The Dark Knight Rises *Spoiler Thread*

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
EMMITTnROY;4630053 said:
Hey, thanks! Glad you enjoyed. :D

You agree with most of it?

Yeah, but it's a movie. The movie is about a guy in a bat costume taking out bad guys.

I enjoyed it.

I laughed because most of your points were true.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Aikmaniac;4630082 said:
Yeah, but it's a movie. The movie is about a guy in a bat costume taking out bad guys.

I enjoyed it.

I laughed because most of your points were true.

The movie is about a billionaire who is not a nerd, but rather a guy who is athletic enough to beat up bad guys. You have to supsend reality because Bill Gates isn't capable of doing that.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
Here are the reasons why I thought "The Dark Knight Rises" was lame. I'm not just blindly hating it. Hey, I gave "Batman Begins" an 8/10 and "The Dark Knight" a 9/10. But this one I had soooo many issues with. The Nolan-directed Batman movies are supposed to be the "realistic" superhero movies, yet I found myself having to suspend my disbelief over and over and over again.

1. Bruce Wayne has a broken back, with a vertebrae even sticking out... and he is healed by some guy punching him in the back? A couple months later he is climbing up walls and making impossible jumps?
Comic book story which needed the recovery to fit the countdown of the bomb.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
2. Speaking of jumps, how incredibly cheesy and coincidental that all those bats flew by just as he was about to "Rise" out of that prison.
You never know where those crazy nocturnal creatures are going to pop up.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
3. So you're telling me that a little girl makes that jump when no grown men can? And the reason is cause she had the willpower? Ridiculous.
She was more aerodynamic.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
4. So this is the most impossible prison ever to escape... yet they readily provide you rope to help you try to climb out of? And there's no security at the top of the hole if you do escape?
Those old world prisons have inflated reputations. Rope is cheap on the prison black market. They don't pay security guards enough to stand around in those kind of conditions at the hole's exit all day.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
5. If you have all that rope readily available, why are these prisoners not repeatedly trying to make that jump over and over and over? Why wait to do it once every few months?
They are very hesitant about recovering from back injuries sustained from rope snapping after dropping. They know there is a good chance that creepy semi-blind guy will come sit next to them while they get better.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
6. So Talia hated her dad- but for some reason, she wanted to complete his work?
Assassins are single-minded.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
7. Hated the coincidence of Gordon putting the deactivator or whatever it was in place one instant before she hits the trigger.
There's nothing like coincidences.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
8. Hated the coincidence of Selina showing up right in time to shoot Bane right as he was about to kill Batman.
Bane had it coming.
EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
9. Hated the coincidence of Selina and Bruce Wayne just happening to show up at same place, same time, just in time to save a thief kid from getting beat up.
Their iPhone GPS's were synchronized.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
10. So Batman and Bane are are humans, yet are breaking columns with their punches?
Dr. Banner secretly injected them with a gamma ray serum.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
11. So Batman is a human, yet he’s kicking a brick wall and breaking it with a hobbled leg?
Cybornetic (sp?) leg support.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
12. So Batman took the time to make a design a HUGE bat out of fire when the city is on a time crunch to get blown up?
Batplane. Lighter fluid. Pressured liquid spraying system. Shazam.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
13. How come Gordon, Batman and friends could walk on that breaking ice and have a whole freaking casual conversation there?
They are the epitome of cool customers.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
14. So Batman, a human, can now apparently dodge machine gun bullets at close range, in the dark?
Neo was very envious.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
15. So Bruce Wayne and Batman, the two most visible and famous Gotham citizens, both disappeared at the exact same time eight years ago, and both reappear at the exact same time eight years later... and nobody puts this together?
Lois Lane works in Metropolis, not Gotham City.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
16. So Bruce left Gotham to train for many years… then he came back... then he was gone for 8 years… then he is in a prison for several months... then he retires as Batman... so how long was he actually Batman? A year or two? Isn't Bruce Wayne is supposed to be in his 30s?
Alfred told Wayne for years it was a simple hot tub, but it was really Ra's al ghud's fountain of youth.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
17. I thought this was a Batman movie.. how come we hardly saw any Batman at all?
Adam West kept kidnapping Bale from the movie set at very inopportune moments. He's still very disgruntled about not reprising the role.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
18. Why the heck was Talia/Bane waiting months to detonate the bomb? What was the point? If she really wanted to kill all of them, why not just do it?
They're sadists. Who knew?

