The Dez Bryant Effect

SloMo_Joe

Reaction score
If Julilo or Antonio or Deandre or Mike Evans got cut, teams would be willing to cut others to sign them. No matter how the bread is sliced, Dez has very limited value.
Yep, never said he is the best. He will land somewhere when someone gets injured and it will be a one year fill-in deal. So he can enter free agency at the beginning. Not saying that is going to work out the best for him, but that is what is reported he wanted. A one year "prove it" deal. That is the reason the turned down the Ravens if the reports are accurate, and is why he is still unemployed today, its by choice (Still not saying its a good choice, but it is by choice).

kskboys

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I would imagine the rest of the coaches especially since JG and Linehan are offesive coaches should have known that none of our guys are great at route running...they should have witness and participated in on the field coaching sessions where coaches are helping our WRs run routes.

If none of our WRs have been taught route running then it ultimately falls on the head coach and Offensive Coordinator.
I have yet to figure out what we try to run as far as our WR's go. Romo made it where route running wasn't as important w/ his scrambling ability so our guys had a lot of time to break open.

SloMo_Joe

Reaction score
Well he was talking about waiting for a contender, which seems a bit delusional
I never seen that. I seen reports he wanted a 1 year "prove it" deal so he could enter free agency at the beginning of it rather than the end like this year. Hell, every player in the league would want to be on a contender, there is nothing delusional about that. It would be delusional to want to play with a crappy team, someone would need their head checked if that is what they desired.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have yet to figure out what we try to run as far as our WR's go. Romo made it where route running wasn't as important w/ his scrambling ability so our guys had a lot of time to break open.

Romo as ACCURATE could throw any pass asked of him......and had great pocket awareness to avoid the rush (Without Panicking) and complete the pass.....and one more thing he could also lead our WR with ball......

SloMo_Joe

Reaction score
That is also why JJ called Romo a miracle. Romo's scrambling gave the Cowboys time to build an OL. Bledsoe was benched because he was a statue in the pocket and we didn't have a line that could block if their life depended on it. Romo hid a lot of flaws in our offense.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
You’re asking Dez to humble himself...Lol. As he thinks he is humble.
you-neg-rep-i-make-you-humble.jpg

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
You guys are really ignorant if you think an NFL WR coach doesn't teach technique. I am not a Dooley fan, but the hate is getting out of control. This is part of the Cowboys hype machine. Sanjay Lal is a journeyman position coach who, as far as I can tell, has only produced a single 1000 yard receiver.

His stints at the Raiders, Jets, and Colts produced some of the worst WR output in the league in those respective years. Like dead bottom of the league.

If you are expecting big things out of this group, you are going to be disappointed.
WHAAAAaaa!:( * sniff*sniff*
Thanks a pantload fer' yer' upbeat& cheery exposé on the subject matter there @CyberB0b :thumbdown:

* I do believe there's only one other player on the current roster that weighs a pound or two less than our W.R. rookie 3rd draft pick ,#4
CANNOT hang him out to dry down over the middle of the field,,,as some 2nd cousin of JEFF HEATH'S could put the KA 'cyber' Bobs to him prematurely & that would suck it long ,hard & big time in a bad wayo_O

** I saw where we do have a 318 lb. D.T.( his face imparts the look like he could easily ' bow up' and get fierce) on the roster that could maybe emerge as the middle run plug, while I was pursuing the height/ weight game thats listed on our guys the other dayo_O

kskboys

Reaction score
Romo as ACCURATE could throw any pass asked of him......and had great pocket awareness to avoid the rush (Without Panicking) and complete the pass.....and one more thing he could also lead our WR with ball......
Romo was great on downfield throws, especially comebacks, but leading the WR on slants and crosses was one of his weaknesses. He seemed to have some sort of spacial perception problem there. Even on the cross by Crayton in 07, the ball was on his back hip. Cray still should've caught it, but it wasn't accurate.

superonyx

Reaction score
Yes you are actually 100% correct and you might also want to include Jerry, Stephen and McClay in there.

But again why is Dez still unsigned?
Several reasons. We can only speculate of course.

