The Eagles have exposed our defense to the rest of the NFL

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
My take on this whole exposure thing is that the season is young and the defense has had a number of their better players (Newman, Burnett, Spencer) starting off injured. Also, Adam Jones has still not shaken off all of the rust but he is getting there. As those players return to the lineup and get back in shape and in the flow of things the defense will gel and we will get better as the season wears on.

IMO it is a good thing that we are not quite in sync and not quite the immovable defensive juggernaut that we all hope we will be. It means that we have not peaked yet. And we don't want to be peaked yet because it is almost impossible to maintain that edge throughout the entire season. I want our team to peak at the end of the season (as the Giants did last year) and not early on where the only way to go is down (as the Cowboys did last year).

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
The 2000 Ravens or 2002 Buccaneers are not walking through that door. What you see is what you get, especially when you go up against a top ranked offense. Wade's defense is set up to get turnovers, sacks (pressure the QB), and big plays and make the other team march the field. The defense is set up to shut down the run and prevent the big play in the air.

The mental mistakes can be cleaned up (ex.DeSean Jackson bomb) and getting Newman back full time and in a groove will shrink the field. Getting Spencer healthy will add pressure.

The Eagles' score was inflated in that football game due to three plays that the defense couldn't control.

Dallas' defense made the adjustments at halftime and held them to 7 points. That should be the story. Phillips put it on Andy Reid (the boogieman) in the second half.

Boysboy

Reaction score
landryscorner;2270109 said:
...was it an airshow because of the NFC East Rivalry or is our defense that soft? what do you guys think....?

My opinion is #1 the Eagles probably know us better than any other team in the NFL aside from the Giants and took chances early knowing it was gonna be a shoot out, and said, wth if we win we win because of these big plays...there is a big chance we(eagles) are gonna lose.

or #2 Stewart has no conficence in our defense and it was his scheming that almost cost us the game, the zone defense was not working out, Jackson is so small simple bump n run would of probably took him out of the game, instead he ended up gaining a lot of yards.

Well-I'm shocked you didn't start a thread how WE exposed the Eagles D AND their ST. After all, we ran up 34 pts(should have been 38 if Romo doesn't overthrow Witten early in the 4th) plus Felix's KR TD.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
landryscorner;2270109 said:
...was it an airshow because of the NFC East Rivalry or is our defense that soft? what do you guys think....?

My opinion is #1 the Eagles probably know us better than any other team in the NFL aside from the Giants and took chances early knowing it was gonna be a shoot out, and said, wth if we win we win because of these big plays...there is a big chance we(eagles) are gonna lose.

or #2 Stewart has no conficence in our defense and it was his scheming that almost cost us the game, the zone defense was not working out, Jackson is so small simple bump n run would of probably took him out of the game, instead he ended up gaining a lot of yards.

I think the sky is falling................. You?

MWILL

Fear the Afro
Reaction score
The Eagles scored only 7pts in the 2nd half.

The Cowboys scored 17pts in the 2nd half.

I'm sorry, who's "D" are you worried about again? :D

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Our defense has always been good at one thing. Stopping the run. We have never been good at coverage and stopping the big passing plays. How many times does our D have to be exposed?

Giants first game last year, saints the year before, PAtriots last year, Eagles this year..This is a never ending story. w have alot of talent and for some reason I think our coaching is the problem. Either our guys are not as talented as We think or Our coaching just sucks.

Just say it how I see it.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
CowboyFan74;2270111 said:
We've been giving up the underneath stuff for a long long time.

Too long.

I get so tired of the opponents sweeps. the way they know to throw the dinky passes that, sometimes combined with arm tackles on the defense, go for 10-20 yards.

Too soft coverage and not enough direct pressure on the QB.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
MWILL;2270318 said:
The Eagles scored only 7pts in the 2nd half.

The Cowboys scored 17pts in the 2nd half.

I'm sorry, who's "D" are you worried about again? :D

30 points in one game is way to much..What game did you watch. jeez I hate homers.:D

MWILL

Fear the Afro
Reaction score
DallasDomination;2270325 said:
30 points in one game is way to much..What game did you watch. jeez I hate homers.:D

You got to give the "D" more time to gel. There is alot of new pieces in this Defense.

They need to go against other opponents besides themselves. They'll get better.

Jeez it's only Game #2. :p:

mperfection

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2270122 said:
The Eagles averaged 6.3 yards per pass play, which is less than the NFL average.