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
19. They show a shot of Bruce Wayne’s pictures of dead parents and dead girlfriend… then is asked out of nowhere at that exact moment, “where is Alfred?” to which he replies “he’s gone”... all heavy handedly hammer the point home that he’s alone now and to try to manipulate sympathy from the audience.
Nolan wanted to insert an "awwww" into audio, but they couldn't fit the expense for the sound effect into the movie's budget.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
20. And as he’s looking sadly at his dead girlfriend's picture, he starts passionately kissing this woman he just met out of nowhere… and they have sex.
Assassins have sex appeal that's out of this world.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
21. And by the end of the movie, he has hooked up with a completely different woman and spends his life with her… someone who was a thief the entire movie.
Selina stole Wayne's heart.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
22. The disposition about Clean Slate was hilarious— a character totally explaining what it is in an unbelievable way so the audience knows what it is. "Clean Slate?? You mean the bla bla bla that bla bla bla??" with a gun to his head to a person who already knows what it is, why else would she want it?
She was desperate to escape from her Single White Female thief friend.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
23. I couldn’t understand half of what Bayne said.
Coincidentally, other moviegoers had difficult understanding Bane too.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
24. Why did Alfred have to leave? He was concerned, and made up a lie (or was it?) about his Rachel, cause he knew that would make Bruce kick him out? Even though he’s cared for him forever? And Bruce knew he was doing it to protect him, and yet he was still forced to leave? None of this made sense.
Butlers. Can't live them. Can't live without them.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
25. So only 4 people showed up at the city's most famous citizen’s funeral?
The city elite blacklisted Wayne after he threw them out of the mansion in Batman Begins. The power of Facebook.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
26. I thought the bomb killed anything within a 6 mile radius? The city probably wasn’t six miles away when it exploded. And Batman, even if he put the thing on autopilot, most certainly wasn't 6 miles away.
The bomb was dropped below the surface of Gotham Bay moments before detonation. Comic book physics can explain about the details of the blast.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
27. On top of Bale's Batman voice being grating, he wouldn't ever close his mouth any time he was Batman. Also grating on the nerves.
Bale had a no-throat lozenge contract written into his contract. Nolan was not pleased.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
28. Why the heck did Bane or Talia give a crap about Gotham? Neither of them are from there. Why is it so important to blow it up and make its citizens pay? If it's revenge on Batman, why, because he killed Talia's dad... the same person she hates and who Bane hates for excommunicating him? On that note, why is Bane so loyal to a organization that kicked him out?
The Gotham City Convention Center rejected the League Of Assassin's request to host them one time too many. Assassins care about the people they kill. The League held the warranty on Bane's respirator. They're very sadistic.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
29. How come Bruce Wayne gets his power cut off the same night he loses his money? Was he already a month behind on his electric bill at this point? No.
It's not Mr. Burns fault. Homer did it.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
30. How did Bruce Wayne come up with the Clean Slate program?
He stole it from Tony Stark. Billionaires. They may be rich, but they suck at keeping their own stuff.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
31. So when Batman is surrounded on the bridge, there is just conveniently one of those car carrying trucks there that he just happens to fire perfectly at for the ramp to fall down so he can conveniently drive up to the fortunately placed streets.
Truck drivers are always minding their own business when thirty patrol cars show up out of the blue and create instant gridiron traffic. They should sue.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
32. How come Bruce Wayne can barely walk with a cane, yet he can dance like Fred Astaire without one?
Steriod injections. Straight into the knees. Nolan edited out all the cursing when the needles went in.

EMMITTnROY;4629972 said:
33. How did Bruce make it back to Gotham from the prison? He has no money, and all the bridges into Gotham were collapsed.
Ethan Hunt owed him big time. Best travel agent in the world.

KoRnyBrad

I am the Bat!
Reaction score
Nice EMMITTnROY and DallasEast. Good points Emmitt and great responses Dallas.:lmao2::clap:

Reaction score
Nolan said he's done with the movies after this one. Chris Nolan has way too much money already for anybody to be able to convince him to make another Batman movie just with a boat of cash.

I love his trilogy, but I personally hope he gets back to originals, because Memento and Inception are both great films, and he does movies a bit differently than any other director out there. He's one of my favorite directors/writers, with PT Anderson.

I hope he keeps working with Tom Hardy, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Marion Cotillard, because they were all good in Inception and DKR.

Total side note: But anybody who wants to see more of Tom Hardy who played Bane, if you have Netflix instant streaming, watch Bronson. Hardy puts in a show in that movie.

