The Eagles have exposed our defense to the rest of the NFL

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
better to expose it eary so we have a chance to let Mr. Fix it......fix it.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
landryscorner;2270109 said:
...was it an airshow because of the NFC East Rivalry or is our defense that soft? what do you guys think....?

My opinion is #1 the Eagles probably know us better than any other team in the NFL aside from the Giants and took chances early knowing it was gonna be a shoot out, and said, wth if we win we win because of these big plays...there is a big chance we(eagles) are gonna lose.

or #2 Stewart has no conficence in our defense and it was his scheming that almost cost us the game, the zone defense was not working out, Jackson is so small simple bump n run would of probably took him out of the game, instead he ended up gaining a lot of yards.

IMHO we did, in a way, show the world how to beat us. You sign Westbrook to your team. That kid is always a monster against us and the most valuable player on that Eagles team. Even though they loved talking about how McNabb is back, he could have put the game away for them if he used his legs. he probably could have stole the win back at the end, had he used his legs. He has looked the best he has in years, yet still seemed a little timid to get out there and run. The key to giving Dallas fits on defense is to have Westbrook in your backfield. Luckily we only play that team twice a year and we are already one up on them.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
RainMan;2270114 said:
It's increasingly evident mobile passers give us fits. Which scares me for facing Rodgers this week. I'm really wondering if what he did to us last year wasn't a mirage, and could be easily done again.

That is why there was not stunting on the d line in the second half.
They closed the escape lanes McNabb was using.
He was distracted by the rush just enough.

I do not think Rogers has that vision line yet to escape like that or the strength of a McNabb to just pull away from a tackler.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Ender;2270141 said:
**** we gave up 10 points week 1 and people where complaining.

The complaints from week 1 were valid. People weren't complaining about the points given up and I don't believe they were truly complaining at all. The issue was that our Dline was getting no pressure on the qb and that resurfaced again against the Eagles. That's 2 completely different types of passers. One is a pure pocket passer and the other can scramble when necessary. Tell me, which one are we good about getting pressure against? That's right, neither. I said it before and I'll say it again if our offense wasn't so Great we would be 3 and 15 over the last two years. Our defense gives up far more than the league average points. Come on 37 points to an offense without it's number 2 and 3 receiver. That's just nuts. We must be able to get to the qb quicker and more consistently and our db's have to hold coverage for just a little bit longer (although no db is expected to hold for 6 friggin seconds :bang2: ).

starfrombirth

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;2270164 said:
so if we were exposed, what did that game do to the Eagles vaunted Jim Johnson defence?

Are you really trying to say every other (or even a lot) team out there has as many weapons on offense as we do? :lmao:

landryscorner

Reaction score
Boysboy;2270267 said:
Well-I'm shocked you didn't start a thread how WE exposed the Eagles D AND their ST. After all, we ran up 34 pts(should have been 38 if Romo doesn't overthrow Witten early in the 4th) plus Felix's KR TD.

I'm not worried about who the Eagles are playing week in and week out so why would I bring up if we exposed them, we are a good offensive team and we are going to expose any team when we play them because of the multitude of good players we have, I am worried about "our" team in terms of defensive strategy, I believe our players are real good on defense, I just don't think that Stewart is trying his best to put us in good position to take over games on the defensive side of the ball

starfrombirth

Reaction score
After reading some very valid points on here, I will come in off the ledge a little bit. Assuming that the Eagles wouldn't have scored the 21 erroneous points would mean our defense gave up what...16 points? We still don't get pressure but at least I don't feel our defense is as overall porous as I originally thought. :whew:

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I understand now

We cannot compare our D to other Defenses that play us

We cannot look at the average yards per play against our defense

We cannot take into account Romo's fumbles or interceptions or the horrible PI calls against us.

We cannot take into account the fact that our D held up on the last two drives and won the game.

You just have to belief that this D sucks with absolutely no evidence to support it ..... gotcha.

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
Rack;2270231 said:
Our OL did play better against Cleveland. One good pressure from their D where they got a good - but illegal - hit on the QB doesn't erase the dominance they showed throughout the game.

I was looking at it from more of a "complicated blitz scheme" perspective. The Browns D was pretty vanilla.

The Eagles have a much more agressive defense, and that's why I thought we played better. Most "experts" thought Romo would be on his back all game, or at least pressured out of his throws consistently. Neither happened.

fortdick

Reaction score
Our D played well, the offense gave them 14 points and the officials gave them another 7. That mean the Iggles scored 16 points. One legit TD and three field goals, against McNabb at his best.

What do people expect from our D? Shutouts every week?

BigDinAZ

Reaction score
fortdick;2271224 said:
Our D played well, the offense gave them 14 points and the officials gave them another 7. That mean the Iggles scored 16 points. One legit TD and three field goals, against McNabb at his best.

