The Daklemma

MarkP88

Reaction score
I would have agreed with that if the deal had gotten done and there weren't rumors floating of tagging him.

Mark, I thought that was part of him getting the job, "can't be my HC if you don't love my QB". And if you love your QB, you sign him, you don't take up where the stalemate left off last off season.

I do believe there are some folks in that FO that aren't on board with signing him, just as there were not many on board with drafting him. Where Big Mike is on all of this is a mystery. If he were all in on Prescott, we wouldn't be positing in this thread. He's the QB guy.
I'd like to think what you're saying is true - not so much because I don't like Dak as a player, but because I'd like them to hold as firm as they can in terms of paying him in line with what he brings to the table - but I don't think there's anyone in the front office not on board with signing him. Jerry and Stephen have talked about him like he's the second coming for a couple of years now, so you have those massive egos tied up in the fact that they have their QB, not to mention the fact that they've given his agents a ton of ammunition to bargain with.

I think he's going to get signed. I think they'll overpay him rather than tag him, even though (to me) tagging him would be safest. I think part of this is impasse but probably both sides are waiting to see if a new collective bargaining agreement is signed soon, and what impact it'd have on the cap.

To be clear, I think Dak is a solid player and we can win with him, provided he's got the right supporting cast. I don't blame him at all for trying to max out on what he gets; for all he knows, he'll never be in this position again.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
My opinion:
Really to build a championship team, here are your options --
OL play, Offensive Skill play, QB play, DL play, DB play, Special Teams.

If you have Great OL and DL play, you are a .500 team.
If you don't have at least very good OL and DL play, your Skill positions must be great to overcome. Great WR can't catch if QB doesn't have time to get it to them. Great RBs still need a hole to run through. QB's always look much better when they have more time for players to get open.

SF and Titans built excellent lines, and then let the skill positions be average.
KC had above average skills and QB. And good line play, but below average DB's. KC got lucky they played SF who didn't have a superior QB and Skills against them because that is how you beat KC.

Both will work under the correct circumstances.

Is Dak a good QB, yes. Probably top 10. Not top 5 though. Does he deserve to be the top paid player, no.
So what are the options?
1)Pay him what his agent wants (40-50M), cut other very good players, watch his play go down, have no money to sign new guys, end up short of goal, and no way to fix it because no $$$$.
2) Offer him "very good" money (34-38M), try to sign all you can, blow up your cap, take your shot realizing it is over shortly if you don't succeed. If you do succeed, you have little shot of repeating because others will want paid as well, and you will have no way to pay them.
3) Offer him "Good" money (30-33M), if he takes, sign as much as possible and stay in contention longer.
4) if he wont, franchise him and use draft, and FA to get a MM qb. Get him several to choose from.
**They should be trying to get the next QB all the time regardless of Daks situation anyway, imo.
5) Lowball him (less 30M), which means you are going after a temp FA to get you to your next young drafted QB.

Dallas so far has shown that it will pay "very good" players like they are the best -- see Tank, Zeke, Smith, Fredbeard, etc.

Why shouldn't Dak want in on this? Being overpaid is much nicer than being underpaid because it is easy to justify the money we make. With this said, someone will have to put their foot down somewhere and make it about the team instead of the individual......I know the agent definitely won't be the one that makes it about the team, and he is who all players are taught to listen to. Fact of the matter is that all players are overpaid for playing a kids game and only provide entertainment. With this said, I can't help but be envious of people who can play a game and get paid better than teachers, firemen, policemen, soldiers, farmers, engineers, even doctors and nurses.

I expect Dallas to take option 2 because of Jerry's age --- me personally I would take option 3/4.

This is how I see it, and know that regardless it is Jerry's team and Jerry's decision. Let's hope he makes a good one.

Scotman

Reaction score
A shame for the die hard fans much younger than Jerry,, because that's a hail mary approach that is in reaction to desperation, which rarely if ever equates to success.
I hate being the doom and gloomer, but my eyes have studied this game for so long that I have a very hard time believing that just because Jerry gave JG his walking papers and allowed MM to come in and bring his hand picked staff, that everything else is just going to work itself out.
Red Ball and associates put this franchise in a tailspin with bad drafting, FA, and future contracts.
Expecting a coaching staff change, expecting MM to be the fix for 10 plus years of damage is foolish, and not fare at all to MM and this new staff.
Desperation rarely makes for a solid plan, does it? Jerry is desperate.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd like to think what you're saying is true - not so much because I don't like Dak as a player, but because I'd like them to hold as firm as they can in terms of paying him in line with what he brings to the table - but I don't think there's anyone in the front office not on board with signing him. Jerry and Stephen have talked about him like he's the second coming for a couple of years now, so you have those massive egos tied up in the fact that they have their QB, not to mention the fact that they've given his agents a ton of ammunition to bargain with.

