Twitter: The deal Dak turned down, new details

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I am not a fan of the franchise tag, but the NFLPA agreed to it so I don't blame NFL teams for not agreeing to something like that.

It's simple really .. if it is that important to the players, make the NFLPA refuse any CBA with it by trading something else the NFL wants instead.
If i led the cba talks i would concede more practice time and give up about 5% of the $$, but in return, 3 preseason games, no franchise tags, guaranteed contracts, and no weed testing. anything other than that I'm walking.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If i led the cba talks i would concede more practice time and give up about 5% of the $$, but in return, 3 preseason games, no franchise tags, guaranteed contracts, and no weed testing. anything other than that I'm walking.
I think 2 preseason games are enough or maybe 2 preseason games and an organized two team scrimmage.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I am not a fan of the franchise tag, but the NFLPA agreed to it so I don't blame NFL teams for not agreeing to something like that.

It's simple really .. if it is that important to the players, make the NFLPA refuse any CBA with it by trading something else the NFL wants instead.

Don't agree to it and then try to get out of it.

This is all true. But then again, Dak did nothing wrong in asking for it to be waived, to accept the 5 year deal. The Jones’ said no. And so Dak said no.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Their not. Seriously. Watch a full game of any of them.

watson maybe but he runs far too hot and cold
So is Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, russel Wilson, Lamar Jackson, Mahomes, even like Josh Allen better than DAK. DAK is a 50/50 QB. Top 15 in the NFL

not a 40mil QB and not a 35Mil QB. He is a Kirk Cousin in a Cowboy uniform and that’s not a bad thing. He can still get the job done just don’t expect to win championships

blueblood70

Reaction score
dont fn care anymore this is solely the Jones's decsions and whatever they choose to do is their business if they pay more who the f truly cares. If they trade him who cares this is their team and no one in here owns a team or have any FO nfl experience and that goes for the media..stop telling the Jones' they made mistake..they know exactly what they are doing even if it cost more..there a reason they are at this stalemate with no deal and every player that needed to be signed got signed with no issue..

its not that they are cheap or stupid , Dak and his agent have made it difficult and the Jonses have decided to wait.. it is what it is,,

Daks not exactly out there proving them wrong, not sure why all the hype on his deal.. he will be cowboys this year and possibly next..after that we either sign him or go anther route..

sometimes change is good..

im over it

Cowboys22

Reaction score
That’s called a $175 million happy accident. Dak is going to prove not worth half that by the time we’re all eating turkey and stuffing.

Ken

Reaction score
After last nights game I think Jerry and Stephen might of save themselves from making a 40mil mistake with DAK. Goff looked worth the money and DAK looked like a QB struggling to get the money he wants.
May need to get your eyes checked.

Wow.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
May need to get your eyes checked.

Wow.

Goff executed the rams game to perfection. The rams won the game and DAK and the Cowboys are beat up and after a tough loss they could of won but didn’t. Excuses again

jaythecowboy

Reaction score

Don't agree to it and then try to get out of it.

I don't see any issue with it. I consider it the same way I would a no-trade clause.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Sorry but Dak isn't a 35 mil a year guy - more like a 28 mil a year. This way you ensure that he has the protection up front and the weapons he needs to succeed.

plymkr

Reaction score
im trying to remember what goff did last night to earn that money he makes.
Let me be more specific. I don't feel Dak's play lost us the game. Actually I think he made the play of the game but the refs robbed us. What I meant is if Dak wants to be payed the big money he has to perform when everything isn't perfect. We are 1-8 or something like that in games decided by one possession. Since last year's 3-0 start we are 5-9. With our 3-0 start last year we are 8-9. In games against quality teams the offense doesn't perform well. We put up 3 points in the 2nd half yesterday. I admit it's not all Dak's fault but this offense is not good. Putting more money into the same offensive players and expecting better play is not working. For the first time in Dak's career I'm really starting to have my doubts about him. I hope I'm wrong but the numbers speak for themselves. This offense is not getting it done when it counts. As bad as the defense played last night they held the Rams to 7 points in the 2nd half and we entered the 2nd half with a lead and still lost. Do we want to invest more into this offense? The offense is bad. I'm confused how to fix the offense. Maybe it's Kellen Moore. I don't know the answers but I'm not sure locking up Dak is the best idea given last year and last night.

