The false perception Stephen is running Cowboys Football

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think Jerry is the final word but I know there are many who are involved in personnel moves. I don't believe Jerry is calling the shot with no input. However I don't think any team or GM makes calls without a lot of input from others within the organization. In the end someone must make the final call in Dallas that is Jerry. We can say he has not done enough to get this team to the SB but based on players we have I see a lot of pro bowl quality players on this team
Agreed...

My argument is Stephen is NOT “ running Cowboys Football” as I’ve seen suggested more often lately and why I felt compelled to start this thread.

That said he’s probably a more visible component and a collaborative contributor.

It appears Jerry is being convinced more to go against his instincts.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Yep Greg people want to believe there is hope so because of some more logical decisions of late they try and talk themselves into believing Jerry is taking a step back .

The tell tale sign that he isn't is the fact Garrett is still here . Garrett being the only person that can give us a mediocre degree of success and still placate Jerry . If Jerry was backed out we would have a Game Day coach and actually be able to make use of the talent we have in the very short window the NFL gives you before everyone needs to be paid and you are talent poor again .

Really these decisions just show how much Jerry is still in charge and what he will do to afford himself the comfort in a coach that he requires . Jerrys comfort is first winning is secondary ,Top 5 Oline and a dominant power running game cover most of Garretts coaching flaws till the playoffs when everyone is good and our talent needs to be coached better than our opponent .

There is no SB in our future till Garrett is promoted to GM , Jerry steps back and a guy is hired that can out coach the guy across from him at least once in a while in big games. So adjust your expectations and set the bar at making the playoffs its Jerrys toy and that's the ceiling
good post, that is about how I see it.
I will say also that it isnt that jerry is stepping back or giving power to stephen, it is that he has changed and learned to listen to others more.
The cowboys are run by a group effort now, with the 2 jones boys being the heads of the group, and I imagine jerry still has to approve all decisions.
It is only natural that stephen would have more say and power after all the years by his dads side,but jerry is still the big boss, he just has changed learned,
and listens to the group more than he used to.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
good post, that is about how I see it.
I will say also that it isnt that jerry is stepping back or giving power to stephen, it is that he has changed and learned to listen to others more.
The cowboys are run by a group effort now, with the 2 jones boys being the heads of the group, and I imagine jerry still has to approve all decisions.
It is only natural that stephen would have more say and power after all the years by his dads side,but jerry is still the big boss, he just has changed learned,
and listens to the group more than he used to.
Agreed

But Jerry has a history of listening more to greater influence around him like with Jimmy and Bill.

When did we begin seeing Jerry influenced more again? About 2011

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yep Greg people want to believe there is hope so because of some more logical decisions of late they try and talk themselves into believing Jerry is taking a step back .

The tell tale sign that he isn't is the fact Garrett is still here . Garrett being the only person that can give us a mediocre degree of success and still placate Jerry . If Jerry was backed out we would have a Game Day coach and actually be able to make use of the talent we have in the very short window the NFL gives you before everyone needs to be paid and you are talent poor again .

Really these decisions just show how much Jerry is still in charge and what he will do to afford himself the comfort in a coach that he requires . Jerrys comfort is first winning is secondary ,Top 5 Oline and a dominant power running game cover most of Garretts coaching flaws till the playoffs when everyone is good and our talent needs to be coached better than our opponent .

There is no SB in our future till Garrett is promoted to GM , Jerry steps back and a guy is hired that can out coach the guy across from him at least once in a while in big games. So adjust your expectations and set the bar at making the playoffs its Jerrys toy and that's the ceiling
Yea.. I suspect the rhetoric has much to do about fans hope wanting to believe Jerry isn’t making final decisions.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Because new issues arise and discussions incur which presents an opportunity to open up the discussion again for anyone who hasn’t. I’m seeing a growing perception Stephen is running Cowboys Football.

Sorry if it’s repetitive to you. Not sure why you’d bore yourself but thanks for adding to the post count.
Yeah no. You're fine tuning your trolling. You move the goalpost slightly every time, but the underlined theme is always the same. You're confident that fans here can't identify that and that's where you're wrong.
I know how forums work. No need to attempt to explain.

