The Direct TV Dance

Social D

Reaction score
wow! it worked....just got ST free and $45 off my monthly bill for 12 months with a 1 year agreement

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
It's funny I wonder if these retention guys go home thinking they did a "bang up" job, that people really want to cancel and all they have to do is wave free offers to reel them back in. Or do they know what the deal is and do it anyway and the ST isn't that big of a loss.

What if they started calling your bluff "ok sir if you need to cut costs I guess we'll cancel you".

Lolol I've heard of th calling bluffs.

I'm on hold now. Hopefully I get it again for the 4th year in a row

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Made my call yesterday. No longer under contract. Could not get ST for free, no matter how much I tried. Best I could get was ST Max for $41 Per month for 4 months = $164.00 - $5 per month for 6 months = $134.00 with no contract renewal. Still a savings of Over $200.00 and still under no contract. I can live with that.

Took me 4 calls. Eventually got 20 off my bill for a year. The Max for 80$ and HBO,showtime, and Cinemax for 3 months.

The first call they offered me the deal you got. Just have to get a cool rep.

JBS

Reaction score
If DirecTV would just charge $10 for the season, they could increase their customer base two fold.

Cutting the price by 97% and only doubling the customer base = a major loss of revenue

It's probably why they don't put that idea to use

erod

Reaction score
Cutting the price by 97% and only doubling the customer base = a major loss of revenue

It's probably why they don't put that idea to use

NFL Ticket = $300 per year
DirecTV = $1,200 per year

Getting people to switch from Verizon, cable, Dish, etc, is the idea.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Made my call yesterday. No longer under contract. Could not get ST for free, no matter how much I tried. Best I could get was ST Max for $41 Per month for 4 months = $164.00 - $5 per month for 6 months = $134.00 with no contract renewal. Still a savings of Over $200.00 and still under no contract. I can live with that.

I called three years ago and griped until I got it free. Two years ago, got something like $30 off a month and some premium channels. Last year, I did not bother, well I frankly forgot.

Called on Sunday, the girl gave me the same deal you just described. I accepted. The next day, I noticed nothing was done on my bill to credit the difference.

Called back Tuesday to ask why. I got an unhelpful fellow who did not seem like he knew what was going on. I pulled the ten year customer routine. He stated there was no record of my call nor any adjustment. He did offer me $10 off a month, I stated that was not acceptable and I demanded to speak to a supervisor. He got on the phone and the supervisor, in his lisping feminine way, he basically stated that no, that was all he could offer. I told him to basically shove it, very hard.

Then Wednesday, I see a full charge for the entire package on my online statement. Needless to say, I called back today pretty hot.

Got the first young lady. I told her I did not appreciate a full charge on the bill when I asked for complete cancellation. She then offered me some discount minus ST Max. I told her that honestly, the Sunday Ticket was not the point. I asked for it to be cancelled Sunday it wasn't, then Tuesday I got treated poorly and I did not appreciate the full charge on the account, nor the run around. I asked her to switch me to the cancellations department.

Got this other girl and told her the whole cool story bro tale and ended saying I did not know how long my contract was for, but I wanted to know so I could leave. She was like Oprah. You get a discount of $15 off a month for a year and YOU get a discount. YOU get a premium channel for free and YOU get a premium channel for free for three month. She was

All in all, half off Sunday Ticket, HBO/Showtime free for three months, a total of $45 off my total bill each month.

Took about 120 minutes over three days of being on hold, but it was worth it I guess. That little snooty supervisor did me a big favor, I think if I didn't have the leverage of the full charge, I would not have had the leverage to play the cancel card.

I know, CSB.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I called three years ago and griped until I got it free. Two years ago, got something like $30 off a month and some premium channels. Last year, I did not bother, well I frankly forgot.

Called on Sunday, the girl gave me the same deal you just described. I accepted. The next day, I noticed nothing was done on my bill to credit the difference.

Called back Tuesday to ask why. I got an unhelpful fellow who did not seem like he knew what was going on. I pulled the ten year customer routine. He stated there was no record of my call nor any adjustment. He did offer me $10 off a month, I stated that was not acceptable and I demanded to speak to a supervisor. He got on the phone and the supervisor, in his lisping feminine way, he basically stated that no, that was all he could offer. I told him to basically shove it, very hard.

Then Wednesday, I see a full charge for the entire package on my online statement. Needless to say, I called back today pretty hot.

Got the first young lady. I told her I did not appreciate a full charge on the bill when I asked for complete cancellation. She then offered me some discount minus ST Max. I told her that honestly, the Sunday Ticket was not the point. I asked for it to be cancelled Sunday it wasn't, then Tuesday I got treated poorly and I did not appreciate the full charge on the account, nor the run around. I asked her to switch me to the cancellations department.

