The Defense is not a Hot Mess

Sydla

Reaction score
How many Atlanta points did the three 1st quarter fumbles and two failed punt returns lead to? How many of the three fumbles cost the Cowboys from likely potential points? Those are big point swings.

Point with the post is to compare the defense with other defenses in the league as a better gauge. Cowboy defense was equally as good as the Ram defense. Cowboy Defense is as good or close to the Seattle defense. Cowboy defense looks better than the Eagle defense. Cowboy defense is better than the Falcon defense.

Point is to not rate the defense as if they are in a vacuum. Games against similar opponents helps to better gauge where the defense is.

The problem is you think they only scored because they had short fields. You have no idea if they got the ball on their 40 instead of our 35 they wouldn't have scored. This defense showed ZERO ability early to make any stops.

Again, don't overthink it. Don't put on the blue and white goggles. The defense was not good. It's just that simple.

Sydla

Reaction score
Sorry disagree. Falcons have a slew of WR all capable of big plays and fact is the halftime score 14-12 vs Seattle as compared to 20-0 in the 1st qrt all set up with great field position off of 3 fumbles and a failed fake punt. Fact is you an offense turning the ball over around your own 35 is going to give up points, hell they are in FG before their drive even begins. I really do not care about other people faith, Dallas defense gave up 10 points in the 2nd half after the Cowboys offense stopped turning the ball over. I think defense has a lot to work on as they implement this hybrid defense they are putting in place and I think this group will improve as the season wears on. I'm not satisfied with defense but I don't share your overall feeling about this defense.

My overall feeling is that defense isn't good enough right now to be a legit contender. Do you disagree?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
My overall feeling is that defense isn't good enough right now to be a legit contender. Do you disagree?

right now they have much work ahead of them but again you don't put your defense in that situation where opponent is starting on your own 35 yard line. I don't care whose defense is out there you will give up points. Alt had 20 after 1 qrt, they managed 19 for the remainder of the game.

Sydla

Reaction score
right now they have much work ahead of them but again you don't put your defense in that situation where opponent is starting on your own 35 yard line. I don't care whose defense is out there you will give up points. Alt had 20 after 1 qrt, they managed 19 for the remainder of the game.

Well no, you can't put a mediocre to bad defense in bad spots. But trying to use the offense's mistakes early to cover for the ineffectiveness of the defense makes no sense to me. They just weren't very good yesterday, even when accounting for the offensive issues. They had one sack against an average OL. They generated zero turnovers. They gave up over 50% on 3rd/4th downs. They gave up 39 points and were lucky it wasn't more.

I mean I might but the defense of the defense if they just were getting stops but eventually the offense just put them in too many holes, but right from the start, they were pretty inept at providing any resistance to the Falcons.

And my concern is largely tied to the fact that while some of you just assume they will get better, I can't make that assumption based on some personnel issues AND the fact Nolan hasn't been a good DC for some time. I hope it gets better but I have serious doubts.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Well no, you can't put a mediocre to bad defense in bad spots. But trying to use the offense's mistakes early to cover for the ineffectiveness of the defense makes no sense to me. They just weren't very good yesterday, even when accounting for the offensive issues. They had one sack against an average OL. They generated zero turnovers. They gave up over 50% on 3rd/4th downs. They gave up 39 points and were lucky it wasn't more.

I mean I might but the defense of the defense if they just were getting stops but eventually the offense just put them in too many holes, but right from the start, they were pretty inept at providing any resistance to the Falcons.

And my concern is largely tied to the fact that while some of you just assume they will get better, I can't make that assumption based on some personnel issues AND the fact Nolan hasn't been a good DC for some time. I hope it gets better but I have serious doubts.

You can't put any defense defending from their own 30 to 35 and expect the offense will get 0 points, hell they are in FG range when they got the ball. You are giving up 3 right off the bat if your opposition has a decent FG kicker. Alt has weapons on offense very capable and while you can slam the defense as much as you want it is fact they gave up 10 second half points, while our offense put up 30.

75boyz

Reaction score
You can't put any defense defending from their own 30 to 35 and expect the offense will get 0 points, hell they are in FG range when they got the ball. You are giving up 3 right off the bat if your opposition has a decent FG kicker. Alt has weapons on offense very capable and while you can slam the defense as much as you want it is fact they gave up 10 second half points, while our offense put up 30.

Every now and again a discussion like yours and Sydla's takes place on this board that restores my faith in humanity, lol!

Valid points from both sides and never turned into a personal attack, name calling or blatant disrespect shown.

Great job to you both

Go Cowboys

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
All I can say is that they need to fix the pass rush. This is unacceptable with the talent. It is like nobody knows what they are supposed to do. There is no plan. And Tyrone Crawford? Ouch.

fivetwos

Reaction score
All I can say is that they need to fix the pass rush. This is unacceptable with the talent. It is like nobody knows what they are supposed to do. There is no plan. And Tyrone Crawford? Ouch.
They DO look seriously confused pre snap.

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
Pollard was not even close to a fumble. He had been down for a good bit and was about to get up when the defender smacked it out!

Yes, I know it wasn't a fumble technically, but he put the ball on the turf. That was my point.