I think he's going to get signed. I think they'll overpay him rather than tag him, even though (to me) tagging him would be safest. I think part of this is impasse but probably both sides are waiting to see if a new collective bargaining agreement is signed soon, and what impact it'd have on the cap.

To be clear, I think Dak is a solid player and we can win with him, provided he's got the right supporting cast. I don't blame him at all for trying to max out on what he gets; for all he knows, he'll never be in this position again.
I don't fault any player for getting all he can get, that's the real game. And the Cowboys are known blinkers so why shouldn't any player go for the gold?

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I don't fault any player for getting all he can get, that's the real game.
And the Cowboys are known blinkers so why shouldn't any player go for the gold?

Because when enough players go for the gold, the gold runs out. The pie is only so big. And it's all driven by extreme greed.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
49ers didn’t actually come out of nowhere. They had built a solid defense and were lacking a QB and why that was Shannahan first order of business.

SF last year was picked to be most improved team and contend for playoffs but Jimmy G season ending injury ended hopes with a 4-12 finish but it afforded them a high pick which landed Bosa strengthening an already stout defense.

Anyone paying attention knew 49ers could be a factor this year. Summarizing they came out of nowhere isn’t telling the whole story.

die--- but i think you can agree no one saw them being as dominant as they played this year?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
die--- but i think you can agree no one saw them being as dominant as they played this year?
That wasn’t the argument. It was coming out of nowhere.

I think we could present an argument they had the potential to be dominant with their defense . The bigger argument was offensively.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Because when enough players go for the gold, the gold runs out. The pie is only so big. And it's all driven by extreme greed.
That’s all part of professional sports . The owners are in it for the money too. As well as the the networks , sponsors and really everyone involved but the fans assuming you aren’t wagering.

Greed is the root and driving force in a Capitalist society. I applaud it! Fans are whiney thinking it’s just a game.

The NFL is sports entertainment at the highest level.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tom Brady got exposed for the first time in like forever now that he doesn't have the best Oline, a true #1 WR, a true #1 TE or a true #1 RB, hence why he was done in the divisional round of the playoffs.

I thought he is the G.O.A.T.? I thought he is capable of lifting up lesser players around him? I thought he is the opposite of Dak?

Nope.

All QBs need a good Oline, a good WR and a good RB. That's not including if you're lucky to have a good Defense and a good coaching staff. What happened to the "lifting"?

So whats Dak's excuse? Dak has a legit #1 WR, an all pro running back........great offensive line. Brady is 42 years old and played 2019 with next to nothing. Your going to try to discredit his 6 rings based on 2019? :facepalm:

If your discovery here is that Qbs need protection and some decent skill position players, welcome to the NFL, Columbus.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
actually it is....out of nowhere was the argument....
The argument was the 49ers came out of nowhere . I don’t recall the word dominant ?

And it is like I said I could present an argument that they were basically a play or two from not even winning their division if they had lost to Seattle a second time.Would have had to win 3 on the road and season could have ended much differently.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So whats Dak's excuse? Dak has a legit #1 WR, an all pro running back........great offensive line. Brady is 42 years old and played 2019 with next to nothing. Your going to try to discredit his 6 rings based on 2019? :facepalm:

If your discovery here is that Qbs need protection and some decent skill position players, welcome to the NFL, Columbus.
No one is safe from the Slobbering Daksters. They’ll bash any and everyone. It’s become laughable.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes it is but which ones are we going to criticize for going for the gold? There are no players that care about what the team can field or what they will have to do if they get their deal. They're all like Flacco, full of crap. Prescott is the same way, saying everybody can get paid. Did he take any math classes?

I don't know if pro athletes really ever cared about the team but I sure as hell know none do now. But I am not going to criticize them, I would be just like them. The system is built to support and sustain greed.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
About 80-90% of players are making closer to minimum wage. Those are the real heroes and role models in the NFL not these over paid arrogant team killing stars.

But this is a business first, promoting and selling the product takes precedence.