But here may be a few:

Media driven narrative that he is a disruption causes teams to hesitate. Timing of his release caused most teams who feel they need a #1 WR to have already spent resources acquiring one. Fear that bringing in a guy who is an Alpha type and well known as a #1 can cause locker room problems if he is asked to take a lesser role. Turning down the Ravens 3 year deal in hopes of a 1 year deal tells everyone he is looking to leave after 1 season. Aligning himself with OBJ right after release doesn’t help. Also perception that he may be hard for a young impressionable QB who will make mistakes can be tough when the guy won’t commit for more than a year.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Several reasons. We can only speculate of course.

But here may be a few:

Media driven narrative that he is a disruption causes teams to hesitate. Timing of his release caused most teams who feel they need a #1 WR to have already spent resources acquiring one. Fear that bringing in a guy who is an Alpha type and well known as a #1 can cause locker room problems if he is asked to take a lesser role. Turning down the Ravens 3 year deal in hopes of a 1 year deal tells everyone he is looking to leave after 1 season. Aligning himself with OBJ right after release doesn’t help. Also perception that he may be hard for a young impressionable QB who will make mistakes can be tough when the guy won’t commit for more than a year.

So of the five things you listed, he is directly responsible for four of them.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score

BTW, who was the coach that help develop Miles here, our last great route running wideout?

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
I never seen that. I seen reports he wanted a 1 year "prove it" deal so he could enter free agency at the beginning of it rather than the end like this year. Hell, every player in the league would want to be on a contender, there is nothing delusional about that. It would be delusional to want to play with a crappy team, someone would need their head checked if that is what they desired.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-in-signing-with-a-contender-for-next-season/

and this is recent, after teams have shown that they aren't interested. Like I said, seems delusional.

SloMo_Joe

Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-in-signing-with-a-contender-for-next-season/

and this is recent, after teams have shown that they aren't interested. Like I said, seems delusional.
No quote from Dez? Hell, even the report doesn't frame it as delusional or even wishful thinking. The report even states this is probably his best bet.
It would be delusional to go and sign a contract with a loser and risk injury when you have no shot a winning.
You would be better off sitting out the year and working on route running and giving your body a break from the weekly pounding. Then enter FA next year when teams have money to spend.
I'm not saying either option is whats best. I think he should have taken the Ravens deal, but add an opt out clause if the team didn't finish in the playoffs.
To call someone delusional for wanting to be on a winning team is all the evidence anyone needs to confirm that you just hate the guy and want to trash him.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
No quote from Dez? Hell, even the report doesn't frame it as delusional or even wishful thinking. The report even states this is probably his best bet.
It would be delusional to go and sign a contract with a loser and risk injury when you have no shot a winning.
You would be better off sitting out the year and working on route running and giving your body a break from the weekly pounding. Then enter FA next year when teams have money to spend.
I'm not saying either option is whats best. I think he should have taken the Ravens deal, but add an opt out clause if the team didn't finish in the playoffs.
To call someone delusional for wanting to be on a winning team is all the evidence anyone needs to confirm that you just hate the guy and want to trash him.

I think it is delusional to wait for a contender when your phone isn't ringing.

pancakeman

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I would imagine the rest of the coaches especially since JG and Linehan are offesive coaches should have known that none of our guys are great at route running...they should have witness and participated in on the field coaching sessions where coaches are helping our WRs run routes.

If none of our WRs have been taught route running then it ultimately falls on the head coach and Offensive Coordinator.
Agree, I meant the TV show exposed it not to the coaches, but to the public, which forced the issue.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
False. While he never got back to 1600 yard 16 TD dez, after the return from his broken knee, the next 10 full games he played he had 48 catches for 778 yards and 9 TDS. That’s including playoffs. 16 yards a catch and just under a TD a game. That’s with a rookie QB. Coming off a broken knee. You can act like he is garbage but he showed he was far from done.
Man,Alive! I never knew the x 88 had a broken knee?,,,I knew he'd broke bones in his foot& fer'got to drink water after cashing a big check ,,,in fact, the rash of foot injuries( team wide) had kinda' made me question the actual composition/ construction of just what ol' JJ has got his boy's working out on in AT&T stadium,,,er,,,briefly, ya know?o_O

superonyx

Reaction score
So of the five things you listed, he is directly responsible for four of them.
Meaning what exactly?
None of them are reason why he wouldn’t be the best WR on our team.
We all agree Dez needs the right situation given the timing of his release. If he was released before FA he could have gotten the longer term deal he wanted.