The "Dak can't throw the deep pass" myth

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Right.

But the last two years we've been average to bad. The trend is not really good.

How is ranked 5th in 2016 and 7th in 2017 avg? there are 32 teams. 2018 you get no argument from me it has been horrible

DFWJC

Reaction score
wasn't there a stat that showed Romo was a top 5 QB in the 4th quarter when team was behind by one score....I remember seeing those type of stats.......
I think it was even better than top 5.
People just counted the bad plays 10-20 times each to make up for it.
I get it to some degree. As fans, some losses were painful.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That's exactly it, no agenda just cheering on our Dallas Cowboys. Sometimes you're gonna love Dak and appreciate the hell out of his game and other times he will drive you mad.

From there I think its a lot about your actual life philosophy. Meaning some people are just negative while others strive to find the positive out of circumstances.

I am well aware he isn't perfect and could flop, however I've seen him flash and I trust in his character/work ethic and talent enough to hope he will become more consistent and answer all of our questions at qb.
"Hope", exactly.

Sydla

Reaction score
How is ranked 5th in 2016 and 7th in 2017 avg? there are 32 teams. 2018 you get no argument from me it has been horrible

I am looking at points per red zone appearance on Football Outsiders. They cowboys were 13th in points per RZ appearances in 2017. Granted, they were 6th in TDs per red zone appearance.

So they were worse in 2017 and much worse in 2018. Hence the trend comment in RZ scoring. Granted, one could argue that part of the RZ scoring problem in 2017 was our kicker kind of stunk.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Sure all QBs make mistakes. But others make less. That's undeniable. And that's what people who are critical of Dak are basically saying. They want a QB that makes less mistakes than Dak does.

Your post reads like the QB position is a fungible position.
The level of idiocy here is astounding. We have fans who think Prescott is an All Pro, mistake free QB and then those who suggest he's the worst QB ever. Being in the middle and just simply cheering the team on is impossible.
I want prescott to make less mistakes to. I've said so repeatedly! I also want our 4th overall pick to at the very least rush for 100 or more every game. I want this makeshift O line to destroy defenses. I want more than one pro bowl level WR. I want a great TE option.

But we have what we have. Some fans will whine about anything and everything.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I am looking at points per red zone appearance on Football Outsiders. They cowboys were 13th in points per RZ appearances in 2017. Granted, they were 6th in TDs per red zone appearance.

So they were worse in 2017 and much worse in 2018. Hence the trend comment in RZ scoring. Granted, one could argue that part of the RZ scoring problem in 2017 was our kicker kind of stunk.

TD are what I am interested in, not putting up 3's. I guess I'm remembering what Steve Young said when they faced Dallas in post season which was with each 3 points we were one step closer to losing. This team needs to put up the 7's not 3's so yes what Posted was purely TD not 3's

CWR

Reaction score
The level of idiocy here is astounding. We have fans who think Prescott is an All Pro, mistake free QB and then those who suggest he's the worst QB ever. Being in the middle and just simply cheering the team on is impossible.
I want prescott to make less mistakes to. I've said so repeatedly! I also want our 4th overall pick to at the very least rush for 100 or more every game. I want this makeshift O line to destroy defenses. I want more than one pro bowl level WR. I want a great TE option.

:hammer:

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Its pretty clear from your post that you don't understand blocking or how the oline plays a vital role in the functionality of the offense.

But maybe you can try to explain this fact. In 2016 when Dak was the QB we had 28 sacks and in 2017 32 sacks. If there is nothing wrong with the blocking and Dak was here for all 3 years then how do you explain the 54 sacks this year?
Easily. Dak has regressed. Whenever you see him try that spin move you know a sack is coming.

Sydla

Reaction score

But that's sports and sports fandom.

This notion that you can't be in the middle and just cheer on the team is silly.

Here's a crazy suggestion. Don't read the Dak threads if the criticism bothers you too much. There are threads I simply won't read or go into based on where I think the topics will head or will eventually go. At any given point, if there are 20 threads on this front page, I'll basically ignore half of them.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
It's not that Dak can't throw deep, it's that he doesn't throw deep. He has only attempted 52 passes this year over 30 yards. Most other quarterbacks in the league have thrown three times as many.

Dak is afraid to make a mistake, and he therefore looks off wide open receivers down the seam.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
But that's sports and sports fandom.

This notion that you can't be in the middle and just cheer on the team is silly. It's like some want to play a persecution card here that they can't be a true fan because, boo hoo, they are being too critical or homerish of my QB!

Here's a crazy suggestion. Don't read the Dak threads if the criticism bothers you too much. There are threads I simply won't read or go into based on where I think the topics will head or will eventually go. At any given point, if there are 20 threads on this front page, I'll basically ignore half of them.
Lol, you're being awfully dramatic. I'm not bothered anywhere close to what you think. Thank you for your unsolicited advice though!

Sydla

Reaction score
Lol, you're being awfully dramatic. I'm not bothered anywhere close to what you think. Thank you for your unsolicited advice though!

LOL. Then why even offer up the situation where you say, and I'll paraphrase, "it's impossible to just be in the middle and cheer on your team?"

That's quite a melodramatic comment right there. What makes it so impossible?

Dre11

Reaction score
fix the blocking, get him a #1 WR, get him a #1 RB, get him a #1 TE and a new coach and Dak is going to be good..sounds like he needs a lotof help just to reach average......and given all those resources.....then again, I can run that offense and be at least average.

Yeah like mahomes, who had Hunt, Kelci, and Hill? Or like Geoff who has Gurley and Kup? Or like Wentz have Ertzs,Jeffries,Ajayi?

Lol some of you...lol

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Statistically, Prescott has been right around the same his entire NFL career. He hasn't digressed, he's the same. He is what he is. I expect he'll improve his skill set and through experience may become a better QB, but that's how I see it. He may not.
We're able to stack the team because we're not paying top 5 QB money, so in some ways we got lucky in the 4th round. If he doesn't improve or help the team win postseason games, we'll be forced to pursue an early draft pick.

Reactions: CWR

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Yeah like mahomes, who had Hunt, Kelci, and Hill? Or like Geoff who has Gurley and Kup? Or like Wentz have Ertzs,Jeffries,Ajayi?

Lol some of you...lol
and when dak has those....he was slightly above average. when mahomes has those, he is on track for 50 TDs and 5000 yards...there is the difference. given those weapons what can you do with them? throw for 150 and struggle to score 13 points offensively? or score 28-35 points a game?

LOL, some of you dak lovers.....

Dre11

Reaction score
and when dak has those....he was slightly above average. when mahomes has those, he is on track for 50 TDs and 5000 yards...there is the difference. given those weapons what can you do with them? throw for 150 and struggle to score 13 points offensively? or score 28-35 points a game?

LOL, some of you dak lovers.....

When did Dak have those? Lol. Are you claiming Witten here in 2016 was on par with Kelci? Did we even have a wr on par with Hill? The only skill position comp was Rb. Also, let's see how Mahommes is playing in year 2 and 3

Reactions: CWR

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Oh, I see...

Deep passes only count when they are in the 4th/OT.

Stats are fun when you can chop them up, remove pertinent data, and set up arbitrary parameters to tell a story.

Let me try...Rod Smith has the highest YPC of any RB in NFL history when relieving a starter in the 2nd QTR of games where his team is down less than four points during an afternoon game.