I just wonder (and am curious) what you will do if the team fails another postseason and they replace JG. How will you manage?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah no. You're fine tuning your trolling. You move the goalpost slightly every time, but the underlined theme is always the same. You're confident that fans here can't identify that and that's where you're wrong.
I know how forums work. No need to attempt to explain.

I just wonder (and am curious) what you will do if the team fails another postseason and they replace JG. How will you manage?
I’m not convinced that will occur. And as usual will take on the issues as they unfold. I had ample to discuss before Garrett was HC and am certain I will after .

Often we see new issues and concerns arise which spark renewing old discussions and why they often need to be revisited and rehashed as they spin or shed a different light on events.

These new events can also provide another opportunity to present a narrative and opinion to hopefully plant a new seed to nurture and grow.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Agreed...

My argument is Stephen is NOT “ running Cowboys Football” as I’ve seen suggested more often lately and why I felt compelled to start this thread.

That said he’s probably a more visible component and a collaborative contributor.

It appears Jerry is being convinced more to go against his instincts.

Die......I just said the same thing (LOL LOL)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Agreed

But Jerry has a history of listening more to greater influence around him like with Jimmy and Bill.

When did we begin seeing Jerry influenced more again? About 2011

True but Jerry still made the call. It was Parcells wanting Spears ahead of Ware but Ireland convinced Jerry Ware should be the pick. In the end Dallas got both but Ireland was right on the Ware pick and Jerry was right for going with the suggestion.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
True but Jerry still made the call. It was Parcells wanting Spears ahead of Ware but Ireland convinced Jerry Ware should be the pick. In the end Dallas got both but Ireland was right on the Ware pick and Jerry was right for going with the suggestion.
Yep

Just because Jerry is more influenced by those around him doesn’t mean he still doesn’t make some good decisions of his own.

It all goes back to convincing Jerry to go against his instincts which all of them aren’t bad.

We can find these isolated instances on both sides of the isle to support our perceptions and opinions.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I’m not convinced that will occur. And as usual will take on the issues as they unfold. I had ample to discuss before Garrett was HC and am certain I will after .

Often we see new issues and concerns arise which spark renewing old discussions and why they often need to be revisited and rehashed as they spin or shed a different light on events.

These new events can also provide another opportunity to present a narrative and opinion to hopefully plant a new seed to nurture and grow.
Rinse and repeat.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Stephen and Will. Jerry didn't want to cut Dez but he got over ruled.

This is a perfect example of how Jerry was convinced to go against his instincts but he still made the final decision after his final visit with Dez.

John813

Reaction score
I’d agree Jerry is listening more to the influence around him. But they must still convince Jerry to go against his instincts and it’s obvious Jerry is still making the final decisions.

Yea, I think he makes the final decision based off talks among the 3 or 4(including Garrett).
IMO he would of never cut Dez if he was the still the one man show.
So, I believe he has learned to at least listen to others and change his view when it's clear he's on an island.
Which, is good enough for me.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Of course. Garretts not involved at all in influencing decisions. It’s just a coincidence better drafts and decisions begun when he took over in 2011. Lol
Why are you going here? I'm not talking about Garrett's influence. You just pulled this out of thin air.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yea, I think he makes the final decision based off talks among the 3 or 4(including Garrett).
IMO he would of never cut Dez if he was the still the one man show.
So, I believe he has learned to at least listen to others and change his view when it's clear he's on an island.
Which, is good enough for me.
I think Jerry has always listened going back to Jimmy and Bill. He just isn’t always convinced to go against his instincts.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry didn't make the "final" decision on Dez. His part was deferring to Stephen and Will and delivering the news to Dez.
That’s your perception of the events. I don’t agree.

I believe Jerry was convinced to go against his instincts and delivered the final word to Dez.

Which is in effect the final decision.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I think Jerry has always listened going back to Jimmy and Bill. He just isn’t always convinced to go against his instincts.
LOL, grasping at straws and still clinging on to your tenuous connection to reality. Fight it! Jerry is still the final word!