CFZ The Dallas Cowboys were in the bottom 5 NFL teams to spend money

raven55

Reaction score
for now because mindless go out there like morons buy his tickets which right now are over priced as they shouldn't be. buy his products, support a team that can't get out of its own way, and so on. not to forget a quarterback that can't get out of his own way. a coach that doesn't know when to call a time out, there a laundry list of problems that even if we had the cap space there just is no solving anything besides the owner is a problem in itself. i have been watching this team from the 70's on but they have turned into the old cinn. bengals and there not righting this ship in the future just floating along so happy 20 drafts from now because that's the only time every body will smile

SoBlue128

Reaction score
The line in sand of do not cross has been moved a little further. I’ve always been pro Cowboys which includes QB1. Nothing would thrill me more than to see him succeed and prove everyone wrong. I’m waiting, and it’s all we can do because he isn’t going anywhere. A new scheme, new offense with a different coordinator and if it’s another failure even @CowboyRoy has to question QB1. Not a shot at ya brother but it really has to make you think if he can’t rise up. I’m hoping he can we shall see.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The sting of losing ONCE AGAIN and not even getting to a NFC title game lingers on. While the Cowboys, Commanders and Lions are the only teams not playing in a NFC title game in 30 years, getting Dan Quinn does remove some of that "ouch".

While the crucifying of Dak Prescott continues, lets just say the obvious what majority of Dallas fans have been saying......The real problem is the GM

Pride goes before destruction as the bible states and this statement can't be more true. Jerry Jones is one stubborn / prideful man. The examples are many and one big one is that Jimmy Johnson is in the Hall of Fame but not in the Ring of Honor.

With that said, the Eagles spent in the offseason, while the Cowboys got cheap. Removed Amari Cooper for a James Washington which was one of the big stupid things Jones has done. This team really had no WR2 or WR3. Gallup played like a WR4 and Noah Brown was barely a WR3.
And like at the end of the season when Jerry Jones was searching frantically to find a CB2 off the street, the same was true trying to find that WR2 off the street also.

So to my post of BOTTOM 5....the Dallas Cowboys were in the bottom 5 NFL teams to spend money and though this team actually got further than last season with at least a single playoff win, the cheapest of Jerry Jones showed up and it has been bash Prescott Festival. Rightly so but when you really only have one WR to throw too (yes, Prescott had WR open and/or he forced or couldn't see the field) PLUS a RB that could only get you 2 yards and a cloud of dust, the weapons were limited.

I thought this team could get to a Superbowl with Romo and obviously didn't happen. I had that same position with Prescott. Don't get rid of him because you can't with this salary. This isn't the NBA where you can swoop contracts for another QB. Dak is not Burrow or Mahomes, but still believe this team can get to a SB with Dak IF IF IF you get him weapons and a BETTER OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR !

This team still runs the Jason Garrett type offense and as opposing teams say, the Cowboys are very predictable. The offense runs GIMMICK plays and has no anchor to go to when necessary. The Cowboys of the 90s ran the LEAD DRAW and it was their bread and butter when they needed it, this team needs an offensive identity and not gimmicks

Which is one of the reasons that I'm gutted. We had the team. All we needed was one WR that we could rely on instead of James Washington, and a NT like Linval Joseph, and I think we'd have been going to the Super Bowl. I'm just...as a young fan gutted. After watching SFO play against Philly, I'm convinced we could've played better against Philly. We had a team that matched well with them.

SoBlue128

Reaction score
for now because mindless go out there like morons buy his tickets which right now are over priced as they shouldn't be. buy his products, support a team that can't get out of its own way, and so on. not to forget a quarterback that can't get out of his own way. a coach that doesn't know when to call a time out, there a laundry list of problems that even if we had the cap space there just is no solving anything besides the owner is a problem in itself. i have been watching this team from the 70's on but they have turned into the old cinn. bengals and there not righting this ship in the future just floating along so happy 20 drafts from now because that's the only time every body will smile
Not buying merchandise or going to games is a pebble of where the money is generated. Wanna really make a difference? Stop watching, TV revenues is the cash cow

Mannix

Reaction score
The sting of losing ONCE AGAIN and not even getting to a NFC title game lingers on. While the Cowboys, Commanders and Lions are the only teams not playing in a NFC title game in 30 years, getting Dan Quinn does remove some of that "ouch".

While the crucifying of Dak Prescott continues, lets just say the obvious what majority of Dallas fans have been saying......The real problem is the GM

Pride goes before destruction as the bible states and this statement can't be more true. Jerry Jones is one stubborn / prideful man. The examples are many and one big one is that Jimmy Johnson is in the Hall of Fame but not in the Ring of Honor.

