The defense failed because of its construction

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
And absolutely nothing will be done to fix it.

DT? We drafted Mazi.

LB? Overshown is coming back.

Maybe add a draft pick to the mix and expect them to deliver immediately.

We should just be happy about the advantages we have of the GM not having to check with the owner on impact moves.

For all of Stephens cheapness, they still have cap problems, so why not get who you need to get over the top?
Exactly, and, given that a lot of people need new contracts, why not go all in this year? If it doesn't work, then blow it up, and get as many picks as you can with trades.

bdk76

Reaction score
The GB loss was a total organizational failure from Jerry, Front Office, Scouting, Coaching, down to the players. Got to be a better construction and mindset of the team. My Lakers are a current example of bad roster construction.
This right here. It don't matter.who they draft, or who they sign in free agency. Once these players step foot in the Star they become pampered princesses. It's hard for me to blame the players, the culture of the organization makes them soft. They are a white collar team in a blue collar sport

Chasing6

Reaction score
not trying to be argumentative and I agree with the sentiment of what your saying, but if you're only going to get a first for him it makes more sense to just keep him since he's a known commodity. Now if it's for multiple picks that would bear some consideration.
Not exactly. You would get at least 1 first and save $30M. So technically you would get a first and what ever top free agent WR you wanted and most likely have more money available.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
When it comes to building anything. This ORG is clueless......I have ZERO faith they can build a smores...

Chasing6

Reaction score
Just thinking the price by position for example QB/WR inflation and RB deflation as the latest trends.

From a salary cap stand point it would be smart to get a free agent RB while the price is down. It would be smart to draft WR's and QB's while the price is inflated.

If your cap allocation for your WR group is say $50M for 6 WR's and you pay CD $30M, then the rest of your WR is going to be garbage unless you get lucky in the draft.

Good GM's predict and stay ahead of these curves. With that being said CD and Dak have Jeruh bent over a barrel and we will have 33% of our salary called tied into 2 players.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
The defense failed because Quinn just wants to sit in man coverage but it is impossible to have the CB depth to allow you to do that.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The defense failed because Quinn just wants to sit in man coverage but it is impossible to have the CB depth to allow you to do that.
Well hard to do when they have to commit to the run because our Dline and LB's can't get it done.

tomokawan

Reaction score
If we are going to stay with Dak and the coaches, then Jerry the GM needs to push all his chips in.
  • Extend Dak with reasonable cap hits next 2 years (something like $30-40M hits)
  • Have a REASONABLE OUT after 2025 so he can be cut and move on
  • Sign 2 top-tier interior front 7 on defense, prob 1 DL and 1 ILB
  • Sign or draft 1-2 OL and 1 RB
  • Resign some of our decent vets (Gilmore, Armstrong, Fowler) to fair short term contracts
Personally, I'd see what you can get for Parsons. If you can get a 1st round pick PLUS and a young, high quality young player under control at a position of need (OL,DL,LB) I'd pull the trigger and then draft an edge in the first 3 rounds.

Again, if this is how we are rolling, then you need to go all in and then blow it up proper if it fails.
Players like Parsons don't come along to often. I never understand the philosophy of trading our best young player or players will somehow get us better. Get a coach who knows how to use Micah. I would not trade Micah.

leeblair

Reaction score
The defence failed because of its construction. While there were boneheaded moves by DQ, and I'm not necessarily advocating for his return as I'd like Vrabel as our DC/Assistant HC (that way, if we do lose McCarthy, we'd have the next HC on the roster). However, as I dissect the Cowboys defence, I think you'll see that the construction of the defence leads to our failures in that department. I think, with this, you will see that our defence was doomed to fail at some point this season. I will then attempt to propose solutions.

The first and biggest area of weakness that I'd like to point out is at linebacker. We don't have any, at least not when LVE goes out with his injuries. Parsons is used too much at DE, and we have safeties playing linebacker. Part of this is on DQ. He likes to have speedy pass rushers, which is great. However, you need physicality at the point of attack. Then again, another problem is due to the construction of the team with us playing a 4-3 nickel style of defence. This doesn't work. It relies way too much on speed, and no where near enough on physicality. It's why, when you see us play QBs who are statues in the pocket, they feast on them. If we play a mobile QB, we have a problem. Additionally, this is why we can't stop the run against physical teams like the Packers, 49ers, and Bills. As we have seen, if you can run the ball effectively, you can torch our defence. If your only really good at throwing the ball, this team will feast on you.

The second area of weakness is where we play Micah Parsons, in part because of how the linebackers are constructed. Micah is in the 250lb range. Most offensive linemen are around 300+. That's a significant weight difference. Yes, he's strong. However, using him as a 4-3 DE or sometimes even DT when he's rushing the A gap means he's having to take on the hardest of the blocks usually to get to the QB. He does well at this early in the season, but he's clearly gassed by the end of the season. Then, come playoff time, he's useless. Plus, he's in a spot where he can't really get to the RBs as effectively as I'm sure he'd want to, and shifting him takes him away from what he does best (which is rushing the QB). I think there is a better way to use him, which I will state when I discuss solutions.

Our other issue is depth on defence. Part of the reason that we have safeties playing linebacker is because we had about 3 linebackers on the roster, plus Parsons who doubles as a DE. Part of the problem is that Jerry doesn't really do much in FA. By relying on the draft and bargain brand Free Agency, it puts you behind the 8 ball when injuries happen.

