The debate over Murray's worth will likely swing heavily come Sunday

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think you don't understand what typical distributions of gains look like.
In Seattle, his "only 14 yards" on 4 carries is 3.5 ypa AFTER removing his best run.

To judge Randle fairly you have to go back to last season during his 2 starts when he had a number of carries. Although the Cowboys beat Philly 17-3 he only averaged 3.4 on 19 carries and that average included a 12 yard run. His lack of production forced Romo to have to put the ball up 47 times that day. Romo is no condition with a back issue to have to go back to airing it out every Sunday. Due to the running game this season having Murray for every game thus far Romo has only attempted 381 passes in 13 games played. Last season he attempted 535 passes in 15 games played. In 2012 he attempted a career high 648 passes and with his age and health it's not very likely he can go back to putting the ball up 500 plus times and remain as effective as we've seen this season.

Last edited:

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never said "from late in the game" I said from "later" in the game which means anytime after the opening KO so you're the one attempting to move the goalposts. We've argued this enough we'll just see how things go from this day forward.
Yeah, that's plausible.
To judge Randle fairly you have to go back to last season during his 2 starts when he had a number of carries. Although the Cowboys beat Philly 17-3 he only averaged 3.4 on 19 carries. His lack of production forced Romo to have to put the ball up 47 times that day.
Oy. First of all, I don't have to go back to last season to judge him fairly, not if I think he's improved significantly with a second off-season, which I think he has. Secondly, Murray JUST LAST WEEK ran for less than 3.4 against the Eagles in 20 carries. Romo didn't throw it 47 times in that game because of Randle's lack of production, he did it because that's what the Cowboys did last year. Your arguments are getting weaker, I'm afraid.
We've argued this enough we'll just see how things go from this day forward.
Yes, we will. But I'm still not sure what we're arguing about. I think Randle's a fine backup and more than capable of a spot-start tomorrow. You, I guess, think he's going to fall flat on his face?
We agree that this discussion has gone on long enough. Plus, Sanchez just fumbled! Whoo-hoo!

Thomas82

Reaction score
I mentioned that in another post and Tyron was the only #1 pick we had on that OL and both he and Murray were rookies when Murray put up that 253 yards.

To me, the most amazing thing about that game was that DeMarco didn't even start the game.......Tashard Choice did.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Oy. First of all, I don't have to go back to last season to judge him fairly, not if I think he's improved significantly with a second off-season, which I think he has. Secondly, Murray JUST LAST WEEK ran for less than 3.4 against the Eagles in 20 carries. Romo didn't throw it 47 times in that game because of Randle's lack of production, he did it because that's what the Cowboys did last year. Your arguments are getting weaker, I'm afraid.
Yes, we will. But I'm still not sure what we're arguing about. I think Randle's a fine backup and more than capable of a spot-start tomorrow. You, I guess, think he's going to fall flat on his face?
We agree that this discussion has gone on long enough. Plus, Sanchez just fumbled! Whoo-hoo!

You should be afraid because you just said you're not sure what we're arguing about. You're the one who initiated this argument so try reading my comments instead of putting your own spin on them to create an even bigger argument. I'm arguing that Randle isn't a "starting" caliber back I've made my position very clear so there's no reason for anyone to be confused. I'm okay with him in spot duty or as a backup so I can't understand why you keep wanting to argue. Regardless that Murray ran for less than 3.4 vs Philly last week he leads the NFL in rushing and has proven he's a lead back who can run consistently and carry the load. The following week after Randle's 3.4 average vs Philly he averaged 1.9 vs Detroit in his second start which contributed to the Cowboys losing that game.

On the Cowboys final drive all they needed was a first down to wrap up the win but Randle proceeded to lose 3 yards putting the Cowboys offense in a hole which led to a very quick series enabling the Lions to have just enough time to win the game in the final seconds. The Cowboys threw the ball a lot last season and in previous seasons because they couldn't run the ball consistently due to Murray missing games. He had an injury last season that hampered him for at least 4 games causing him to miss 2 games. The Cowboys entered the offseason bent on improving the running game by using another #1 pick on the OL. Once again I suggest we move on and see how the rest of this season plays out.