+1 on this statement. The refs kept the Eagles in that game. They really only had 2 successful drives that were un-assisted by penalties in there favor.

raichledog

Reaction score
So basically what you are saying is this, "To give the Dallas Cowboys fits throughout the FIRST HALF all you need is the biggest offensive line in the NFL, a 100% Donovan McNabb (who despite my loathing for him is an outstanding player) and Brian Westbrook." Oh, and you might want to include the following disclaimer, "Tony Romo cannot be obligated for turning the ball over on consecutive possessions/snaps and allowing the momentum to switch back to the opposition."

Come on, they scored on us, but they are a great offensive team and we gave them at least 14 points, but we shut them down in the 2nd half.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Rack;2270231 said:
Our OL did play better against Cleveland. One good pressure from their D where they got a good - but illegal - hit on the QB doesn't erase the dominance they showed throughout the game.

Nah, they played at the same level. Trouble is, the Eagles' defense is twenty times better.

And we still destroyed them. As Adam already mentioned, 6.3 yards per pass play and exactly 1 passing TD (okay, it should have been 2).

As opposed to what we did. 9.9 yards per pass play and 3 passing TDs.

Amazing the score was as close as it was. Penalties (including a bad PI call against Henry) and turnovers was the only thing that hurt us. And that right there is about as tough as it gets. I suspect we're going to put a hurting on the Packers Sunday night. But the penalties ARE starting to get aggravating!

kramskoi

Reaction score
starfrombirth;2270511 said:
The complaints from week 1 were valid. People weren't complaining about the points given up and I don't believe they were truly complaining at all. The issue was that our Dline was getting no pressure on the qb and that resurfaced again against the Eagles. That's 2 completely different types of passers. One is a pure pocket passer and the other can scramble when necessary. Tell me, which one are we good about getting pressure against? That's right, neither. I said it before and I'll say it again if our offense wasn't so Great we would be 3 and 15 over the last two years. Our defense gives up far more than the league average points. Come on 37 points to an offense without it's number 2 and 3 receiver. That's just nuts. We must be able to get to the qb quicker and more consistently and our db's have to hold coverage for just a little bit longer (although no db is expected to hold for 6 friggin seconds :bang2: ).
you really don't think much of Philadelphia do you?...i can tell you this with absolute certainty...if both McNabb and Westbrook stay healthy, they will be their at the end [week 17] and possibly in the playoffs...how many years have the Eagles plastered the Cowboys this decade with what a lot here would consider less than average talent at WR?...you have'nt been paying attention my friend...Philadelphia has been amongst the leagues best offenses for the past 5 or so years...without a healthy McNabb and/or a healthy Westbrook they struggle because that tandem is the offensive core of the team...what drives them...i can promise you that Philadelphia won't be giving up 41 points by week 17 of the season...the same way the Giants did'nt give up 45 in the final meeting with the Cowboys last year or vice versa...it is the offense that has undone this team the past two years in the playoffs...when your defense gives up only 17 points and you're averaging nearly 30 pts per game you are supposed to be able to close the deal...the defense played well enough to win against both Seattle and New York...the offense could'nt close...period.

all of us here would do well to remember that it ain't always the best team that wins a football game...a lesson we should've learned from last year.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
cowboys2233;2271283 said:
As opposed to what we did. 9.9 yards per pass play and 3 passing TDs.

We actually averaged 10.4 yards per pass play (312 yards on 30 pass plays). And that was with a 55-yard catch being called back.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2271310 said:
We actually averaged 10.4 yards per pass play (312 yards on 30 pass plays). And that was with a 55-yard catch being called back.

Nope, I've decided to use my own formula, which subtracts interception return yardage from total passing yards, similar to subtracting sack yardage from total passing yards.

It might not be "official," but I'm convinced it's more comparative if one is allowed to use lost yardage from sacks.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
fortdick;2271224 said:

Sorry, but the one the officials gave them (on the Henry PI call) is one of the same ones our offense gave them (it came right after the INT). So the Eagles scored 23 points on our defense. And gained 330 yards. And had exactly one play longer than 20 yards. I agree with you that it was not a bad defensive performance against a very strong offensive team.

I sure would like to see some takeaways, though...

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
...was it an airshow because of the NFC East Rivalry or is our defense that soft? what do you guys think....?

My opinion is #1 the Eagles probably know us better than any other team in the NFL aside from the Giants and took chances early knowing it was gonna be a shoot out, and said, wth if we win we win because of these big plays...there is a big chance we(eagles) are gonna lose.

or #2 Stewart has no conficence in our defense and it was his scheming that almost cost us the game, the zone defense was not working out, Jackson is so small simple bump n run would of probably took him out of the game, instead he ended up gaining a lot of yards.

soft coach soft defense.

zeromaster

Reaction score
Once upon a time...

I would hope that the endless introspection was just confined to the offseason. Or even better, before pre-season.

Now, I just hope to get through the week and onto the next game in spite of all the wrist-slitting and analysis by paralysis that's going on around here.

Actually, I lied. It doesn't matter, as long as the drinks are cold and the flatscreen's tuned in by gametime. Nothing we say here matters, it's all down on the field.

Go Cowboys...

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score

It's #2. Stewart is a tool, and almost cost us this Eagles game with poor formations, like hte ones that cost us the playoff game.