Some airshow.

Yes it was on Monday night. No doubt about it.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score

So, you are hanging a zero play, zero yard drive (Romo's fumble) around the defense's neck.

The call on Henry was down right cheateristic. The officials gave them a TD when the proper and obvious call would have put them 15 yards behind the chains and out of field-goal range. The defense held them to three FGs, and they didn't get a chance to hold them on that drive. Plus, the Eagles held three Cowboys (Jenkins and Newman for sure) on the TD after the call on Henry.

Again, the Eagles' score was inflated. You have to grade the defense on a curve in that game.

Boysboy

Reaction score

Why can't we ever enjoy a win here? It's not only these first 2 weeks of the '08 season, but it was ALL last year, and pretty much has gone on since '03 or so.

I mean every time I come in here after a game, win or lose, it's in utter and complete meltdown.

Boysboy

Reaction score
41gy#;2270344 said:
So, you are hanging a zero play, zero yard drive (Romo's fumble) around the defense's neck.

The call on Henry was down right cheateristic. The officials gave them a TD when the proper and obvious call would have put them 15 yards behind the chains and out of field-goal range. The defense held them to three FGs, and they didn't get a chance to hold them on that drive. Plus, the Eagles held three Cowboys (Jenkins and Newman for sure) on the TD after the call on Henry.

Again, the Eagles' score was inflated. You have to grade the defense on a curve in that game.

And less not forget that prior to Romo forcing it into Samuels, we were up 14-6 and headed for a double digit win.

Pt being that momentum of the game can really change in a hurry. Luckily for us, we eventually recovered before the onslaught got worse.

On a side note, I hope we can cut down our own mistakes. About 1/2 of our penalties resulted in Eagles pts.(i.e. Folk's opening kickoff out of bounds, Spears' hands to the face, Curtis' false start near our own endzone, etc)

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Do you know who was exposed in that game?

Brian Dawkins (Witten and Owens)

Lito Sheppard bit on Owen's double move. He hesitated and got roasted. He bragged about shutting T.O. down last year when a Romo over throw saved him last December on a long bomb.

Sheldon Brown

Stewart Bradley

Trent Cole was blanked by Flozell Adams. I think Adams missed two blocks in pass blocking.

Shaun Considine

Jim Johnson

Asante Samuel in man coverage on the goalline against T.O.

Boysboy

Reaction score
41gy#;2270353 said:
Do you know who was exposed in that game?

Brian Dawkins (Witten and Owens)

Lito Sheppard bit on Owen's double move. He hesitated and got roasted. He bragged about shutting T.O. down last year when a Romo over throw saved him last December on a long bomb.

Sheldon Brown

Stewart Bradley

Trent Cole was blanked by Flozell Adams. I think Adams missed two blocks in pass blocking.

Shaun Considine

Jim Johnson

Asante Samuel in man coverage on the goalline against T.O.

Come someone please tell me what all this hype was about how the Eagles had this 3-headed monster at CB throughout the entire offseason? Could someone please tell me what all this hype was about how Brian Dawkins was finally healthy and back to form? Could someone please tell me what all this hype was about how the Eagles front 7 was youthful, fast, and very talented?

And you can also add Chris Gocong and Darren Howard as well. The latter just got tons of buzz throughout TC how he was back to his old form, but didn't do squat in our game.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;2270164 said:
so if we were exposed, what did that game do to the Eagles vaunted Jim Johnson defence?

Exactly... I thought he was supposed to be the best blitz DC in the game...

I think I see who was exposed, here... ;)

It's tough when you win a big game and the media acts like you lost it...

sago1

Reaction score
Do agree that the Eagles were more exposed then we were. Heck, Romo spotted the Eagles 14 points & the refs gave them 7 points & the Eagles still couldn't beat us. Even DC Johnson admitted his defense had a bad night. Ha. We put up 41 points on them that defense for goodness sake. Like Pacman said when he saw that the Eagles beat the Rams 38-3, we ain't the Rams.

BTW: As much as I love our offense, we all gotta take into account that other teams know they must put up big points to stay in the game with us. That means they will be throwing it a lot more which naturally means more completions, etc. We complain about our defense but how do you think other teams feel about their defenses after they see what our offense does to theirs. It's enough to send most DC to a drunk tank.

tunahelper

Reaction score
#2 is ruled out because Stewart is nothing more than Wade's mouthpiece.

Blame Wade for the defense, if you must.