The defense failed because of its construction

tomokawan

Reaction score
Well if he can get us 2 number one picks and save us $30M a year resulting 2 $15M free agents. It could make sense.(basically 4 starters potential starters).

Especially when you factor in the injury risk of a generational LB playing undersized as a DE.
That is a lot of IF's. This not Madden. What 2 $15 million free agents we get. Name them?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Do you have confidence that in the salary cap era, this FO knows how to construct a roster that can compete for a championship? Because they are 4-10 in the playoffs the last 28 years, and that’s 4 wild card wins. I wish I could close my eyes and believe. How many chances are these guys going to get? Apparently unlimited.
What guys are you talking about?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The defense failed because the Cowboys put a quarterback on the field who chokes in big games and left them to play the game by themselves.
Some fans think the defense has to create turnovers and defensive scores;
That's nice, but you don't get it always, and especially when your quarterback spots the opponent 14 points and produces nothing.

That doesn't explain the opening kickoff drive, and it doesn't excuse the fact that they couldn't get a stop. Dak played poorly, but the defence couldn't stop Aaron Jones.

leeblair

Reaction score
That doesn't explain the opening kickoff drive, and it doesn't excuse the fact that they couldn't get a stop. Dak played poorly, but the defence couldn't stop Aaron Jones.
Imagine you're on that defense and you watch your quarterback give you zero help, but add 14 points to your opponent; how would you feel?
Granted, the secret was out; the Cowboys can't stop the run.
But with supposedly the number one offense in football, your defense should find opportunities to force their opponent to pass and give them opportunities to create turnovers because your offense should be scoring, as well.
But instead, your offense adds 14 points to their totals, keeping the defense under duress and unable to control anything.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
LVE and Overshown got injured and were never replaced. That is why he designed the dime all the time defense.

A lot of people around here would do well to look to cause and effect as opposed to fault and blame.

kskboys

Reaction score
LVE and Overshown got injured and were never replaced. That is why he designed the dime all the time defense.

A lot of people around here would do well to look to cause and effect as opposed to fault and blame.
I believe that's why we were playing 6 DB's for most of the game. We were forced to. And we were forced to due to horrific team building by the GM. Not hard to understand the root of this issue.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I believe that's why we were playing 6 DB's for most of the game. We were forced to. And we were forced to due to horrific team building by the GM. Not hard to understand the root of this issue.
I would have liked for them too do more at LB but Overshown, LVE, and Carr was not 'horrific team building.'

Two of them got hurt. Ish happens.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Agree, actually were over- pusueing. Example M.Bell so overpusued, he let TE go across his face for big gain on crucial 3rd down.
Happened several other times on big 3rd downs where receiver ended up all alone.
Because of lack of size Quin preaches pusuit, and G.Bay used it against us
Down field blocking lanes by interior linemen against smurf or slow responding linebackers.

CCBoy

Reaction score
ksk nailed it. In a nutshell, we are small, over pursue, and get bullied. Can't get away with that against good teams when it matters most. Smoke and mirrors gets u beat. DQ did a disservice to the team also when he stubbornly did not seemingly try to do something else. It was sad and hard to watch in the GB game. Jerry HAD to see what we did you would think, but again, in his desperate attempt to show the world, he is a football guy, he runs it back yet again. We are short yellow bus folks on the staff and front office. We are playing chinese checkers, and everyone else is playing regular checkers. Jerry is still trying to reinvent the wheel if u will. When all he has to do is find good football players and keep things simple. This game isnt as hard as he makes it.
You can't outsmart getting pancaked...

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Imagine you're on that defense and you watch your quarterback give you zero help, but add 14 points to your opponent; how would you feel?
Granted, the secret was out; the Cowboys can't stop the run.
But with supposedly the number one offense in football, your defense should find opportunities to force their opponent to pass and give them opportunities to create turnovers because your offense should be scoring, as well.
But instead, your offense adds 14 points to their totals, keeping the defense under duress and unable to control anything.

Like I said, Dak played poorly, but the defence didn't stop the run at all, and that's because of the construction of the team.

FlynnB

Reaction score
The GM had his own game plan that he didn't share with the fans :) Unfortunately for him the plan was not very good.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
They don’t have to. They are never risking anything. Lifetime contracts mean you don’t ever worry about wasting seasons or even wasting whole careers of some good players.
This is it..100%, I know most fans response to this is about players or even a player.."Trade this player", "Cut this player" its a sobering realization when you finally come to terms with the fact..it's not going to work...either the BASE LINE PLAN of this FO changes to a non marketing purpose plan or we will just continue to change the names on the field and sideline but never the results...