The Elite QB Farce

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I don’t necessarily think Dak is the answer. It’s just the most of the alternatives come with a cost I’m just not ready to contemplate quite yet. I’m much more comfortable with the suggestions of tagging him and kicking the can down the road another season.

Anyway, our situation reminds me of a couple of old classics.
  • “If you can’t be with the one you love honey, love the one you’re with”
  • “He may not be Mr. Right, but he’s Mr. Right Now”
Sometimes you just need to see the new thing to realize what you were missing when you were just playing it cool to not be lonely. I can get behind tagging him but I'm for drafting a 1st rd QB and I don't think you're on board with that program. That's cool though we all have our different ways of improving the team.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
No you're a hater because of the flip flopping, you and the Dak haters club is always changing what you say about Dak. It started off that he couldn't throw or make every throw, once he proved you wrong y'all switched to he can't throw 200 yards, than 250, than 300. It's always changing with you guys and that's why you are a hater and not because we disagree.

As far as other Cowboy QBs, Romo got the same treatment. It was maybe 50/50 on people that liked or disliked him. It's the Dallas Cowboys and you will always have a split like that on how folks look at them.

If Mahomes was QB for Dallas I bet you anything the same thing would happen with him.
Imagine if Prescott had 77 yards in a playoff game. Or just over 200 in 2 playoff games?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s quite possible that we see an early run on QB’s so I’m not sure this year we would even have an opportunity to do anything. There are some really QB hungry teams with high draft picks

1. Bengals - Need: QB - Pick - Burrow
  2. Commanders - Need: OL - Pick: Daniels
  3. Lions - Need: CB - Pick: Okudah
  4. Giants - Need: CB, OL - Pick: Jeudy
  5. Dolphins - Need: QB - Pick: Tua
  6. Chargers - Need: QB - Pick: Hebert

So, if we want to get ahead of the Dolphins or the Chargers we would need to make a trade.

Commanders are going to get the best player in the draft and a guy who has a chance to be an elite edge. No way they move out of that spot becauae they may never get another chance to get a guy like Young. Taking Young would make the Commanders D- Line absolutely terrifying for the next half dozen years

Lions - They need a CB but they can feel very confident that Okudah will be available at 7 but I wouldn’t expect him to get past the Cardinals at 8. Still, for reasons mentioned in the next paragraph this is likely the only way the Cowboys could get Tua or Hebert

Giants - They don’t *need* an elite WR as much as they need to fill some other holes. For most teams who might dream of moving up ahead of Miami, this would be the place to go. Probably a non-starter for the Cowboys though. How often do teams trade a top 5 pick to a division rival? Most would rather eat glass

so, what would it take to get the #3 overall?

Jimmy J’s draft pick analyzer shows we would probably need to give up #17 this year and our #1 next year plus a 2nd rounder to move up to #3 overall and those would be friend prices. It would likely take more.

I don’t know if many of us, even the most rabid Dak deniers would be fired up to do that just for a chance at a big injury risk in Tua or a guy like Hebert

Now, there are more QBs out there, but it starts to drop off and only two are likely worthy of being a late 1st or early 2nd pick.

Jake Fromm and Jacob Eason will likely both be there at #17 but neither are going to be there at #51. The Colts will almost certainly take one of them at #34.

Does Fromm do anything for anyone? What about Eason? Would you use #17 for either?
Do we still have a CB1 and WR1? If Eason is there, that will be the only shot at him unless they trade back up but he would be the one I would target if you want prototypical pocket passer.

The needs have yet to be established but a couple of mocks I've seen have Delpit as the 1st pick. If Big Mike wasn't the HC, I wouldn't buy this but he does put store in Safeties.

A QB in the 1st would not only be a risk but a luxury for a team with a solid D and that is not the Cowboys. And that's if they keep Jones.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I thought about that when it happened. But then I knew that wouldn't have happened with the old coaching staff because stars have to shine.
It's just interesting some fans here think Prescott is average and Garoppolo is the next best thing since buttered popcorn.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's just interesting some fans here think Prescott is average and Garoppolo is the next best thing since buttered popcorn.
Yep, do not get that at all. Dak is in that second tier of QB's, along with Garoppolo, and two of the Tier 1's, Brady and Rodgers, didn't play like it this year.

