The false perception Stephen is running Cowboys Football

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Apparently there’s a growing perception with the overall better decisions and culture we’ve seen in personnel decisions we have fans and media who are framing a narrative that Stephen is now “running Cowboys Football”.

Interestingly I’ve even seen where they document it going back from anywhere between when Garrett took over in 2011 to Johnny Manziel .

Some even say with Jerry building his new stadium was the beginning of only part time duties as GM.

Fans are confusing delegating more air time to Stephen and listening more to the influences around him as a sign Jerry is no longer making the final decisions running Cowboys Football.

There are many signs quite to the contrary including major personnel decisions in draft like in War Room, final visits with key players like Dez , coaching decisions like firing Linehan along with no official announcement he’s taking any lesser role or increasing Stephens role.

I suspect we have fans who want to believe or take credit away from Jerry from being more influenced and delegating while still in control. And others who it probably provides them more hope if they believe Jerry isn’t in control.

Remember Parcells said “ you have to convince Jerry to go against his instincts” . Ive been a huge critic of Jerry thru the years. But he has a history of making better decisions with greater influence around him.

blueblood70

Reaction score
OR you yourself or anyone in here that perceives they know what goes on behind closed doors at the ranch must have hit their head because whatever you think you know, YOU DONT..

SORRY,

USELESS POSTGIVEN NOONE CAN BE RIGHT OR WRONG GIVEN WE DONT KNOW SQUAT ABOUT THE FO..

period end of story..i believe SJ and WM has a had a ton more input and power then they used to, not all, but A LOT! does it matter no we may not be winning championships but we are so much better off in that area then we were 10yrs ago, jerry spit the bit from 99-2005 and a few other bad years but things have changed and results show it..

Blackrain

Reaction score
Yep Greg people want to believe there is hope so because of some more logical decisions of late they try and talk themselves into believing Jerry is taking a step back .

The tell tale sign that he isn't is the fact Garrett is still here . Garrett being the only person that can give us a mediocre degree of success and still placate Jerry . If Jerry was backed out we would have a Game Day coach and actually be able to make use of the talent we have in the very short window the NFL gives you before everyone needs to be paid and you are talent poor again .

Really these decisions just show how much Jerry is still in charge and what he will do to afford himself the comfort in a coach that he requires . Jerrys comfort is first winning is secondary ,Top 5 Oline and a dominant power running game cover most of Garretts coaching flaws till the playoffs when everyone is good and our talent needs to be coached better than our opponent .

There is no SB in our future till Garrett is promoted to GM , Jerry steps back and a guy is hired that can out coach the guy across from him at least once in a while in big games. So adjust your expectations and set the bar at making the playoffs its Jerrys toy and that's the ceiling

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Yep Greg people want to believe there is hope so because of some more logical decisions of late they try and talk themselves into believing Jerry is taking a step back .

The tell tale sign that he isn't is the fact Garrett is still here . Garrett being the only person that can give us a mediocre degree of success and still placate Jerry . If Jerry was backed out we would have a Game Day coach and actually be able to make use of the talent we have in the very short window the NFL gives you before everyone needs to be paid and you are talent poor again .

Really these decisions just show how much Jerry is still in charge and what he will do to afford himself the comfort in a coach that he requires . Jerrys comfort is first winning is secondary ,Top 5 Oline and a dominant power running game cover most of Garretts coaching flaws till the playoffs when everyone is good and our talent needs to be coached better than our opponent .

There is no SB in our future till Garrett is promoted to GM , Jerry steps back and a guy is hired that can out coach the guy across from him at least once in a while in big games. So adjust your expectations and set the bar at making the playoffs its Jerrys toy and that's the ceiling
No doubt the old man understands his time alive is growing short thus, if he is going to see the team win another SB, he doesn't have time to reset the team with a Head Coaching change. That's all Jerry. Everything else is Stephen and Will.

John813

Reaction score
Is he solely running the GM spot? Nope.

I do believe Jerry is letting McClay and Stephen have more of a say in operations though.
And I do believe he's willing to be overruled if both say hell no to an idea, with Stephen having more of a say over McClay.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Ask Dez Bryant who's making the decisions.......pretty sure we'll get a different answer than Jerry(LOL). Other words, I'm not sure a player stays on this team if Stephen doesn't want him.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Ask Dez Bryant who's making the decisions.......pretty sure we'll get a different answer than Jerry(LOL). Other words, I'm not sure a player stays on this team if Stephen doesn't want him.
Who had the last words with Dez?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No doubt the old man understands his time alive is growing short thus, if he is going to see the team win another SB, he doesn't have time to reset the team with a Head Coaching change. That's all Jerry. Everything else is Stephen and Will.
Of course. Garretts not involved at all in influencing decisions. It’s just a coincidence better drafts and decisions begun when he took over in 2011. Lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The only logical conclusion is he has amnesia. Gregg has been stuck on the same 2 conversations for at least 6 years and doesn't remember having them.

Just dropping in. Hope all is well, my friend.
They’re the most important issues IMO. Nothing effects Cowboys Football more. And there’s always the possibility to influence new fans.

I appreciate you adding to the post count despite the personal insult.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Christ sake, everyone on this board knows your Jerry Jones take, why keep trolling over and over?
Because new issues arise and discussions incur which presents an opportunity to open up the discussion again for anyone who hasn’t. I’m seeing a growing perception Stephen is running Cowboys Football.

Sorry if it’s repetitive to you. Not sure why you’d bore yourself but thanks for adding to the post count.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The only logical conclusion is he has amnesia. Gregg has been stuck on the same 2 conversations for at least 6 years and doesn't remember having them.

Just dropping in. Hope all is well, my friend.
Hey man! Good to hear from ya.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Is he solely running the GM spot? Nope.

I do believe Jerry is letting McClay and Stephen have more of a say in operations though.
And I do believe he's willing to be overruled if both say hell no to an idea, with Stephen having more of a say over McClay.
I’d agree Jerry is listening more to the influence around him. But they must still convince Jerry to go against his instincts and it’s obvious Jerry is still making the final decisions.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think Jerry is the final word but I know there are many who are involved in personnel moves. I don't believe Jerry is calling the shot with no input. However I don't think any team or GM makes calls without a lot of input from others within the organization. In the end someone must make the final call in Dallas that is Jerry. We can say he has not done enough to get this team to the SB but based on players we have I see a lot of pro bowl quality players on this team