With that said, the Eagles spent in the offseason, while the Cowboys got cheap. Removed Amari Cooper for a James Washington which was one of the big stupid things Jones has done. This team really had no WR2 or WR3. Gallup played like a WR4 and Noah Brown was barely a WR3.
And like at the end of the season when Jerry Jones was searching frantically to find a CB2 off the street, the same was true trying to find that WR2 off the street also.

So to my post of BOTTOM 5....the Dallas Cowboys were in the bottom 5 NFL teams to spend money and though this team actually got further than last season with at least a single playoff win, the cheapest of Jerry Jones showed up and it has been bash Prescott Festival. Rightly so but when you really only have one WR to throw too (yes, Prescott had WR open and/or he forced or couldn't see the field) PLUS a RB that could only get you 2 yards and a cloud of dust, the weapons were limited.

I thought this team could get to a Superbowl with Romo and obviously didn't happen. I had that same position with Prescott. Don't get rid of him because you can't with this salary. This isn't the NBA where you can swoop contracts for another QB. Dak is not Burrow or Mahomes, but still believe this team can get to a SB with Dak IF IF IF you get him weapons and a BETTER OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR !

This team still runs the Jason Garrett type offense and as opposing teams say, the Cowboys are very predictable. The offense runs GIMMICK plays and has no anchor to go to when necessary. The Cowboys of the 90s ran the LEAD DRAW and it was their bread and butter when they needed it, this team needs an offensive identity and not gimmicks
Seriously dude…post more often!

Creeper

Reaction score
The Cowboys do not spend money on free agents. That's the way it has been and I don't think it will change. Instead, they overpay their own players. We have rehashed this a millions times. He over-payed Zeke, Lawrence and Dak and now the team is suffering with limited CAP space. Until Jerry changes his ways the Cowboys will get close but never over the hump. And what is odd is it took getting Charles Haley and Deion Sanders to get them over the hump in the 1990s. Jerry seems to have forgotten that.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
when jerry kicks off it gonna get a little tighter on money jerry junior doesn't like spending money on players his big move is loose women on the bus and his daddy's bi boat that's his priority and so goes this team.
Stephen won't have the "I at least hired Jimmy and we were winners before my ego took over and destroyed everything" excuse that Jerry has.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So to my post of BOTTOM 5....the Dallas Cowboys were in the bottom 5 NFL teams to spend money
Give us some context. How much did the #1 team spend? The #10 team? The #20 team? The #32 team?

Is there a noticeable difference between the teams who spent more, or are we splitting hairs?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The line in sand of do not cross has been moved a little further. I’ve always been pro Cowboys which includes QB1. Nothing would thrill me more than to see him succeed and prove everyone wrong. I’m waiting, and it’s all we can do because he isn’t going anywhere. A new scheme, new offense with a different coordinator and if it’s another failure even @CowboyRoy has to question QB1. Not a shot at ya brother but it really has to make you think if he can’t rise up. I’m hoping he can we shall see.
It’s not about failure it’s who failed and why. Losing to a better niners team is not failure.

SoBlue128

Reaction score
It’s not about failure it’s who failed and why. Losing to a better niners team is not failure.
That’s where we disagree and that’s okay and what makes these boards fun is different opinions. I believe we are just as good as the Niners and could beat them 5 out of ten times. Dak just had a bad game even by his own admission. For all the hate he gets he isn’t as bad as he is made out to be. I think he gets put in situations that don’t utilize his best abilities. I’m hoping with the new offense they install it’s more catered to his strengths and if so he will change the negative narrative that he is this or that.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen is cheap. Always has been remember Stephen is the one who slammed jerry his own dad against the wall and told him not sign Deion cuz it would break the franchise for years to come
I do not remember his slamming his father against the wall, anymore than him doing that during the Manziel draft. Eyewitnesses said that never happened and would not happen.

I do not like either of them, but there is a SEC special called "Before They Were Cowboys" about Booger and Johnson in college and at one point the son is interviewed about his father. That is not a man that would slam his father up against the wall.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The Eagles were certainly more aggressive than Dallas.

After that is gets pretty fuzzy.
Dallas is not sitting fat and happy with cap resources by any means.
It's not like they aren't paying players.
But their method does essentially lose players NOW to recoup FUTURE draft picks and by having many draft picks and drafting well so they want to pay their own guys so their money is spent internally.
Reality is this is a GOOD management policy.

It really is.

BUT, it's not as exciting or rewarding as hitting the Million plus lottery.

Year after year of falling short says this is a really tough way to win a title.
At the same time Dallas lost CB2, CB3, LT1, RT1. Not an ideal way to win a title.