If the Niners had Prescott and the Cowboys Garoppolo, they'd want Prescott. QB's grow warts in Dallas that they do not have on other teams.

"You're always 17 in your hometown"......Cody Canada

khiladi

Reaction score
I live here. They already have. Jimmy G makes them nervous. He’s gonna be blamed for any shortcomings. Luckily his defense can make up for his mistakes by getting him the ball back in good field position after his interceptions, sacks and fumbles. He has a strong arm. But that’s all.

claiming 49ers fans think Dak is better than JG is bogus.

khiladi

Reaction score
I’d love for Dak to throw for 77 yards, because that would mean he wasn’t checking out of run plays and he’d be letting the best player on the team carry the offense, like Zeke did against the Rams.

JG threw that much, because the Packers couldn’t stop the run. JG didn’t throw for that much because he was limited in his arm.

keysersoze

Reaction score
claiming 49ers fans think Dak is better than JG is bogus.
I live here clown. It’s not bogus. They’re already saying that they hope JG doesn’t blow it because they believe it’ll be a shootout with Mahomes.

keysersoze

Reaction score
I’d love for Dak to throw for 77 yards, because that would mean he wasn’t checking out of run plays and he’d be letting the best player on the team carry the offense, like Zeke did against the Rams.

JG threw that much, because the Packers couldn’t stop the run. JG didn’t throw for that much because he was limited in his arm.
He’s a turnover machine. They know that so they went run heavy. JG gets rattled when sacked and pressured a lot. Smart coaching

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
I live here clown. It’s not bogus. They’re already saying that they hope JG doesn’t blow it because they believe it’ll be a shootout with Mahomes.

That means nothing as far as you claiming they thin he’s better than Dak. People will laugh at you if you say Dak can get in a shoot out with Mahomes. Getting in a shoot out with Mahomes is a completely different issue..

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
He’s a turnover machine. They know that so they went run heavy. JG gets rattled when sacked and pressured a lot. Smart coaching

Dak fumbles and gets rattled a lot when the pressure comes. It’s been his MO since college. What’s hilarious is people thinking JG throwing for 77 yards because GB couldn’t stop the run at all had anything to do with JG ability to throw the ball. That’s Dak homers for you..

Further, the 49ers were 11th in rushing attempts last year when JG played only THREE games. They went run-heavy because the Shanahan’s push out 1000 yard rushers all the time and they have some of the best zone blocking scheme.

JG has only played one full season.

Last edited:

Kwyn

Reaction score
Dak fumbles and gets rattled a lot when the pressure comes. It’s been his MO since college.
Hmm. Statistical reality would like to have a word

Dak was in a three way tie for 23rd amongst all QB’s. He had six.

Notable QB’s with more fumbles than Dak
  • Garropolo - your hero apparently
  • Wilson
  • Wentz
  • Jones
  • Minshew
  • Darnold
  • Lamar
  • Deshaun
  • Cousins
  • Rivers
  • Rodgers
  • Goff
  • Mayfield
  • Carr

JG has 10

Speaking of JG, and to quote a great man, "Let's not break out the anointing oil just yet."

Kwyn

Reaction score
Sometimes you just need to see the new thing to realize what you were missing when you were just playing it cool to not be lonely. I can get behind tagging him but I'm for drafting a 1st rd QB and I don't think you're on board with that program. That's cool though we all have our different ways of improving the team.
I really don’t think you and I are that far apart. We both wouldn’t be broken hearted with a tad for Dak and seeing what happened.

You would draft a QB in the first and I would probably take a DT or DB.

I’d be down for Burrow or Hebert, but I just think both would be almost impossible for us to get. I’m not willing to give up #1s in 2021 and 2022 plus #17 this year to move up to #3 or #4 which is what it would take to get ahead of the Fins and Chargers. Those two teams are projected on almost every board as buyers on Tua and Hebert at #5 and #6
Burrow would be another level of impossibility as Bengals fans would burn down the stadium if they traded off of him.