BobbyFlame469

Reaction score
So is Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, russel Wilson, Lamar Jackson, Mahomes, even like Josh Allen better than DAK. DAK is a 50/50 QB. Top 15 in the NFL

not a 40mil QB and not a 35Mil QB. He is a Kirk Cousin in a Cowboy uniform and that’s not a bad thing. He can still get the job done just don’t expect to win championships
Everyone but josh Allen like you said is better than him.

that’s still a top 10 QB though. Personally I don’t think he’s a playmaker like the other guys you mentioned (excluding josh Allen).

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

The Cowboys' staredown with quarterback Dak Prescott was one of the dominant storylines of this unusual NFL offseason, with the mega-deal falling apart for what sources said was an unusual reason, and with the ramifications likely looming in Dallas for years.

Conversations with general managers, agents and team contract negotiators revealed a consensus about both the magnitude of the Cowboys' mistake with this negotiation -- several sources independently suggested it will cost owner Jerry Jones roughly $40M -- and general agreement about how it will impact the team in years to come. The sides did come relatively close to completing a long-term deal by the July deadline by which to extend the contract of a player on a franchise tag, but Prescott ultimately opted to play out 2020 on that tag in a move that is being heralded throughout the industry as one that will reap tremendous financial benefits for him in 2021 and beyond.

The Cowboys were insistent on a five-year salary structure for the quarterback, who had his most productive season in 2019, is surrounded by a strong supporting cast and is drawing some preseason hype as a potential MVP candidate this season. Jones has long sought to secure his top players to the longest term possible, and while Prescott's representation was intent on four years for much of the offseason, things changed near the July deadline, according to the sources. At that time Prescott would have accepted a five-year deal, worth about $35M a year, but only if it included a provision that he could not be franchise tagged at the conclusion of the deal. Jones would not agree to that language, sources said, and the deal fell through.

Since then Deshaun Watson secured a new contract extension with the Texans worth nearly $40M a season, and Patrick Mahomes, generally seen as the best player in the game, is locked in at $45M a year for the next 12 years. Barring catastrophic injury, Prescott's market value for 2021 seems pretty clear in the estimation of these GMs, agents and cap gurus: between $42M-$43M a season. The Cowboys will have no choice but to franchise tag Prescott, earning $31.4M this season, again in 2021 to secure his rights, which would lock in a $38M salary. That alone is nearly $70M for two years -- with no team control beyond 2021 -- compared to Mahomes earning $63M in the first three years of his new deal, with the Chiefs still controlling his rights into the next decade.

"No matter how you slice it, Jerry made a $40 million mistake," said one prominent agent who has negotiated top quarterback contracts but is not involved in Prescott's deal. "Just do the math. It's pretty simple. Prescott has them over a barrel."

"Based off everything I know of that situation, the Cowboys did themselves no favors," one GM offered. "Even when the cap goes up (expected perhaps by 2022 depending on COVID-19), $8 million a year is a big deal. That's like costing yourself a couple of starters or top backups at less-expensive positions. If you think you're competing for a Super Bowl, that's a big deal."

"This one seemed to get personal," another longtime NFL team exec said. "It should have been done before Watson and (Lamar) Jackson, whether it's four years or five years. And what happens if Prescott goes out and throws 40 TDs? The Cowboys were too stubborn for their own good."

"I don't know how Jerry was reading the quarterback market, but they read it all wrong," one salary negotiator said.

In reality, the likelihood of Prescott ever even reaching a point where a future franchise tag would matter in a five-year deal seemed remote to everyone I spoke to, with the changing NFL economic landscape and his performance setting up another extension by 2023 given the way QB contract dynamics normally work. And now it stands to cost the Cowboys dearly.

As owner Stephen Jones said of Prescott on his radio show on Friday, "He's bet on himself, and bet wisely."

I hear viewership was off again on Sunday. Cap is probably going down. All those "experts" seem to be ignoring that.

But going by their estimates, franchising Dak this year and next is saving us a lot of money.