Another problem stems from the offense. The running game problems is another reason the defence failed. Using Tony Pollard like he's Zeke was never going to work. Mike McCarthy made it crystal clear that he wanted to run the ball. The FO thought that Pollard could be used like Zeke. Surprise, he can't. When this happens, the defence will be on the field more.

As you can see, the way the defence is constructed leads them to failure later in the season. In football, you have injuries. As that happens, you must have depth to withstand the problem. So, here's my attempt at solving this problem.

Firstly, I'd focus this upcoming draft on 3 places. Linebacker, running back, and NT. I'd take at least two linebackers this draft. If Penix doesn't drop to us at 24, take the best linebacker available, and then take another in round 5 or 6. If Penix does (assuming we go QB round 1), then go LB in rounds 2 and 5 and/or 6. I'd then go running back. I'd like the back from Texas (Brooks) in round 3. He's an up the middle back. I'd then use him there rotating occasionally with Dowdle and allowing Vaughn to be the scatback option. This should help us to control the ball and the clock more. It will make us less dependent on playing with a lead considering that our defence won't be on the field nearly as long. I'd then try to shift our defence to more of a 3-4 base. I know 4-3 is a traditional Cowboys bass, but I think the most effective way to use Parsons is our of a 3-4 base. This gives him some better protection because the DEs and DTs in a 3-4 have to be more physical. It's more predicated on stuffing the middle and allowing the LOLBs and ROLBs to rush more freely. Plus, Parsons can then rotate to different spots at LB to rush, depending on the play. Parsons can rush from the outside, or can blitz from a MLB spot as the 3-4 would open up some spots for him to rush. Plus, with Overshown coming back next year, he should be able to rotate with him on the outside for max effect.

I'd focus the defence more on physicality and less on the speed that our DEs have. The DBs still should be ballhawks, but we can't just rely on getting takeaways. We do want takeaways, but we should be constructing the team to be more physical. If we can become more physical and effective at stopping the run, the takeaways will happen. But, the 3-4 and bringing in more physical linebackers would allow us to stop the run more effectively, and it should result in better pass rush options.

I'd also get another DT this year, but this one Must be a NT. Mazi and Hankins would be 3-4 DEs in my view, and we would need a proper NT to clog the middle. Finally, I'd use FA to try to provide more depth at linebacker and NT.

If we do this, I think our defence can be more effective. Parsons won't be exhausted later in the season, and the team can be more effective.
The defense failed because the Cowboys put a quarterback on the field who chokes in big games and left them to play the game by themselves.
Some fans think the defense has to create turnovers and defensive scores;
That's nice, but you don't get it always, and especially when your quarterback spots the opponent 14 points and produces nothing.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Plus 212 pound safeties for LBers :facepalm: But you can only work with what you're given-right. Thus the 3 Stooges at it again. Jerry-Stephen-Will McClay....

tomokawan

Reaction score
Imo, Parsons and Overshown would do well as LOLB/ROLB players, which is great, but the only 3-4 MLB we have is LVE, who is less than reliable. Thus, this draft, we need two MLBs and I want Jerry to sign a MLB to rotate with LVE. If we can do this, I think this defence can begin becoming more physical.
I dred the draft. Not looking forward to another year of reaching. They have really blew 2 round picks lately. Not happy with the Mazi pick either.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Plus 212 pound safeties for LBers :facepalm: But you can only work with what you're given-right. Thus the 3 Stooges at it again. Jerry-Stephen-Will McClay....
Not much you can do about LVE and Overshown getting hurt. Every team with injuries like that is poor at LB. Look at Buffalo.

People act like there are teams with 5 solid LBs that weight 240 lol

Chasing6

Reaction score
Players like Parsons don't come along too often. I never understand the philosophy of trading our best young player or players will somehow get us better. Get a coach who knows how to use Micah. I would not trade Micah.
Well if he can get us 2 number one picks and save us $30M a year resulting 2 $15M free agents. It could make sense.(basically 4 starters potential starters).

Especially when you factor in the injury risk of a generational LB playing undersized as a DE.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Not much you can do about LVE and Overshown getting hurt. Every team with injuries like that is poor at LB. Look at Buffalo.

People act like there are teams with 5 solid LBs that weight 240 lol
Jerry had no excuse. He knew Overshown was hurt before the season started. He knew LVE was a walking pretzel just waiting to snap. See this is what I hate about some Cowboy fans. They pull out an excuse from their back pocket like it's their wallet. Pathetic!! And you wonder why you haven't won anything in 29 years :facepalm:

Chasing6

Reaction score
Jerry had no excuse. He knew Overshown was hurt before the season started. He knew LVE was a walking pretzel just waiting to snap. See this is what I hate about some Cowboy fans. They pull out and excuse from their back pocket like it's their wallet. Pathetic!! And you wonder why you haven't won anything in 29 years :facepalm:
LVE is an injury waiting happen, but we got him cheap and Jeruh would do it again this off season if he can.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Jerry had no excuse. He knew Overshown was hurt before the season started. He knew LVE was a walking pretzel just waiting to snap. See this is what I hate about some Cowboy fans. They pull out an excuse from their back pocket like it's their wallet. Pathetic!! And you wonder why you haven't won anything in 29 years :facepalm:
Yes what they should do is spend all of their cap dollars on depth linebackers. Brilliant strategy.