On Tua, I’m wary of mortgaging our draft future due to the health risk. If I was sitting at # 5 already, I might do it because at #5 you’re not very good and can maybe wait a year on him. That’s what The Dolphins will probably do.

Hell, with the Giants and Lions in a spot to entertain offers from teams trying to move ahead of Miami and the Chargers, there may actually be some action from QB needy teams to try to move up. We’re just too far down to compete in that type of scenario.

At #17 you’re looking at Fromm or season. Both may very well be available unless the Colts gets nervous and take one at 13, which they could if they think neither will fall to them at #34.

You might watch some video of those two if you want to go down the second/Third tier QB rabbit hole and see if you find something you like.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Do we still have a CB1 and WR1? If Eason is there, that will be the only shot at him unless they trade back up but he would be the one I would target if you want prototypical pocket passer.

The needs have yet to be established but a couple of mocks I've seen have Delpit as the 1st pick. If Big Mike wasn't the HC, I wouldn't buy this but he does put store in Safeties.

A QB in the 1st would not only be a risk but a luxury for a team with a solid D and that is not the Cowboys. And that's if they keep Jones.
I personally don’t think we have a CB1 and that is my main wish for #17. CB, DT or S, whoever is best available.

I was never quite sold on Amari as “the answer” but he’s at least close to being a WR1. Not elite, but I’m willing to pay the piper on a new deal or tag him and see what he does with new coaching. The alternative, which is going into next season with Gallup as our #1, scares me. I don’t like him week in week out getting the oppositions beat CB on him all game long. I wouldn’t want to take. WR at 17 either. Too many needs on defense.

If I was forced to take a QB at #17, I’d prefer Eason over Fromm. I just think that’s too early for either.

Fromm is scouted as being an “intangibles” guy and a “game manager”. I’m not down on either of those characteristics necessarily but the fact that he doesn’t have a great arm and isn’t much of a running threat isn’t the current recipe for success in the league. I think he would underwhelm here fans have a Mahomes or bust mentality

Eason does have a big arm and he’s a giant but he’s not as NFL ready as Fromm having missed some time. He also isn’t mobile. He has more upside I think but I would hesitate before adding him as the QB1 on a team with aspirations of a deep playoff run. Fans here might not mind him because he’d probably air out a handful of 50 yarder TD bombs and get the oohs and ahhs going.

if any team was going to take one of these guys higher than expected, it could be New England. I think Fromm would be good in the Patriots system. They need to do something to prepare for the old mans eventual retirement so I could see this happening.

Last edited:

keysersoze

Reaction score
Hmm. Statistical reality would like to have a word

Dak was in a three way tie for 23rd amongst all QB’s. He had six.

Notable QB’s with more fumbles than Dak
  • Garropolo - your hero apparently
  • Wilson
  • Wentz
  • Jones
  • Minshew
  • Darnold
  • Lamar
  • Deshaun
  • Cousins
  • Rivers
  • Rodgers
  • Goff
  • Mayfield
  • Carr

JG has 10

Speaking of JG, and to quote a great man, "Let's not break out the anointing oil just yet."
He cut his fumbles in half last season compared to 2018. 12-6.
More importantly, he only lost 2.

So your claim is really unfounded.
Yea. I’m tired of arguing with this dude and people like him. It’s just silly. All these falsehoods people create about Dak just to belittle him is appalling. It’s sick. Everyone is entitled to their honest opinion, but to just spit lies out of your azz to degrade a player and win an argument is disrespectful.
I live in the Bay Area and folks are nervous about the possibility of a Super Bowl Shootout and JG blowing it by having to keep up with Mahomes and Company if the defense can’t slow them down.
. In fact that is the only worry Niner fans are displaying right now. They’re pretty confident otherwise. But hey! What do I know? I only live here and have 93%of my family, friends and associates as Niner fans.
Yea..... :facepalm:

Reactions: G2