Without marquee talent this would become another WFL or XFL. This is showtime . Just like every great film or entertainment entity needs a leading character.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We can stop the talk that this QB needs support over others. They all need that. Starr, Unitas, Staubach, Montana, Bradshaw, Aikman, Elway, Manning and Brady, which one didn't need support? Too many give it all to Brady and don't consider the D's and DC he's had. That D didn't show up in the playoffs like it has in the past.

The top 100 players of the first 100 years, most of them were on those teams with those QB's.

Is it easier with QB's like that than with Dilfer and Johnson? Sure, but to assume a QB that plays as well as Prescott does and is a very good ball protector, and he really worked on his pocket presence with the fumbles he had the previous season, can't win it all is just bias against the QB.

Would it be easier if the Cowboys had Mahomes? Yes but only one team has him and I don't see a lot like him available. The "don't pay him that much' crowd, who do you want to pay? Where is he? Bring some real options, and going for Burrow or Tua or waiting for Lawrence are not realistic options unless you want to play that lose now to win later mentality. And does Brady fit this offense and is Bridgewater an improvement over Prescott. It is as much about a lack of options as it is this QB and he and his agent know it.

There is no leverage with this FO, none. They will either tag him or sign him. They blink and will again and it is unknown as to the overall effect of his deal on the team at this time.

And there is one thing to consider about this QB that I have not seen with Goff, Garoppolo, Wentz, Watson and even Ryan, Brady, Rivers and Brees. He improved from 2018 to 2019 with a change in coaching. I believe this is an upgrade in coaching and keeping his whisperer is a plus as well. This is a player that works to get better, do you think we've seen the best he has to offer yet?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
About 80-90% of players are making closer to minimum wage. Those are the real heroes and role models in the NFL not these over paid arrogant team killing stars.

But this is a business first, promoting and selling the product takes precedence.

Without marquee talent this would become another WFL or XFL. This is showtime . Just like every great film or entertainment entity needs a leading character.
The NFL is no different than any other pro sport. It is all about the stars, what isn't?

bsbellomy

Reaction score
I don't think MM has the flexibility of just starting over. Jerry isn't about to put off any chance at a potential run for any future gains. MM is better off to believe in his own ability to get the very most out of Prescott and make a run with him.

I think you'll see Dak signed. Amari signed. And I would bet you see a big name free agent or two. Future salary cap be damned. Jerry's going to fire a punt gun at this thing...this year. I think it's all or nothing for Jerry this late in his game.

Maybe not but if you cripple your ability to build a team because of a massive contract your boat sinks anyway.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
We can stop the talk that this QB needs support over others. They all need that. Starr, Unitas, Staubach, Montana, Bradshaw, Aikman, Elway, Manning and Brady, which one didn't need support? Too many give it all to Brady and don't consider the D's and DC he's had. That D didn't show up in the playoffs like it has in the past.

The top 100 players of the first 100 years, most of them were on those teams with those QB's.

Is it easier with QB's like that than with Dilfer and Johnson? Sure, but to assume a QB that plays as well as Prescott does and is a very good ball protector, and he really worked on his pocket presence with the fumbles he had the previous season, can't win it all is just bias against the QB.

Would it be easier if the Cowboys had Mahomes? Yes but only one team has him and I don't see a lot like him available. The "don't pay him that much' crowd, who do you want to pay? Where is he? Bring some real options, and going for Burrow or Tua or waiting for Lawrence are not realistic options unless you want to play that lose now to win later mentality. And does Brady fit this offense and is Bridgewater an improvement over Prescott. It is as much about a lack of options as it is this QB and he and his agent know it.

There is no leverage with this FO, none. They will either tag him or sign him. They blink and will again and it is unknown as to the overall effect of his deal on the team at this time.

And there is one thing to consider about this QB that I have not seen with Goff, Garoppolo, Wentz, Watson and even Ryan, Brady, Rivers and Brees. He improved from 2018 to 2019 with a change in coaching. I believe this is an upgrade in coaching and keeping his whisperer is a plus as well. This is a player that works to get better, do you think we've seen the best he has to offer yet?

If we learned anything from last year, it should be that this team is not close to competing for a championship. They just aren't and were just dreadful with the exception of the Rams the entire second half of the season.

I know we won't because McCarthy isn't someone you bring in for a rebuild, but we aren't winning anything with this team the way it's constructed anytime soon.