Got this other girl and told her the whole cool story bro tale and ended saying I did not know how long my contract was for, but I wanted to know so I could leave. She was like Oprah. You get a discount of $15 off a month for a year and YOU get a discount. YOU get a premium channel for free and YOU get a premium channel for free for three month. She was

All in all, half off Sunday Ticket, HBO/Showtime free for three months, a total of $45 off my total bill each month.

Took about 120 minutes over three days of being on hold, but it was worth it I guess. That little snooty supervisor did me a big favor, I think if I didn't have the leverage of the full charge, I would not have had the leverage to play the cancel card.

I know, CSB.

I got free Sunday Ticket and 10.00 off a month for 12 months just for making a 12 month commitment.
I have been with Direct TV for 5 years though.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
I got half off my bill but ST for only half so I declined. But he told me to call back in September because sometimes "we have deals going on." I realized he said this because September 1st is when my contract is up. For some reason I thought my contract was up in August. EVery year I got it for free was only when my contract was up so it makes sense that they won't offer it for free knowing you'll essentially be a free agent relatively soon.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
Just got the Sunday ticket max plus show time free for 4 months and 20 dollars off my bill for 12 months.

4th year in a row lol

DallasDomination

Reaction score
So what's the deal with the online only options?

I don't want a subscription or anything just live streaming. I need to investigate more into that.

PoundTheRock

Reaction score
Got the basic ST for free + $45 off the bill for 12 months. Wish I'd pushed for the max package, but whatever. I wouldn't use steaming unless my satellite signal was poor and generally if my signal gets bad my power is gonna go out.

PoundTheRock

Reaction score

I know, CSB.

Think you just might be going about it wrong with the CSRs.

Every year I half pretend I don't know what Sunday Ticket is. I lead with something about getting offers in the mail from Dish or the local cable company and that I like sports, but I don't mention the NFL and instead frame it as a college football thing. The last 2 years I've mentioned that Dish and the local company both have SEC Network (I live in SEC country) and that I mainly have satellite just for that. From there I say Dish or the local company's deal looks better. Then CSRs will then usually offer to take something off the bill, try to get you to take some equipment or go right into the free Sunday Ticket spiel.

SoBlue128

Reaction score
Two for two on getting NFL Sunday Ticket Max. Tried a couple of weeks ago and it didn't go over too well. When they asked why I was canceling I said I had a better offer from Uverse. I don't know why Uverse popped out of my mouth but it did. I'm sure the lady was like okay dumbarse we are still getting your money along with a cancellation fee since we are now part of AT&T. I felt so stupid especially when she asked when do you want services disconnected, I can do it now lmao. Tried again yesterday and this time I said I had gotten a sweet offer from my cable company that included 6 months free of HBO/Cinemax, NFL red zone and 20 bucks off my bill for a year along with a 200$ gift card to pay for any cancellation fees. She asked what I enjoyed watching and I said I was a HUGE sports fan and what really was getting me to switch was Redzone. She then offers Sunday ticket max 4 months of HBO/Showtime free and my sports package free for a year. I was like sweet I'm staying with you guys. If it doesn't work the first time wait a few days and try again. Really just gonna depend on who you get when ur threatening to cancel. Good luck

loublue22

Reaction score
So what's the deal with the online only options?

I don't want a subscription or anything just live streaming. I need to investigate more into that.

you have to live in any apartment, or in a house that's not serviceable by DTV, or be a college student at a 4 year university

Joe_Fan

Continuity Is Overrated
Reaction score
After my last experience with DirectTv and them screwing up the house where they installed the satellite dish I'll never deal with them again.

EGTuna

Reaction score
Called last night and got Sunday Ticket Max for free and $43 off per month for 12 months. I had to keep negotiating, as thier first couple of offers were not very good. It's a pain to play hardball, but it usually pays off. The most comical thing was she told me the never give STMax for free, and I just kept quiet, and didn't want to call out that obvious lie. The call probably last 30-40 mins.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Think you just might be going about it wrong with the CSRs.

Every year I half pretend I don't know what Sunday Ticket is. I lead with something about getting offers in the mail from Dish or the local cable company and that I like sports, but I don't mention the NFL and instead frame it as a college football thing. The last 2 years I've mentioned that Dish and the local company both have SEC Network (I live in SEC country) and that I mainly have satellite just for that. From there I say Dish or the local company's deal looks better. Then CSRs will then usually offer to take something off the bill, try to get you to take some equipment or go right into the free Sunday Ticket spiel.

I think you misunderstood me. I have had DTV with ST for ten years. It is not like I can call up and act like a curious sports fan.