at Dak.... he rises to above average with any weapons....while others become top in the league...there in lies the difference. Dak is nothing but an average QB, a bus driver. and let me say it again. that's not a knock on dak, that's fact and there is nothing wrong with that.....when you know you have average and nothing better, then you game plan accordingly. Dak will never be a top passer in this league...his skills aren't there. he peaked in 2016...and its down hill from there.

you Dak lovers make me laugh....I have to give you credit, the passion and man crush is unprecedented.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Oh, I see...

Deep passes only count when they are in the 4th/OT.

Stats are fun when you can chop them up, remove pertinent data, and set up arbitrary parameters to tell a story.

Let me try...Rod Smith has the highest YPC of any RB in NFL history when relieving a starter in the 2nd QTR of games where his team is down less than four points during an afternoon game.
:lmao2:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It's not that Dak can't throw deep, it's that he doesn't throw deep. He has only attempted 52 passes this year over 30 yards. Most other quarterbacks in the league have thrown three times as many.

Dak is afraid to make a mistake, and he therefore looks off wide open receivers down the seam.
that's the point with Dak. He is a safe QB. he avoids mistakes (except for fumbles). and you can game plan around that. control the clock. keep the game close. go into the 4th quarter in a close game and pull it out...we don't need him to be mahomes or brees or anybody else...we just need him to do what coaches ask him to do (except for fumbles). we can win with average and good defense and good running game.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Easily. Dak has regressed. Whenever you see him try that spin move you know a sack is coming.

So your explanation is the line is similar, but its just Dak that has gotten worse with more experience from his rookie year?

And your example is how when he spins away from pressure you know he is getting sacked? LOL

I knew it would be funny, but not that funny.

Carry on

blueblood70

Reaction score
he can throw them but he tends to hesitate and overthrow , throw to hard, or flat doesnt see or doesnt trust them enough..He is way to comfortable to the 10 yard and in stuff its become a habit to dump it off too much..last week was so frustrating to a fan watching where it looked like he and SL simply decided to shrink the field to a 15 yard box..they are OK with this and I cant stand it..set the dang defese up with runs and short throws but I want 5 plus Play action deeper balls agame thrown when the defense leasts expects it.. Russell does this well in Seatle as they also run ton but the deep balls are pretty, PA is set up perfectly..its what we SHOULD be doing with run oriented and successful at tit offense.. I hope the coaches see this on tap when watching seatle and steal some of that offense..TA can be used like :Lockett Gallup and Amari like Baldwin..

Dre11

Reaction score
2016. one of the best ever OLs in NFL history. Dez. Witten. Zeke and his 2000 total yards...Dak was average...he rode the coat tails of those players to wins....he was 20 something in passing and didn't need to carry the team. in 2017, Dak lost Zeke and promptly went 3-3 and struggled to score 10 points a game. in 2016. the defense bailing him out game in game out. Dak needs to distribute his salary to all the other players on the team as he is robbing them blind. Witten perhaps not at the same level as Kelce, but look at Mahomes and even Smith did with those weapons...I mean freaking Alex Smith....

...and Zeke is far better than anything KC has........look at Dak.... he rises to above average with any weapons....while others become top in the league...there in lies the difference. Dak is nothing but an average QB, a bus driver. and let me say it again. that's not a knock on dak, that's fact and there is nothing wrong with that.....when you know you have average and nothing better, then you game plan accordingly. Dak will never be a top passer in this league...his skills aren't there. he peaked in 2016...and its down hill from there

you Dak lovers make me laugh....I have to give you credit, the passion and man crush is unprecedented.

You're right look at what Smith did with those weapons, Smith a seasoned veteran qb. That tells you what Mahomes is working with. As I said let's see where mahomes is 2 years from now.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You're right look at what Smith did with those weapons, Smith a seasoned veteran qb. That tells you what Mahomes is working with. As I said let's see where mahomes is 2 years from now.
Alex smith is better than Dak, given what he was able to do with those weapons, which tells you how much better Mahomes is

mahomes is already where dak has never been (and will never be)....chew on that..

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So your explanation is the line is similar, but its just Dak that has gotten worse with more experience from his rookie year?

