The false perception Stephen is running Cowboys Football

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yep

Just because Jerry is more influenced by those around him doesn’t mean he still doesn’t make some good decisions of his own.

It all goes back to convincing Jerry to go against his instincts which all of them aren’t bad.

We can find these isolated instances on both sides of the isle to support our perceptions and opinions.

I don't think Jerry tries to do it on his own. He clearly is the final word but I think as Parcells said will listen to those around him. Was he interested in Manziel? Yes but them a lot of teams had interest, Texans fans were upset when they did not draft him. Most of the talking heads felt Dallas should take him. Thankfully there were those in the organization who knew the risk with Manziel and convinced Jerry to move in a different direction. People love portraying Jerry as some idiot, myself I see him as I do many successful people in business who look to bring in good people and listen to what they have to say before making a decision.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
well look at the amari trade, stephen could not do that on his own without jerrys approval.
I think they being the jones boys decided they had to get a good # 1 wr, and coaches and will produced the options, and they probably all
thought amari was the one to get.
But this deal is never made if jerry isnt all in on it.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't think Jerry tries to do it on his own. He clearly is the final word but I think as Parcells said will listen to those around him. Was he interested in Manziel? Yes but them a lot of teams had interest, Texans fans were upset when they did not draft him. Most of the talking heads felt Dallas should take him. Thankfully there were those in the organization who knew the risk with Manziel and convinced Jerry to move in a different direction. People love portraying Jerry as some idiot, myself I see him as I do many successful people in business who look to bring in good people and listen to what they have to say before making a decision.
Spoken as if you were a fly on the wall when the decisions were being made... which we all know you weren't. Good story though, bro. :thumbup:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Right... Jerry isn’t as much of an Idiot as some portray. His biggest shortcoming is in his personal agendas in his coaching staffs not personnel decisions.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
well look at the amari trade, stephen could not do that on his own without jerrys approval.
I think they being the jones boys decided they had to get a good # 1 wr, and coaches and will produced the options, and they probably all
No, it was more like Stephen and Will went to Jerry and said we are doing this and Jerry just nodded in acknowledgment of what was being done.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yep and how about the Gregory pick. Or the Hardy deal. Anyone else have the power to make those deals but Jerry.

Interesting that those who believe Stephen is running the show they must also believe Jerry is intentionally not giving his Son more credit.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Spoken as if you were a fly on the wall when the decisions were being made... which we all know you weren't. Good story though, bro. :thumbup:

No get the same info as most. I base my view on what Parcells has said about working with Jerry and how there is a false perception of Jones. I know Jerry had an interest in Manziel he even has talked of that during that time. Living In Houston and Manziel playing at Texas A&M I know fans here were upset when Texans did not pick him up.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I agree. They were banking on the guys they had to start the season to be able to do the job, once that did not pan out they took the risk on Copper and as we saw it turned the season around.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Yep and how about the Gregory pick. Or the Hardy deal. Anyone else have the power to make those deals but Jerry.

Interesting that those who believe Stephen is running the show they must also believe Jerry is intentionally not giving his Son more credit.
Jerry wants to be the one that takes the Lombardi trophy from Goodell's hands. In that way, sure he's in charge. :muttley:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Apparently there’s a growing perception with the overall better decisions and culture we’ve seen in personnel decisions we have fans and media who are framing a narrative that Stephen is now “running Cowboys Football”.

Interestingly I’ve even seen where they document it going back from anywhere between when Garrett took over in 2011 to Johnny Manziel .

Some even say with Jerry building his new stadium was the beginning of only part time duties as GM.

Fans are confusing delegating more air time to Stephen and listening more to the influences around him as a sign Jerry is no longer making the final decisions running Cowboys Football.

There are many signs quite to the contrary including major personnel decisions in draft like in War Room, final visits with key players like Dez , coaching decisions like firing Linehan along with no official announcement he’s taking any lesser role or increasing Stephens role.

I suspect we have fans who want to believe or take credit away from Jerry from being more influenced and delegating while still in control. And others who it probably provides them more hope if they believe Jerry isn’t in control.

Remember Parcells said “ you have to convince Jerry to go against his instincts” . Ive been a huge critic of Jerry thru the years. But he has a history of making better decisions with greater influence around him.
Jerry Meddling will never stop, even after he passes away, he will continue to meddle from the beyond. Garrett wanted to let Linehan go in 2018, but Jerry meddled and kept Linehan....

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry wants to be the one that takes the Lombardi trophy from Goodell's hands. In that way, sure he's in charge. :muttley:

Do you think Stephen will rise up and grab the Lombardi out of Jerry’s hand claiming he’s been running Cowboys Football ?

And why hasn’t Jerry admitted to turning over more control to Stephen ? Is Jerry that evil??

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
No get the same info as most. I base my view on what Parcells has said about working with Jerry and how there is a false perception of Jones. I know Jerry had an interest in Manziel he even has talked of that during that time. Living In Houston and Manziel playing at Texas A&M I know fans here were upset when Texans did not pick him up.
So now Parcell's was in the war room with you and Jerry when the decision was made on Manziel? Thanks for this great insider perspective. :rolleyes:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So now Parcell's was in the war room with you and Jerry when the decision was made on Manziel? Thanks for this great insider perspective. :rolleyes:
Where exactly are you getting your insider info to dispute?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If Stephen rises up to take more credit than Daddy for running Cowboys Football will Jerry fire his son?

Still I have no one who will address why Jerry has refused to publicly acknowledge Stephen is running Cowboys Football.