Edit: side note, but wikipedia for people like Christian Bale or anything that isn't super minor is far more accurate than you'd think. Go try to edit Christian Bale's wiki page to have some crazy statement on it, and see how long it lasts. The answer will be not long at all.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
The 2nd time I saw TDKR it kind of makes sense as to why Miranda has sex w/ Bruce.

She made him just that much weaker before his 1st fight w/ Bane.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
just watched it.

am i the only one who thought the ending where they show bruce wayne could be seen as alfred just seeing things? he did say earlier while bruce wayne was gone training he would go there and see him there with a family, yet it wasn't him. i thought nolan left it up in the air and it could go both ways, he lived or died.

Reaction score
I think you're on your own with that. Alfred said he always imagined him, but it wouldn't be him, and they showed him there and showed the guy turn his head and it was of course not Bruce, earlier in the movie.

It would make no sense whatsoever for them to end it with him hallucinating him, after they made it clear Bruce had fixed the auto pilot and all that.

If Nolan wanted it to end with mystery he would've Inception'ed us and ended it with Alfred looking up and smiling and then cutting to credits. No way did he show Bruce there with Selina but it's a hallucination. Chris Nolan is faaaaar too good a screenwriter for that kind of bizarro shenanigan.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Joshmvii;4630439 said:
It would make no sense whatsoever for them to end it with him hallucinating him, after they made it clear Bruce had fixed the auto pilot and all that.

Good point, for some reason I thought they disabled the auto-pilot. If what you said is true then I'm definitely on my own but making my way back toward the rest of you.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
a_minimalist;4630411 said:
just watched it.

am i the only one who thought the ending where they show bruce wayne could be seen as alfred just seeing things? he did say earlier while bruce wayne was gone training he would go there and see him there with a family, yet it wasn't him. i thought nolan left it up in the air and it could go both ways, he lived or died.

I hadn't thought of that... maybe that might be the case in Inception but I took this ending literally.

EMMITTnROY's complaints boil down to one complaint, he didn't find it believable. That's one complaint, not 33. I just find it funny that you waited till this one to refuse to believe elements of the story that have been there the entire series.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
TheCount;4630460 said:
I hadn't thought of that... maybe that might be the case in Inception but I took this ending literally.

Yeah, it seems like that's how it should be interpreted.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
Aikmaniac, haha, yeah I know it. I guess my problem stems from the fact that fans say that these are kind of above the level of most comic book movies. Like these are realistic, real-world crime epics, and kind of point their noses down at movies like Spider-Man and The Avengers. So if you are going to hold yourself to a higher standard, then I have to judge it that way.

DallasEast, hahahahaha!! Well played, good sir. Well played. I laughed out loud. :D

TheCount, yeah, I just didn't find it believable. I don't know, this time there were just too many unbelievable things. Maybe I'm not remembering Batman Begins and The Dark Knight well enough, but I don't remember having to suspend my disbelief so often with those two.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Teren_Kanan;4629496 said:
Meh. There was a lot I liked about the movie, and a lot I didn't.

It lost some consistency in the middle of the movie.
All the mass rioting fighting stuff was horrible.

Also, while I liked the twist towards the end, I had problems with it as well. Bane going from the boss to the henchman weakened his character a lot for me.

Ending would have been 10000x better if Bats stayed dead.

I think it would have made the story completely pointless.

The guy fights through hell on earth for 3 entire movies and it's an "autopilot" feature that is his undoing?

Talk about taking a bit fat poop on a nice delicious filet mignon.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Are people really going to the movies for a dose of reality?

Please tell me nobody goes to the movies looking for a glimpse of the real world.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Joshmvii;4630347 said:
Nolan said he's done with the movies after this one. Chris Nolan has way too much money already for anybody to be able to convince him to make another Batman movie just with a boat of cash.

That could all change if he ever goes through a divorce. :laugh1:

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I guess the question is...was Batman in The Bat which took the bomb out to sea or was he in a spare flying off somewhere else?

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Could be that Alfred was on roofies and hallucinating when he saw Wayne.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Joe Rod;4630958 said:
Could be that Alfred was on roofies and hallucinating when he saw Wayne.

I don't think that makes sense in light of Lucious finding out the autopilot was fixed months prior.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
a_minimalist;4630411 said:
just watched it.

That theory could be debunked due to the fact he would have little to no inclination that Wayne would eventually come to date catwoman and even deeper during his earlier fantasy the male was sitting back towards him while in the reality Wayne was looking at him.