And your example is how when he spins away from pressure you know he is getting sacked? LOL

Carry on
more experience...but not better. same mistakes. same flawed throwing motion and not setting his foot in year 3. he has not progressed and in the NFL when you don't progress, you will be going backwards, because after his rookie year, DCs watched his film and figured out his weakneeses. he hesitates to make throws when CBs are within 3 yards of the WR. he hesitates to make deeper throws. he hesitates to throw with anticipation. he folds under pressure. he fumbles. he struggles to read defenses. he struggles against zone defenses.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
"Over the past 10 seasons"...Yet Dak has only 3 seasons under him. It's not bad but not good either. He really doesn't have the data (seasons) to really be included in this list.
& Russell Wilson has 7... Try not to read too deeply into it. It is a comparison of quarterbacks "in the past 10 seaoans that have attempted at least 60 long passes"...

You guys & your agendas. . . For once, try to leave the agenda out of the response.

Dre11

Reaction score
Alex smith is better than Dak, given what he was able to do with those weapons, which tells you how much better Mahomes is

mahomes is already where dak has never been (and will never be)....chew on that..

Lol...he should be he's been in the league and started for how long? No Mahomes hasn't, he's had 1 season, let's see what he does in year 2 and 3 once d coordinators figure him out. Chew on that

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
It's not that Dak can't throw deep, it's that he doesn't throw deep. He has only attempted 52 passes this year over 30 yards. Most other quarterbacks in the league have thrown three times as many.

Carr, Watson, Cousins, Brees, Luck, Mayfield, Stafford and Wentz all have completed fewer passes of 40+ yards this season than Dak. Brady and Fitzpatrick have completed as many as Dak (8). So if those guys are making a lot more attempts, then Dak has been more efficient at it.

The difference comes on passes between 20-39 yards. Dak is well behind most of those guys in that category.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...=PASSING&d-447263-s=PASSING_20PLUS_YARDS_EACH

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Lol...he should be he's been in the league and started for how long? No Mahomes hasn't, he's had 1 season, let's see what he does in year 2 and 3 once d coordinators figure him out. Chew on that
It would be hilarious to see Mahomes come back down to earth next year. This board would be so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

CowboysRule

Reaction score

Carry on
I was just stating a fact about his spinning away into sacks. It shows his lack of pocket presence. He can't feel the pressure at all. He doesn't see the blitz coming. He can't hit the hot reads. He can't make his regular reads. He's basically become a mobile version of Brandon Weeden.

Ever since the Atlanta game it's been all downhill.

CWR

Reaction score
But that's sports and sports fandom.

This notion that you can't be in the middle and just cheer on the team is silly.

Here's a crazy suggestion. Don't read the Dak threads if the criticism bothers you too much. There are threads I simply won't read or go into based on where I think the topics will head or will eventually go. At any given point, if there are 20 threads on this front page, I'll basically ignore half of them.

The shame of it is about half of all threads inadvertently become Dak threads. Trust me if you frequent this site and read about various topics you will undoubtedly have the Dak debate thrown at you whether you want it or not.

QT

Reaction score
You Dak fans are setting this team back for a decade. After we have to deal with his mediocre play for 3 or 4 more years (I really hope he's not a QB1 for this long), you will finally see the light....

Good luck with our franchise when he signs a $100 million contract....

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Both these posts are silly. They just are.

Since the dawn of professional sports, part of being a fan has always been cheering AND criticizing the team, the players, etc. It's inherent in being a fan. Are you telling me you guys have never had a player that frustrated you and you criticized them?

This is sports. I think few people hope Prescott fails. This idea that Dak criticizers take pleasure in him struggling at times is simply BS. I suspect if you asked most, there aren't many that wouldn't want Dak to be as good as Brady or Rodgers or Brees or even Mahomes. So this notion that there is some personal bitterness over this guy is poppycock.

There is this undercurrent in posts like this that if you aren't waving your pom poms 24/7, it somehow makes you less of a fan. It's ridiculous.
They try to shame you into not talking about Daks avg play and use all types of excuses. If Dak was a top 5 qb you'd see less post about him and wouldn't need his Dak troll bots to put up Otis stats to defend him. You think Bree's level qbs or any top level player has their fans having a civil war over his play? That in itself should tell you the player isn't as good as some would have you believe.