The Dallas Cowboys are the Alex Smith-era Chiefs

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Perhaps, but it's not quite that simple. But, now that the team has such a similar build (albeit, given the FO, probably accidentally) to the Kansas City Chiefs and such a similar set of trends of late to the Chiefs, the time has come to buck the 34+ year trend that we have of not taking a first round QB. Now, whether the FO sees it or not is a different story. Then again, they might accidently stumble into Penix (kinda like how they stumbled into Parsons). If they do and allow him to develop as I suggest, we could become an NFC dead ringer for the current Chiefs.
Whatever man don't care anymore and feel bad for you as you've never had the joy of watching the Cowboys win a Superbowl.
GL young man..........

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Counter argument, QB contracts then are not what they are now. I know the money part, but you do have to pay a lot for a quality QB, and it's why I made the point about having some sort of out in the contract for moving on from Dak when Penix is ready to play. We will see this year or next year (as they may opt for an olineman in round 1 this year) if they see what I see.
To put things in perspective Prime Aaron Rodgers was making 22 million a year back then. Alex Smith was making 17.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Sure, and one difference is that the Chiefs went and got Mahomes. Penix should, by all accounts that I've read, be there when we are picking. Hence why I think the FO may stumble into our version of Mahomes by accident similar to how they stumbled into Parsons.
I’ve seen Penix as high as 2 to the Commanders. It’s funny though I like Penix but he too is coming off his own choke job…..

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Hunt doesn’t crave the spotlight and notoriety like Jerry. He lets his GM make the moves and will hold accountable if it fails.

Sure, but, the Joneses sometimes stumble into the right answer without realising it. Perhaps we get lucky and Penix or Caleb Williams falls to us and we end up getting Mahomes 2.0.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well, Mahomes wasn't highly rated coming out of college. Maybe Penix or Caleb Williams fall to us and we can stumble into our own Mahomes.
I don’t think either is falling. Caleb Williams who also struggles against tough competition is gonna be the 1st overall pick. Maye probably 2nd. Nix, Daniels and Penix could all top 20 picks….there’s about 8 teams who need quarterbacks in the top 10….just don’t know if they will take one. There may never be another Mahomes. Caleb gets compared to him and I have no idea why. But I don’t need someone good as Mahomes. Hell I’d take another Dak on a rookie deal. I like the luxury of a rookie deal at quarterback.

cowboys1732

Reaction score
Hunt doesn’t crave the spotlight and notoriety like Jerry. He lets his GM make the moves and will hold accountable if it fails.
I live in KC and was just getting ready to say the same. You rarely ever hear the Hunt name when it comes to the day to day football operations in the media. It’s all about the coaches and players.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Whatever man don't care anymore and feel bad for you as you've never had the joy of watching the Cowboys win a Superbowl.
GL young man..........

I know that I haven't, and I understand your sentiment. That said, hopefully the Joneses can stumble on Mahomes Jr. with either Penix or Caleb Williams dropping to us. If they or some QB that is unexpected that has a surprising set of camps and combines that forces us to take a second look, maybe the Joneses accidentally find Mahomes Jr.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don’t think either is falling. Caleb Williams who also struggles against tough competition is gonna be the 1st overall pick. Maye probably 2nd. Nix, Daniels and Penix could all top 20 picks….there’s about 8 teams who need quarterbacks in the top 10….just don’t know if they will take one. There may never be another Mahomes. Caleb gets compared to him and I have no idea why. But I don’t need someone good as Mahomes. Hell I’d take another Dak on a rookie deal. I like the luxury of a rookie deal at quarterback.

Right, but that's why I'm saying that the Joneses might accidently end up in a position where they find the next QB and can develop him similar to how the Chiefs developed Mahomes. If they can, who knows what happens.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sure, but, the Joneses sometimes stumble into the right answer without realising it. Perhaps we get lucky and Penix or Caleb Williams falls to us and we end up getting Mahomes 2.0.
Penix might fall, depending on the QB run but Caleb will be #1. Even if Penix falls to Dallas, they won’t draft him.

HMJYay

Reaction score
Sure, and one difference is that the Chiefs went and got Mahomes. Penix should, by all accounts that I've read, be there when we are picking. Hence why I think the FO may stumble into our version of Mahomes by accident similar to how they stumbled into Parsons.
That would be awesome. Here’s to you being correct :).

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
That would be awesome. Here’s to you being correct :).
I certainly hope that it's right. I mean, it lines up. In fact with what I found when I was digging around the Cowboys offseason activity and the draft, the trading of Lance could signal that a QB selection may take place. It would lineup with how the Cowboys operate, ironically. I found that the 2022 signings frequently mirrored what happened in the draft. 2023 was similar too,.to an extent. Based on trends, I would hope that it means that a QB is likely to be selected this year. If that's the case, I hope it's Penix.

Wildcat711

Reaction score
I know that I haven't, and I understand your sentiment. That said, hopefully the Joneses can stumble on Mahomes Jr. with either Penix or Caleb Williams dropping to us. If they or some QB that is unexpected that has a surprising set of camps and combines that forces us to take a second look, maybe the Joneses accidentally find Mahomes Jr.
I like your posts because you try to come up with ideas.

But.. The Jones family haven't "stumbled" onto to anything for nearly 3 decades.. so I wouldn't hold out too much hope mate.