So why did Philly shoot their shot this year?
Because they had a QB in year 3 on a rookie contract.
They knew he was going to cost A LOT more soon OR have to be replaced.
They made the Carson Wentz move.
Said we have a cheapo QB, lets go all in.
Can't argue with the results.... this year.
When they did this 4-5 years ago they beat Tom Brady ina Super Bowl.
I hated their odds but they beat the house and gratz to them for it.
BUT would I now bet on them to beat KC and Mahomes?
Or is it another long shot?
Doesn't appear so at all.
KC lost a ton of players through the playoff grind.
Philly is currently favored by 2. points.
So I'd say their method has been pretty darn successful.

But recall they basically destroyed Wentz career.
Post SB they were in cap hades.
They had aging guys they couldn't get rid of, they had to let them play 8 games a year at high prices.
But they did turn it around in 4 years and immediately went for it again.
It is a wild model but it appears to be a very successful one.
The question is do they also destroy Hurts career than try to find another QB in the draft for cheap?
And if you miss is it now a 6-8 year wait to reload between title runs?
Very hard to argue with the Eagles results.
But IMO not sure it is a model I'd ever recommend.

But back to Dallas.
If you have been following a great long-term strategy and have benefitted by winning divisions regularly but been DOA in playoffs do you ever go for it???
That's the real question.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That’s where we disagree and that’s okay and what makes these boards fun is different opinions. I believe we are just as good as the Niners and could beat them 5 out of ten times. Dak just had a bad game even by his own admission. For all the hate he gets he isn’t as bad as he is made out to be. I think he gets put in situations that don’t utilize his best abilities. I’m hoping with the new offense they install it’s more catered to his strengths and if so he will change the negative narrative that he is this or that.
5 out of 10? Yah not there. We can’t run the ball on them with zeke. pollard going down lost all hope. Last year it was the defense this year it was the offense.

I would go with 3 out of 10. Without pollard 1 out of 10.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

but but but, we are the most valued franchise in sports anywhere....so we got that going for us

DFWJC

Reaction score
Stephen is cheap. Always has been remember Stephen is the one who slammed jerry his own dad against the wall and told him not sign Deion cuz it would break the franchise for years to come
:lmao:
Now that is a lie

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The Eagles were certainly more aggressive than Dallas.

After that is gets pretty fuzzy.
Dallas is not sitting fat and happy with cap resources by any means.
It's not like they aren't paying players.
But their method does essentially lose players NOW to recoup FUTURE draft picks and by having many draft picks and drafting well so they want to pay their own guys so their money is spent internally.
Reality is this is a GOOD management policy.

It really is.

BUT, it's not as exciting or rewarding as hitting the Million plus lottery.

Year after year of falling short says this is a really tough way to win a title.
At the same time Dallas lost CB2, CB3, LT1, RT1. Not an ideal way to win a title.

So why did Philly shoot their shot this year?
Because they had a QB in year 3 on a rookie contract.
They knew he was going to cost A LOT more soon OR have to be replaced.
They made the Carson Wentz move.
Said we have a cheapo QB, lets go all in.
Can't argue with the results.... this year.
When they did this 4-5 years ago they beat Tom Brady ina Super Bowl.
I hated their odds but they beat the house and gratz to them for it.
BUT would I now bet on them to beat KC and Mahomes?
Or is it another long shot?
Doesn't appear so at all.
KC lost a ton of players through the playoff grind.
Philly is currently favored by 2. points.
So I'd say their method has been pretty darn successful.

But recall they basically destroyed Wentz career.
Post SB they were in cap hades.
They had aging guys they couldn't get rid of, they had to let them play 8 games a year at high prices.
But they did turn it around in 4 years and immediately went for it again.
It is a wild model but it appears to be a very successful one.
The question is do they also destroy Hurts career than try to find another QB in the draft for cheap?
And if you miss is it now a 6-8 year wait to reload between title runs?
Very hard to argue with the Eagles results.
But IMO not sure it is a model I'd ever recommend.

But back to Dallas.
If you have been following a great long-term strategy and have benefitted by winning divisions regularly but been DOA in playoffs do you ever go for it???

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Say what you want, I'm actually proud of the team for not mortgaging the future like the Rams did.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Given the fact they didn't spend money, and still end up in the semi-final rounds of the playoffs is freaking impressive.

We didn't win the Super Bowl. But 31 other teams also won't win it.

raven55

Reaction score
that's for now but the future isn't looking bright. And that 49 mil that's up againist the cap well all the money that this franchise is worth is in the back pocket of jerry not the fans