The debate over Murray's worth will likely swing heavily come Sunday

Gridiron Man

"I AM GRIDIRON MAN"
Reaction score
Imagine for a moment that Randle and Dunbar burst onto the scene in Murray's absence, The talk of our offensive line being the catalyst that sprung Murray will go into over drive. It could go a long way in either parting ways with him or driving his price down.

However, if they fail to produce, then many who have sold Murray short will likely jump on the opposing bandwagon and reconsider cutting ties with him. If this were the outcome, I'd certainly hate to be either Randle or Dunbar. There would be no talk of a future with them, as it would be all about Murray or bringing in an outsider.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Imagine for a moment that Randle and Dunbar burst onto the scene in Murray's absence, The talk of our offensive line being the catalyst that sprung Murray will go into over drive. It could go a long way in either parting ways with him or driving his price down.

However, if they fail to produce, then many who have sold Murray short will likely jump on the opposing bandwagon and reconsider cutting ties with him. If this were the outcome, I'd certainly hate to be either Randle or Dunbar. There would be no talk of a future with them, as it would be all about Murray or bringing in an outsider.
Making long-term decisions about players who've been around for multiple years based on what happens in a single game is a great way to guarantee future mediocrity.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Sign him to a long term deal similar to Sean Lee's. Give the team injury insurance, but if you play full seasons and produce, you will be paid accordingly.

He has earned a lucrative contract given on his body of work. Remember a few years ago he also broke the teams single game rushing record. This year isn't a fluke. He has premier talent, it's just whether he can stay healthy over prolonged periods.

foofighters

Reaction score
Making long-term decisions about players who've been around for multiple years based on what happens in a single game is a great way to guarantee future mediocrity.

In most cases yes, but both back ups could do well. I think it speaks more to how good our line is. Murray is special but both our back ups doing well could save us money in keeping murray for next year.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
In most cases yes, but both back ups could do well. I think it speaks more to how good our line is. Murray is special but both our back ups doing well could save us money in keeping murray for next year.

I still maintain the backups are just that. They look great in short stints where they come in after the defense has been beat oin by a bugger back. The defense now has to adjust to their speed.

But put that speed out there every carry and you will find they now are not the change of pace but the featured back and their results diminish.

Not to mention short yardage when Murray pushes the pile.

DFWJC

Reaction score

Definitely this.

But the OP has a point regarding knee-jerk fandom reactions

Gridiron Man

"I AM GRIDIRON MAN"
Reaction score
Murray is playing.

I have my doubts and I'm not certain that's our best approach. I'm hoping he doesnt start and wont be needed. I still think we can give Randle and Dunbar a chance to fill in for him. If they stink it up, then have Murray ready to spell them or even take over as the featured back.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
The value of a very good-great RB is not measured by one game. Making any decision based on what happens Sunday is not sound thinking at all IMO whether Murray plays or not.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Sign him to a long term deal similar to Sean Lee's. Give the team injury insurance, but if you play full seasons and produce, you will be paid accordingly.

He has earned a lucrative contract given on his body of work. Remember a few years ago he also broke the teams single game rushing record. This year isn't a fluke. He has premier talent, it's just whether he can stay healthy over prolonged periods.

I agree with your approach, but the problem with that is it takes two to tango. I doubt Murray is willing to go with an incentive type contract. If Dallas doesn't pay him, someone out there will. He will go where the money takes him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don't see Randle or Dunbar being the answer in the long-term if Murray is lost in free agency. Murray is an every down back who's much more talented than either Dunbar or Randle which is why the other two don't see many carries. Those who think any back could do what Murray has done behind this OL over the long-term is wrong. Randle's only had 34 carries this season and has fresh legs when he comes in running against a defense that's been softened up by Murray.

He had 2 starts last season filling in for an injured Murray and averaged only 3.4 a carry vs Philly and a miserable 1.9 vs Detroit which greatly contributed to the Cowboys blowing that game in the final minute. Dunbar has only carried the ball 26 times this season and has a 3.5 average. I'm sure if Murray is unable to play and Randle and Dunbar play well everyone will be sold on both and will be ready to say bye bye to Murray. Go back to how good Troy Hambrick looked spelling Emmitt he averaged over 5 yards a carry in that role.

Fans couldn't wait to move on from Emmitt after watching Hambrock break one run after another in relief. He even had a 189 yard rushing performance vs Washington but wasn't consistent and his rushing average dropped to 3.5 once he became the starter. Murray has developed into a great back and showed flashes of what we've seen this season before this OL was even built.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
I agree with your approach, but the problem with that is it takes two to tango. I doubt Murray is willing to go with an incentive type contract. If Dallas doesn't pay him, someone out there will. He will go where the money takes him.

I think he wants to stay in Dallas. I think Dallas wants him to stay.

They just have to find a fair price that benefits both sides. Hence an incentive laden contract similar to Sean Lee. Stay healthy, and you will get paid like a top 5 RB

LandryFan

Reaction score
I still maintain the backups are just that. They look great in short stints where they come in after the defense has been beat oin by a bugger back. The defense now has to adjust to their speed.

But put that speed out there every carry and you will find they now are not the change of pace but the featured back and their results diminish.

Not to mention short yardage when Murray pushes the pile.

Can you say "Troy Hambrick"? I remember in a back up roll he always looked good when he would come in behind Emmitt. Then when he actually started, he looked like a JAG and was gone a short time later. Not saying Murray is Emmitt or that Randle is Hambrick, but backups don't always pan out the way people think they will when they take on the starting roll.

Gridiron Man

"I AM GRIDIRON MAN"
Reaction score

I'm afraid this is likely where it's headed. With or without Murray we need to ensure we have a solid running game next season. I'm just not fond of rolling the dice in the draft as some suggest. We need those picks for defense, and there is a lot of turnover around the league in proven and serviceable runningbacks that can be had cheaper than Murray, which is where we are likely headed.

LandryFan

Reaction score
I think he wants to stay in Dallas. I think Dallas wants him to stay.

They just have to find a fair price that benefits both sides. Hence an incentive laden contract similar to Sean Lee. Stay healthy, and you will get paid like a top 5 RB

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see that scenario play out. And I think you're right in that he wants to stay in Dallas and that Dallas would love to keep him. I just don't think Murray would go for that type of contract and that Jerry won't be willing to pay him what he'll get from somebody else out there. If it goes down that way, I wouldn't blame Murray for taking his payday. I could be wrong, however...wouldn't be the first time.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Since Emmitt left Jerry has made some big miscalculations when it comes to RB's. I mentioned Hambrick who Jerry was sold on a starter watching him stumble through gaping holes in relief of Emmitt. He was foolish enough to think Barber was a feature back who could do as an every down starter what he did as a fresh legged role player in relief. He gave him a lot of money then used a #1 draft pick on Felix Jones to compliment him.

Barber quickly faded once his carries increased and Felix was another back who looked terrific in relief. When the Cowboys moved on from Barber and Felix got the opportunity to start and his carries increased he looked nowhere near like he did in relief and his rushing average went way down. Jerry made a comment several weeks ago saying the Cowboys would be fine with Randle because like all the other backups the Cowboys have had he's looked good in relief.